Hepatitis C Community
diarrhea

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

diarrhea

Does anyone else have extreme cramps and bloating in stomach that go along with the diarrhea or if not go along I have both. The cramp are bad below my left rig cage really bad. But right this second kind if all around. No fever right now bit I've had it off and on woththese cramps for at least a week
Hospital checked one thing really only one thong and releases me til they got results 4 days later and I have no desire to go back results negative.  My primary says call my hep Dr and I have to go thru the nurse at hep Dr who keeps blowing me off. So here I am asking at least til I can get some dang Dr answers does or did anyone else have the cramping and bloating pain issue?
My wife said her injection site on her abdomen was hurting real bad. She's got her shirt up and she's rubbing her belly. i can see the red dot were she did her shot a good 3" (75mm) below were she was rubbing. I used to get bloating and abdominal pain a lot before and during TX. I had been for tests many times and always came back negative. Mine were always on my right side tough, near the liver. My liver doctor said that the liver doesn't transmit pain, it does not have sensory nerves. She should have tried my liver on and see if she changed her mind. I'm OK now and my wife's pain is not bad enough to have her complaining continuously. It will probably pass if your tests come back negative.
Are you on triple therapy with Inciveck?  That will cause intestinal issues.  There are lots of threads if you do a search that talk about this.  
Yes, incivek does this to me. I believe you are on bocep which I don't know too much about though.
The upper left quadrant contains the stomach, spleen, left lobe of liver and the pancreas and parts of the colon. That means the hospital likely ruled out the obvious, major conditions.

Both doctors and hospitals are trained to find pathology. If there is none they are unlikely to troubleshoot elsewhere. When that happens sometimes it helps to relax, think and start looking for patterns and possible triggers. For example, when exactly did the pain and cramping start? Does it happen after you eat? If so how many hours?

You have no fever but how about nausea, vomiting, weight loss, abscesses and fatigue? Obviously  I am not trained to trouble shoot what is going on with you but if all the above mentioned are ruled out then the only thing I would suggest next is good colon health. Cramping, bloating and diarrhea rather than normal healthy bowel movement can indicate IBS, Crohn's Disease and the like to name a few however since those seem to have been ruled out then the place I would start is your eating habits, hydration and lifestyle.

This is where the nutritional values of the foods you eat come in handy as wells as fiber and staying hydrated come into play.. I don't want to post a Treatise on Eating Habits and Colon Health if I am on the wrong track but I encourage you to think exactly when the symptoms you mention occur and more important when they do not. You may come up with some answers. Other than that I'm afraid you may have no other choice but to follow through with your doctor's office.

All of us have had to deal with the nurse or a PA at our doctor's office so believe me I know what a hassle this is. The thing is your doctor is a Hepatologist and other than a GI I can't think of a better person to see about this. That is why if the others do not offer more insight and advice that is what I encourage you to follow through with.

I am sorry this is happening as it must be incredibly uncomfortable. I am glad the hospital didn't find anything major wrong with you and I hope your doctor doesn't either.
I am treating with interferon/Riba and I have been experiencing abdominal cramping and diarrhea, at first it was always the day after injection, now it hits anytime at random about once or twice a week. I have been using Imodium (immodium) (Loperamide) and it has helped some, have you tried using that?
I had lots of cramps (mostly lower but some stomach) while on Incivek. It actually got worse for about a week after the Incivek was finished, then improved but only partially. I'm now on week 26 of 48, and I still have daily intestinal cramping with occasional diarrhea (frequent but not quite every day). It is usually worse in the 3-4 days after my weekly injection. I've just been starting to think maybe I should ask my hepatologist about it. I've also lost a significant amount of weight - about 20 pounds since I finished the Incivek on Jan 16. This is the first time in my life that I've ever lost weight without trying, even on my previous tx I managed to gain rather than lose. I'm not at all sorry about the weight loss, as I'm still carrying about 20 pounds more than my ideal weight, but it is so unusual for me that I am slightly concerned.

I think I will take Idyllic's advice and try to see if I can form any links with my diet.
Yeah, I was having bloating yesterday, the day after the Inf shot, but no runs, just constipated, but that could be because I am 20 yrs older than you, so that's what kind of happens as you age, you get more binded.
   I notice my bloatingis worse if I eat out, like when we went to Dennys' the other day,or yesterday, I had this old Deli potatoe salad, and then the bloats, my stomach looked pregnant.
   I drank a bunchof coofee, and had sweets, beforethe bloat. Then I went to bed, after drinking a bunch of water, and almost peed in my bed, at like, 4 am, so I am wonderingif my kidney is shot out.
  I give my kids th BRAT diet for diarrhea: Bananas (white)Rice, apple-sauce and (white)toast....the white rice seems to absorb the irritants well~
I am on Vic. And the hospital only checked for 1 thing I know because they told me they were only checking for c.diff because of the antibiotic I was on two weeks ago they didn't check for anything else. I also know because I got the results I always get results now. I am having fever off and on, my Dr is a g.I. and my nurse is a b!ich that's why I dontlike going thru her if I could talk to the p.a I'd be happy I love her. The thing is they thought it was due to the antibiotics and now that that is riled out they should be doing something else and they are not. And since yesterday its been constant stomach cramps, double the diarrhea then just from the treatment or the antibiotics and fever off and on. I know you aren't drs but I'm havingissues with them and I needed to know if anyone else hadthese symptoms to at leastcalm me down until I can get my g.I pa to call or into the g.I. and thanks for the colon health advice I have been tryingto pay very close attention to that more so since I started treatment. And when I started hurting but no corolation I can see and theoaat two days have been constant so who knows. Thanks for your replays so far thoigh.
I am on Vic. And the hospital only checked for 1 thing I know because they told me they were only checking for c.diff because of the antibiotic I was on two weeks ago they didn't check for anything else. I also know because I got the results I always get results now. I am having fever off and on, my Dr is a g.I. and my nurse is a b!ich that's why I dontlike going thru her if I could talk to the p.a I'd be happy I love her. The thing is they thought it was due to the antibiotics and now that that is riled out they should be doing something else and they are not. And since yesterday its been constant stomach cramps, double the diarrhea then just from the treatment or the antibiotics and fever off and on. I know you aren't drs but I'm havingissues with them and I needed to know if anyone else hadthese symptoms to at leastcalm me down until I can get my g.I pa to call or into the g.I. and thanks for the colon health advice I have been tryingto pay very close attention to that more so since I started treatment. And when I started hurting but no corolation I can see and theoaat two days have been constant so who knows. Thanks for your replays so far though.
If you are on Vic and at the 10 week mark then I don't see why what you are feeling can't be related to the Vic. I have used Immodium before and it has helped only I am reluctant to suggest it since I really think you need to know the underlying cause of these 'side effects'

This just really sounds like it could possibly be related to the protease inhibitor. I would try to get ahold of the PA if you don't want to hassle with the nurse. Wish I had better ideas. Sorry this is happening.
On inc.. as soon as I get the diarrhea I buy bananas and white toast. when so get rid of the diarrhea I get rid of the cramps.

it takes me usually a couple days to bind back up. Dr. should be suggesting ways to treat your diarrhea better. It's fine if they are looking for the reason, but they should be trying to alleviate your symptoms.

Hopefully he can recommend a good safe anti diarrheal pill or some water soluble fiber.
  Hmmm, it sounds bad. I hope it resolves quickly, I know the natural yogurt has acidophilus in it.  Check with your Doctor, I have heard of this with Incivek, but I dont know too many people besides us, on the Victrelis.
   Normally I take Pepto Bismo for that problem, but you will have to check with your G.I. Doctor first, in case there is a drug interaction. The fever is probably from you being dehydrated, from losing all that fluid. You have to try to replenish your fluids, maybe by sipping coconut water, which contains potassium, or if that isn't around, even a sports drink or Seven Up or Ginger-ale is better then nothing.
   Try making the white rice, and keep sipping fluids. All the white foods are good for diarrhea, and avoid greasy food, I'll be praying for you~
Hey you!

I had the cramping/diarrhea thing but what cured it for me was two things:

1. Healthy Origins, Probiotic, 30 Billion (http://www.iherb.com/Healthy-Origins-Probiotic-30-Billion-CFU-s-150-Vcaps/19519) This is the only probiotic I have taken that I have actually noticed a difference with and the reviews say the same thing

2. Heather's Tummy Care Fiber (http://www.iherb.com/Heather-s-Tummy-Care-Acacia-Senegal-Tummy-Fiber-Organic-16-oz-453-g/16509) A flavorless, easy to swallow fiber

I used to have IBS type symtoms (symptoms) all the time and I also suffer from diverticultis but have not had an attacvk since taking both of these.

A little pricey (but iherb has the lowest prices I have found) but when yu are laying on the bathroom floor qt 3 in the morning crying for your Mama, it is DEFINITELY worth it!!!

Hang in there girl!!!
You are all being very helpful thank you very much! And they weren't thinking it was the Vic because it got so Mich worse so quickly and because they were tripped up on the antibiotic I was on causing c.diff. anyway I have been trying banana white toast all that stuff when nothing helped I kind of got tired of eating that and still being miserable. And the Dr told me not to take Imodium (immodium) or similar for some reason but that was when they thought it was c.diff now that we know its not I haven't heard back except for my nurse saying when I called if there was a problem with the culture  I would have called you, and me replying well there is a problem that's why I decided to call you. Thanks for all your suggestions I appreciate them and B.D I am gonna try what you said and we will see where that goes. All I know is if this continues they will pull me off treatment my Dr is quick to do that apparently and I really don't want that so I will try anything to nip it in the butt (bud) anyway thanks guys/girls.
I have also experienced the bloating and some pain/cramps with it. I think in my case that it had to do with the digestion, I ate a huge steak in the hunger for red blood cells (lol) and suffered from bloating (looked pregnant..) for some weeks after that.
Be careful with too much heavy food (meat) and eat more yoghurt, fruit, vegetables, rice.

Very best of luck and hope you get rid of this problem soon.
By the way, I'm also on triple tx with Vic :)
So sorry you are going through this.  I was on Incivek and had the same problem for 12 weeks I thought it was part of the tx.  Later, I found out I should have reported as for that one sx the doc could have helped me.
Can you make an appt with doc and tell  him your concerns?  I know, who feels like going to the doc when you are so sick, it was horrible for me as well, practically crawled in there.  Can you ask the receptionist to have the PA call you?  Perhaps if you start to ask to speak to the doc or the PA this nurse will be more helpful.  Did she tell you the doc might pull you from tx?  Frijole might be able to advise she is on the Vic