diet on incivek?
my wife started the incivek etc. program today, we read that she should have a meal with 20 grams of fat before each dose... any healthy diet suggestions ??
not saying at all that you shouldnt do that.  my doc said with some fat and if nothing else make sure you eat Something.  I have had a very hard time eating 20 g of fat 3 times a day.  Lots of days I just dont feel Like I could eat anything when It is time to take the meds.  I just do the best I can in a yucky situation.  I do find my self justifying eating at Micky D's a little more.  I have found that I am getting weird cravings.  Big Macs, steaks, italian dressing, club soda,  avacados. Im sure there are more but if forgot them already.  
A couple of  suggestions on the labeling were -- 2 tablespoons of peanutbutter, bagel & creamcheese.

I checked the grocery store and a Klondike bar has 17 grams. (oh, would I ever be in trouble if I ate a Klondike bar every night for 12 weeks)

The labeling for Incivek clearly says eat 20 grams of fat for optimum benefit so what his3707 is saying is not for optimal absorption.  If I did the Incivek I would definitely want to max out the absorption so that 60 grams of fat is a definite obstacle for me.

What is best way to get the 60 grams of fat while managing diabetes?

Also, for the longest time I thought low fat is best for compensated liver.....finding it hard to figure this fat diet out.

Any suggestion for diabetes on Invicek?
Just off the top of my head, I would suggest an avocado ( if, of course, you love avocados. like I do) . It has very healthy fat and many great nutrients.  During tx we need to eat healthy whole foods and this fits the bill. Nutritional info below. According to this, we would need to eat almost a whole med size avocado, but one could tweek that.
(it also gives us some good calories for those that don't want to lose weight)
@somuchmore2....I alway heard it was ONLY saturated fat that was very bad for the liver.

Macronutrients:
•Water: 125.13 g
•Calories: 289
•Protein: 3.39 g

•Carbohydrates: 14.95 g
•Fiber: 11.8 g
Sugars: 0.52 g

•Total Fat: 26.66 g
•Saturated Fat: 3.678 g
•Monounsaturated Fat: 16.952 g
•Polyunsaturated Fat: 3.142 g
•Cholesterol:0 mg
Micronutrients:
•Calcium: 22 mg
•Iron: 1.06 mg
•Magnesium: 50 mg
•Phosphorus: 93 mg
•Potassium: 877 mg
•Sodium: 14 mg
•Zinc: 1.18 mg
•Vitamin C: 15.2 mg
•Thiamin: 0.130 mg
•Riboflavin: 0.247 mg
•Niacin: 3.308 mg
•Pantothenic Acid: 2.531 mg
•Vitamin B6: 0.497 mg
Vitamin B12: 0 mcg

•Folate: 154 mcg
•Vitamin A: 254 IU
•Vitamin E: 3.41
Vitamin K: 42.2 mcg

Phytonutrients:
•Phytosterols: 143 mg
•beta Carotene: 109 mcg
•beta Cryptoxanthin: 47 mcg
•Lycopene: 0 mcg
•Lutein and Zeaxanthin: 469 mcg
It isn't that fat is good for the liver -- it is a temporary issue of absorption of Incicek.  -- so it is a case where you just have to do this for 12 weeks -- the benefits outweigh the downside.  

I think you will hve to do a little studying to come up with a plan on diabetes.  I would stick my foot in my mouth if i made any suggestions there.

frijole
The first couple of weeks I really tried to make sure I got the 20g at each dose.  As the side effects, nausea in particular set in I had to start being creative As I went along, the foods I was using, just one example full 16 ounch glass of whole milk with and with carnation instant breakfast.  Now I cant stand to even think about it. These foods get scratched off the list. As Im sitting up in bed with the pills in my hand as my eyes dart back and forth to the commode, Im terrified that the dose might come right back up.  Ive run out of things to eat.  Im too sick to think of what new stuff to buy at the supermarket.   Im at the end of week 7 with5 more to go.  that is 35 more days 3 times a day 105 more servings to go !  147servings down.  When the anemia sets in, and you cant lift your arm to spoon in the nasty tasting chocolate pudding that you use to love, you just do the very best you can.  I would chart my course ahead of time and have everything lined up.  When you cant get to the grocery store make sure you have your list ready so someone else can do it for you.  You might get more doses in with the full 20 grams.  Hopefully you will only have to take the two horse pills twice a day and that will certainly help.  if they get stuck in your throat, and dissolve at all since they are not coated,  At least the trial doses are not, watch out....  uggg! you might find your whole mind set about food will be altered, for how long,  lets hope not forever,    Not pretty, but That is MY real life experience in staying the course!
Hi ya kathy, myself i think eating Klondike bars or just icecream 3 times a day is a good ideal, not that my 401 depends on it..........:)

cando
I started on Incivek (week 2) and was told about the 20 mg of fat. I usually eat low-to-no fat so I wasn't sure how this was going to work. The pharmacist suggested cream cheese (about a one inch cube on something), ice cream, peanut butter, even chips. My stomach is apparently sensitive to these new meds and I have found that if I eat something with enough fat in it, the pills don't bother me. In the morning I put my cream cheese on 1/4 of a cinnamon raisin muffin and I am enjoying it! I haven't had full fat cream cheese in years. My midday pills I take with a small sandwich and a small bag of chips and that takes care of the fat quotient. My last pills are at bedtime and I have to make sure I get enough fat and whatever in my stomach so I am not nauseous (sp?) in the morning. I am using ice cream for that. A half cup of Haagen Dazs will do it just fine! I will keep an eye out for ways to get the fat for diabetics. Cream cheese, peanut butter and chips all should work. I have to admit I tried sunflower seeds which have enough fat but don't coat your stomach or anything. I was extremely sick to my stomach the next morning. I hope things go better for you, his3707. Anything can get old and I am still new to this.
G
Cowboy, i really need to add here that if your wife has you behind her supporting her as it sounds that you are in coming here yourself to get information for her, she will have the greatest chance of making sure she gets what is required for SVR!  I commend you for taking out the time to care for your wife.  She is going to need you 100% to help her in the diet area.  That is so important as you have seen.  She is not going to feel like putting a menu together lots of times.  Way to go Cowboy!  Your wife is very fortunate to have you!
my doctor told me during my treatment to eat whatever i wanted.no special diet just try to eat the fat with every meal.the peanut butter got old by the first week.i eat a fatty breakfast, bacon, eggs, sausage,cheese,cream cheese and ham bagel,whatever is pleasing to the palet and provides fat.dinner is easy to get the fat
My rule of thumb was eat what my stomach could keep down, what my nose would let get past my lips, what my body craved and what was easy to make.

Here are a few suggestions:
Nuts - I always had a jar/can handy so I could eat a hand full before taking my Riba. Also peanutbutter on soda crackers or whole grain toast was easy.

Everyday I would fill up my blender with fruits on hand, big scoop of ice cream and fruit juice to make a smoothie.

Avocados halved and stuffed with mayo/tuna (I used the skin as a bowl so I didn't need to wash a dish)

Hi All,
I will be starting the Incivek in a couple of days and have been looking into the fat issue, so here are some suggestions for you. It would be really nice if everyone could add to the list so we can all vary our diets, and try to comply as much as possible. I wish every one the best - We Can Do This!!!

Taylor Ham - 6 gms/slice (you may know it as pork roll, if you are south of New Jersey!)
Egg – 5gms
American cheese – 5 grms/slice
Bran Muffin – 5 grms
Frozen Waffles – 3.5 grms each
Pancakes – 7.6, (4)
Biscuit – 5.1 grms
Granola – 33 grms / cup
Cream Cheese – 10 grms/ounce
Milk Chocolate – 10 grms/ounce
Cheeseburger 4 oz – 30 grms
Potato salad – 10 grms/ ½ cup (eggs Mayo type)
Hot Dog – 18 grms
Yogurt – 7.4 grms, 1 cup
Sausage Links – ?
Eskimo Ice cream – 17 grms
Nature Valley Roasted nut Crunch – 1 bar – 13grms
Peanut Butter – 8 grms/tablespoon

Thanks a bunch.....I find these comments very helpful..
Oh his3707, I remember feeling as bad as you describe and I want to suggest Zofran as an anti-nausea med that really helped me.  I took it just once a day during the Incivek dosing and it made a difference, quelling the nausea that plagued me.

Here's my contribution to the food list:

French toast:  one egg beaten, soak a piece of bread in it, then fry it up with butter (sprinkle with cinnamon while cooking, smells so great!) and serve with Maple syrup, yummy meal any time of day!  This was a real treat while on tx!!
there are good fats and bad fats as there good carbs and bad carbs - avoid the bad stuff
Really?  Granola has 33 gms of fat per cup?  If so, that seems the most sane for mornings.  No grease and plenty of fiber.
There are some good ideas here.  I would worry the nausea would make me throw up my dose of incevik (if I was taking it).  I had not realized that hit so many people.  his3707 - I really appreciate your personal insights.

note to Can do Man -- I hope you get fabulously wealthy and your 401K grows to immense proportions because everyone on incivek is eating enormous amounts of ice cream.

bean
I think we should all invest in ice cream the full fat kind, which I have not eaten in years. I do so like a sugar cone with chocolate, (i know boring) from Braums. Haven't had one in years think I might try it though.
Has anyone tried coconut oil or coconut butter? It is supposed to have many healhy benifits that make it sound like just the ticket! I am going to be starting on Incivek and the rest pretty soon and I think I will try adding this to my fat count.
Here is an interesting article on the subject of HCV and coconut oil:
http://www.hepatitis-central.com/mt/archives/2011/04/should_you_incl.html
Thanks for the link about coconut oil and hep C.  I read once that saturated fat can be as bad to the liver with someone with HCV, as alcohol.  I don't remember where I read it, but I remember it being a trusted source.  Ever since then I tried to stay away from coconut oil because it IS very high in sat. fats.
I may just reconsider, especially since i will be adding 60 gr of fat  per day to my diet once I start Incivek. Ugh...
Yes that is what I thought too! And I have avioded saturated fats religiously ever since I read that they are terrible for the liver and people with liver disease. Whenever I came across articles expounding about the health benifits of coconut oil, I dismissed them because I beleived what I had read before. Now that I will have to consume all this fat, I am rethinking and rereading all the stuff out there about coconut oil and I think I may actually try this stuff! I just finished reading a long thread of comments from people who were using it for different lengths of time and for various reasons. Most of them had positive results and only a few reported negative effects. There were a lot of people using it sucessuflly for acid reflux, heartburn, and nausea. Sounds like just the thing to me! There were also several reports that it was treating thyroid disfunction sucessfully. I have had hypothyroidism since my second round of tx for the HCV so again this stuff seems like it might be of benifit. Especially since I need to take fat 3x daily anyway (that was the dose everyone was cooincidentally taking on this thread.) ! I am even wondering if it might help with the fire in the hole stuff! Yuck not looking forward to this ! Oh well better to slay the dragon!
If anyone else is interested in coconut oil here are some links, both pro and con:

http://www.coconutresearchcenter.org/article10612.htm

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12353632

http://www.ajcn.org/content/early/2011/06/22/ajcn.111.012948.abstract

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3137894
I just found Table Top individual Pies. 4 oz equals 20 grams of fat. inexpensive and can get them sugar free.
It occurs to me that some fats may increase stomach distress.  I take metformin and victoza and I haven't been a good girl about diet.  Without the hep c drugs I can tell that promiscuity with respect to "party fats" like ice cream and cake and candie and chocolate and pizza etc. can lead to explosive diarrhea and terrible stomach cramps.  I can imagine what it would do on the study drugs.  I think I will stick to the avocado, peanut butter, granola (I still can't believe it is 33 mg of fat;  what is in this granola?) etc. to get my fats.  Coconut oil?  Hmmm.  Maybe I would try that.  What about coconut milk?  
I think it has some amount of coconut oil in it . . . not sure how much. I was at a natural food festival a few years ago and I had a sample of some coconut butter. It was the best thing I have ever tasted! Unfortunately I don't remember what it was :( Yesterday I went to Fred Myers and pruchased some coconut oil thinking it would taste the same as what I remembered. Sadly it wasn't even close. It's not bad mind you . . . just tastes like a clean crisco with a slight coconut oil smell and flavor. Still it's not something I would spread on a piece of toast or even eat right out of the jar  . . like the stuff I sampled that day. Hmmmm wish I could remember what THAT was !
Coconut butter does sound good.  Just looked it up .  They have it at Amazon, but it's 17.00 for 16 ounces!  Does this look like what it was? http://www.amazon.com/Artisana-Organic-Coconut-Butter-16oz/dp/B000WV153I

I'm getting ready to re-treat , as well, and trying to plan on the fat issues. This is all very helpful.

Right now, I'm looking at an egg and cheese sandwich for breakfast and a drumstick (ice cream) at night.  Not sure about the afternoon - maybe cashews?  Course that would be the entire calorie intake for the day, unless I want to get even heavier.  Well, it's only for 12 weeks.
I tried that one too. It's better than the first one but not what I am looking for. These taste basically like crisco with a light coconut flavor. They are loaded with calories too. It takes 2 tbls to get the 20 grams necessary and I think that equals like 500 calories.
I gained 10 lbs my first week on incivek! I have high cholesterol so my dr. referred me to a nutritionist... She's having me eat mono-unsaturated fats only....
We have found diet seems to have major effect on side effects. Avacados, Organic Peanut Butter, Juicing as well. Spicy food are out right now as they seem to add to the digetive issues. High Fiber Organic bread. We try to stay away from most processed foods. Melons work very well. You need foods that help promote your red blood cells. Salads are very good as well. Chicken and Fish are great as long as they are fresh with no hormones or chemical additiives. We are working on week 4 so good luck.
On second week of treatment and having terrible stomach distress // diarrhea, gas pains the works.  Also back pain in kidney area -- anyone else experiencing this?
What about flax oil?
I, too, am diabetic and frankly have thrown that to the wind.  I test my blood sugar every day and so far it is still very much under control despite the fact that I eat 1/2 c of Haagan Daaz at 10:30 each night.  I make a half of a peanut butter and butter sandwich and place it next to my bed for the morning and eat that with a glass of 2% milk.  (I just can't handle whole milk.)  My afternoon fat is usually half an avocado and Greek yougurt with 2% milk fat.  Sometimes I supplement with a few tortilla chips.  Cheese is also good since it doesn't really impact the blood sugar.  I figure this is for 12 weeks and I can control the blood sugar with a little more or less insulin.

Although I looked, I didn't find a whole lot of info on our mandatory 60 grams of fat and diabetes.  Let me know if you find anything.

Good luck to your wife and bless you for being so caring and involved.
i'm going to be starting the triple threat in the next couple of weeks, and with all the reading about the fat content necessary with the medication, I'm very concerned that I'll gain a ton of weight... I make my own organic granola and bread, and love almond butter, but the weight gain potential is freaking me out!!!
Greek yogurt is high in fat. I think you have to eat two and I just found Pepperidge farm Sausaltio cookies. Who can't eat 21/2 cookies in the morning, but I've always been a sugar addict....I had them for last nights incivek at 10pm.Bad I know ......
ive been on triple treatment since aug 1st. im 51 and i eat anything that is loaded with fat.i shop 4 fat,and ive only gained 3lbs in 5 weeks of treatment.at 5 weeks i feel alot better,the first 10 days floored me pretty hard .it gets better,please keep that in mind.  ***@****
avacadoes are good.
I just started triple treatment today and glad I found this web site.  Great suggestions that I will definitely do but I can't do the avocado think.  Thanks to all of you!  
my husband starts today  he did it 5 years ago without incevek and was not successful  i hope this time it works with it   buttttt all the info i got from everyone on this site has been so honest and great info  i really appreciate it especially what fats to eat  thanks alot
There is a Greek Yogurt Medditerianice Yogurt called Liberte yogurt. It has 12 grams of fat so two of those will give you 24 grams. It's been a life saver for me at my 6 am dosing when I have no appetite. It goes down easy and hasn't made me sick, but make sure you get that brand all Greek yogurts do not have the same fat content. That's the only one I've been able to find that does. It's sold in lifetime health food stores in Manhattan. Google it in your state and you may find who sell it. Cream cheese on toast, especially with chives I find to be light and always easy to eat, Check all foods all brands have different fat contents. I so over peanut butter. I just keep a jar for emergencies. So so sick of it........
good luck
Almonds and pecans have a high fat content, and most of the calories are from fat.  Eating the plain ones doesn't appeal to me, so I make the German roast almonds per the recipe on allrecipes.com.  24 German roasted almonds is about 20 grams of fat.  The down side is the amount of fiber, if you catch my drift.  

5 tsp of coconut oil is also equivalent.  The coconut oil is easier to stomach if the idea of "eating" something isn't appealing.  I haven't tried this one yet, but I'm going to tomorrow.  

If you like Steak n Shake, you can get a regular fry and that will give you the fat you need as well.

I'm new to this, but I have found that stomaching the idea of eating because I have to is the hardest part.  It's a mental block, of sorts, I think.
It is important to have the 20grams of fat for proper absorption of the medication for it to work.   Someone put together an extensive list of foods on this site:

http://thehepcexperiment.com/treatment-diary/20-grams-of-fat/

20 grams of fat – measurements approximate

1 avocado = 31 gr fat
40 potato chips = 20 gr fat
1 medium French fries = 28 gr fat
2 oz bacon = 20 gr fat
1 plain bagel with cream cheese = 19 gr fat
1 cup raw shredded coconut = 27 gr fat
2 oz American or Cheddar cheese
½ cup chopped black walnuts = 35 gr fat
½ cup hazelnuts = 35 grams fat
¼ cup macadamia nuts = 26 gr fat
1 cup trail mix = 20 gr fat
100 gr seasoned croutons = 18 gr fat
3 tbsp bitter = 21 gr fat
2 tbsp nut butter (peanut/almond) = 20 gr fat
2 oz/100 gr sweet dark chocolate = 20 gr fat
1 slice apple pie = 20 gr fat
1 cinnamon roll = 20 gr fat
1 cup ice cream made from coconut milk = 20 gr fat
50 gr vinaigrette dressing = 25 gr fat
200 gr black olives = 20 gr fat
200 gr sardines = 20 gr fat
3 oz goose liver pate = 25 gr fat
3 oz tilapia = 20 gr fat

As I get closer to treating and still totally undecided about which drug to choose, I spoke to the PA at Duke and she also said that are learning that not EVERY dose has to be take with a total of 20g of Fat- definitely have to take with food.  I will learn more today, but this teaching hospital was very involved with Vertex during the clintrials phases and the Head of hepatolgy still works closely with the manufacturer. If I learn more after my visit today, I will post~

Hope you all have a great day!
Trying to consume fat when thinking "fat" is tuff. Believe it or not, if you go to the local health food store you can by hemp seeds that have the husks removed. 3 tablespoons equal 13 grams of fat and it's relatively good fats. They taste nutty and you can sprinkle them on salads and granola, that and whole milk does it. Ice cream at nite. I just spent 6 months loosing 40 lbs now they got me eating fat. Go figure

I've just started my tx on Wed.  I've been in bed since.  Cna't seem to find something that I want with 20 grams.....but your suggestions I find helpful...sending my husband to store this weekend.  Thx a bunch!!
I think that PeachStatePam's (  Sep 20, 2011 ) list is helpful.  I am in my second week of Peg/Ribo/Incivek.  So far, the anemia and no appetite has not really started fully for me yet (except the day after I take my Peg shot).  I have been starting the morning with a cup of granola with 1/2 and 1/2.  I keep a couple of plastic bags with one cup of nuts (roasted, no salt/sugar) for emergencies during the day.  So far, I have been able to work, and find the usually overly fat-content fare at my office cafeteria has some choices.  But, each day I have less and less appetite, so things may start getting harder.  I had completed two 46 week coursed of Peg/Ribo treatment for my Genus 1 HCV.  Each time, after 3 weeks, the virus was too small to be measured in my body (while I was on tx).  Within a month of ending treatment, the virus came back at larger parts per million numbers.  I even tried "mantenance" for a year (a half dose weekly of PegInterferon).  The virus was clear while I was on it (presumably halting addition damage due to cirrhosis).  But insurance finally stopped paying for it.  I hope the third time (with Incivik) is the charm.  During every other treatment experience, I always lost 15-25 pounds in 9 months.  Don't know if I will loose much weight drinking half and half and ice cream every day.  Good luck to you all
I prefer to get my fats from nuts & meat rather than sugar laden products....besides the metallic taste in my mouth makes sugar stuff kind of yucky! In a fix, a tbsp & a half of flax seed oil will get you to 20MG, a couple glasses of whole milk, natural peanut buttter if you can stomach itor a 2 oz of almonds, a couple oz of cheese,stouffers has some creamy pasta dishes that have about 25 g of fat ....on to the unhealthy stuff, chips with ranch dressing or ice cream!  My understanding of the need for fat in thei diet is that the fat carries the protese inhibitors to the body. I have not gained any weight as I only force myself to eat my "fat" to get my pills down.
You are a pretty wise person, Flaxseed oil (1oz.= 27.25 g fat) not only gives you the fat you requieres, but the Omegas 3 and 6, flavor it's not pretty good but taste better with yogurt or in shakes.
Mexican chicken tamales are wonderful 14g fat, olive oil, almond oil, canola oil, 1 Tbs= 14g fat.
Just a quick comment EAT YOUR FAT!!!!
I found out how important it is .
Stopped or slowed way down my fat intake after 12 weeks of Incevik. I had no problems with Flaming Butt throughout treatment, but 9 days after stopping Incevik got  Flaming Butt and rash? I called Incevik and was told to start eating more fat again so my body could process the Med out of my system, It is Fat Soluble  and not able to processes it. 2 days of high fat and problem is gone EAT YOUR FAT !!!
Thank you for your post. I am at the end of my first week (awful). Your words lifted me.

leo72558

leo58
cheese cheese and more cheese I feel like a big mouse! Literally! I gained over 8 pounds while on INC, not good - Sunny
Last time I treated eight years ago I lost lots of weight so I guess a little more fat would have been a good thing.  I love avocados and  could easily eat three or more of them each day.
avocado is a wonderful source of fat food for Incevik, one avocado has enough grams of fat for the single dose - I didn't want to gain weight but you do what you gotta do LOL Once I am off INC I will go back on my normal diet of fruits, sprouts and nuts LOL - Sunny
This is my second day.  My doc prescribed my Incevik twice a day.  Three tabs twice a day, along with my Ribavirin.  Pegysis once a week. This works good for me.  I eat my breakfast at 8:00 ( with adequate fat) and then eat dinner at 8:00 pm ( with fat) and then pills at 8:30.  I also am planning to keep to mostly poly and monounsaturated fats, vs saturated fats.  I used the USDA website for a reference.  http://www.ars.usda.gov/Services/docs.htm?docid=20958   I was told it is important to get adequate fat, that it increases the absorption of Incevik .  
I guess it just depends on your Dr. This is day nine for me. I take my meds (incivek) 2 pills 3x day riba 2x and peg 1x wk. I was questioning since I was never told which fat are we counting total fat, calories from fat, unsat fat, poly fat.???
My doc said it didn't matter the type of fat.  Since I have a hx of high cholesterol I just try to keep sat fats to a minimum.  The dosage for Inc and RIBA from 3 times a day to twice a day is something that is currently being tested.  My doc is very involved in clinical trials and they have found adherence has improved with twice a day.  I do not believe this is a choice most docs have changed to, or even know about.  I just find it works well so far.  It is only day 3.  Good luck to you.
Thanks to all. Please keep sending the lists of foods. I have been on the Peg alone 6 times, Peg + Riba for a year ( daily shots at 5 mil per dose) and always came back. Now on the Peg- Riba- Incivek for at least 24 weeks. On week 5 now and already can't stand the taste of cheese, ice cream or peanut butter. Can't do the avocado's but will look forward to trying the others on the lists sent
Is any one of you guys, taking the treatment having low PLATTELET account? please give me some input, I'll really appreciate.
Great thread all!
I am on day 16 woohoo INCIVEK.  so far minimal sides.  I too have gained some small weight.  Small price to pay on the front side. Once we stop the fats we WILL lose weight only with SOC. Pretty much  guaRanteed.
HALBEV. You are correct!!  We MUST eat and chew ( not suck liquids) if possible, all our fats.
The chemicals in Incivek MUST have real fatty foods with it in order to receive ALL the meds at the cellular and molecular level, throughourbloodstream, which is how this drugworks. The interferon and riba get to our bone marrow, simar to lukemia patients. We are onchemo, ya know. :)
I have had hemmorhoids for a spell so far not terri lebut theyhave shown up. I was eating 28 almonds  = 20 gfat.  I stopped that as I believe it did not help my anal situation   At all. I have switched to almond butter which has16 g fat 2 tbsp.  2 tbsp ofbutter creamcheese almond or peanut butters generally have 10or more g of fat. Ibakemy ownmuffins andbiscuits 8g fat. Jimmy deanprecooked sausage patties and a scrambled egg homemade yum the biscuits refrig for 5 days and nuke 15-20 sec max. Yum. Also 2 1/2 tbsp almond butter inmicrowaveable glass or ceramic dish. Add hershey syrup till consistancy you like. Nuke 15 sec at a time stir until a fudge like consistance. Do not overnuke. Top a vanilla vanilla wafer icecream sand brokeni nto pcs and a squirt of whipped cream. Yummyyyyyyyyyy.  
Bread and ALOT of butter or baked pot w sour cream and butter.  Veggies dipped w ranch w a dpoonof reg mayoblended in    Get creative. Have fun if you can. And eat while you can.  Love and healing yhoughts jan

Good fats
3oz salmon: 10gm fat
Peanut Butter 2Tbsp: 16gm fat
Dip bread in 1 Tbsp of olive oil with Italian herbs: 14gm fat
4 Tbsp Italian salad dressing: 14gm fat
1/2C guacamole: 14gm fat
1oz of Almonds/Peanuts/Mixed Nuts:  15gm
1 Cup Sunflower seeds: 23gm fat

Every now and then
1Cup tuna in oil= 14gm fat
Ice Cream: 7gm fat per ½ cup
2Tbsp Cream Cheese on a bagel :  10 gm fat
1C Whole Milk: 8gm fat
1 egg= 5gm fat
1/4Cup or 1oz Sharp Cheddar Cheese: 10gm fat
1Cup Tuna Salad: 19gm
Slice of Pizza: 10gm fat

Just some Ideas from a friendly RD
Most people consume much more than 60gm of fat per day, to most it should not be an issue.  All americans need to lower there sodium and saturated/trans fat intake.  Cardiovascular diseases (Hypertension, Stroke, Heart failure) are the number 1 killers of men and women.  

Goal is to have 2 meals with minimum 20gm fat during time of medication, and a 20gm fat snack with 3rd dosage.  

If you are gaining alot of weight, it is not a good thing.  Exercise/activity is likely needed, and having smaller portions aside from the needed fat.  Try to find low sodium (<300mg) choices, and low saturated/trans fats
Total calories from fat in a day ~25-30%  <10% from saturated fats
Nutiva Coconut Oil, the best one on the market, as far as I'm concerned.  You can buy it at Vitacost or The Vitamin Shop for the best price: 29 oz for $17.  Once you get used to the taste, you'll crave it!  I use it on bread, crackers, popcorn, cooking.  I can't handle butter.......ick.  Hopefully you won't get sick of the taste by the end of TX.

This is something that is concerning me as I am considering the triple TX and have an appt with the gastro. next week.  I was looking forward to losing the 10 pounds I've put on in the 5 years since my last TX!!
The following quote is from the Incevik prescribing information sheet at the Vertex website.

"Effects of Food on Oral Absorption
The systemic exposure (AUC) to telaprevir was increased by 237% when telaprevir was administered with a standard fat meal (containing 533 kcal and 21 g fat) compared to when telaprevir was administered under fasting conditions. In addition, the type of meal significantly affects exposure to telaprevir. Relative to fasting, when telaprevir was administered with a low-fat meal (249 kcal, 3.6 g fat) and a high-fat meal (928 kcal, 56 g fat), the systemic exposure (AUC) to telaprevir was increased by approximately 117% and 330%, respectively. Doses of INCIVEK were administered within 30 minutes of completing a meal or snack containing approximately 20 grams of fat in the Phase 3 trials. Therefore, INCIVEK should always be taken with food (not low fat)."

Sherry
I should add that I am very leery of sugars, processed foods, and cheese... I am not a vegetarian, but keep my meat consumption to just a little, daily.  I prefer dark meat over white, like pork butt and shoulder over loin.... if I'm going to eat it I want it to taste good!
I'm not on incivek but in the beginning was confused about victrelis fat etc. So freaked out and did alot of homework on the fat issue. I found Irish oatmeal ( I like raisins ) with butter, flaxseed oil, and 1/2 & 1/2 was palatable for breakfast. I was also was making nut butter and banana sandwiches and cutting them in 1/4's and putting them in a sandwich bag by my bed and a chocolate milk box for the 1st morning dose ... So I could just eat and go back to sleep.
I still do a version of this with the 21 pills a day I take I find the food/fat helps with not making me sick. I think that small meals with Meds are better than any large meal. I don't really eat unless it is to get my medicine down. BUT I do drink 3-4 liters of water and try to stay away from sugar and spicy food.
Digiorno crispy flatbread pizza
serving size 1/3 pizza
total fat 20 g

Low mine platelet is and was 61 very low but made it through Incevik 12 week treatment and 5 weeks into Int/Rib, and feeling much better, rash and all sides leaving me, Takes awhile to clear your system, just be strong it's a tough road but worth it.
Great answer about the fat thing---good to know for future reference!  12 weeks of rash and other SX isn't too bad.  I MAY be able to handle it when/if I start TX.
Thank you halveb, my platelet account it's 88, with your advise I'm feeling more confident that I can do it, I won't have to much problem with FATS intake, that's because I'm an oil drinker, I prefer flax seed and olive oil, 1.5 Tbs. gives you more than 20 gs.of fat, plus omegas 3 and 6.
Thanks a lot to all people are giving this support, GOD BLESS YOU ALL.
Hepatitis Central
October 6, 2011

Hepatitis C Report: Four Food Groups to Lift Depression

Applicable to many with chronic Hepatitis C, eating foods rich in these four elements has been shown to help depression sufferers lift their spirits.

by Nicole Cutler, L.Ac.

More than most other populations, people with chronic Hepatitis C are particularly prone to depression. Getting relief from clinical depression typically requires a physician's guidance; but eating the right foods is a relatively simple way to help those affected get started on feeling better. Food can be either beneficial or detrimental to one's health. As such, diet can be a powerful tool for lifting depression. Even more specifically, the four food groups described below are known to help boost emotional well-being.

About Depression and Hepatitis C
As if battling the Hepatitis C virus were not enough of a burden, a substantial percentage of chronic Hepatitis C patients also struggle with a major depressive disorder at some point during their illness. Moments of feeling down are normal, especially when dealing with a potentially life-altering disease. However, when feeling down turns into clinical depression - it should not be ignored.

According to the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual for Mental Disorders (DSM-IV), a major depressive disorder:

1. persists for at least two consecutive weeks.

2. is characterized by depressed mood or anhedonia (inability to experience pleasure from normally pleasurable life events, such as eating, exercise, social or sexual interaction).

3. is accompanied by at least four of the following:

• Overwhelming sadness or emptiness
• Lack of interest or pleasure in daily activities
• Appetite or weight changes
• Disturbed sleep patterns
• Changes in psychomotor activity
• Fatigue or loss of energy
• Feelings of guilt or worthlessness
• Difficulty focusing, concentrating or making decisions
• Recurrent thoughts of death or suicidal ideation

According to the DSM-IV criteria, reported prevalence rates for major depressive disorder are higher in those with Hepatitis C than the general population:

• An estimated 24 to 70 percent of people with chronic Hepatitis C are clinically depressed.
• An estimated 6 to 10 percent of the general population is clinically depressed.
Food Can Help

While there's no specific diet capable of curing a major depressive disorder, certain foods can improve one's mood. It is important to note that any diet is not a substitute for proper medical care. However, these four food groups may assist a program to treat clinical depression:

1. The Right Carbohydrates - Whole grains such as brown rice, oats, kamut, spelt and quinoa rank high on the list of the right carbohydrates. There are two main reasons that the right carbohydrates are linked to good moods. The first is that carbohydrates boost serotonin - a chemical in the brain known to lift mood. The other major reason is that whole grains provide a steady supply of fuel, which helps avoid the blood sugar crash-and-burn that can lead to crabbiness and mood swings. As a plus to those with Hepatitis C, preventing high blood sugar levels helps protect the liver from fat accumulation in its cells.

2. Omega-3 Fatty Acid Foods - Participants in a 2002 study featured in the Archives of General Psychiatry took just a gram of omega-3 fish oil each day and noticed a 50 percent decrease in symptoms such as anxiety, sleep disorders, unexplained feelings of sadness, suicidal thoughts and decreased sex drive. Other studies show that people who infrequently eat fish, which is a rich source of omega-3 fatty acids, are more likely to suffer from depression. Some of the best sources for omega-3s are walnuts, flaxseed and oily fish like salmon, mackerel and sardines. In addition, omega-3s help ease the inflammatory process that can worsen Hepatitis C.

3. Vitamin Bs (6, 9 and 12) - In a Spanish study of nearly 9,000 people, the rates of depression tended to increase in men as folic acid (Vitamin B9) intake decreased. The same increase occurred for women but with a decreased intake of Vitamin B12. Folic acid is found in yeast, liver, green leafy vegetables, asparagus, strawberries and whole grain cereals. Vitamin B12 can be found in liver, meat, egg yolk, poultry and milk. In addition, Vitamin B6 may help depression since it is needed to produce the mood-enhancing neurotransmitters serotonin and dopamine. Foods that are rich in Vitamin B6 include liver, meat, brown rice, fish, butter, wheat germ, whole grain cereals, bell peppers, spinach, bananas and soybeans. In addition, a diet rich in the B vitamins helps those with liver disease by improving energy levels and preventing anemia during antiviral treatment.

4. Vitamin D - Various types of studies have demonstrated that low Vitamin D levels correlate with depression. Especially important for those who have limited exposure to sunlight, concentrated food sources of Vitamin D include salmon, sardines, shrimp, shitake mushrooms, milk, cod and eggs. Among salmon, wild-caught fish have been shown to average significantly more Vitamin D than non-organically farmed fish. Although requiring more evidence, some research has indicated a Vitamin D deficiency in those with chronic Hepatitis C, prompting investigation into adding Vitamin D to Hepatitis C antiviral therapy.

There is enough evidence to suggest that depression may stem from poor nutrition. However, individuals living with chronic Hepatitis C are vulnerable to a depressive disorder for several other reasons, such as medication side effects or psychological and biological impacts of the virus. From a multidimensional healing perspective, eating the right foods is one component of a solid depression treatment plan. Luckily, altering your diet to focus on the right carbohydrates, omega-3 fatty acids, as well as foods rich in the B vitamins and Vitamin D cannot only help lift your mood - but they also constitute a diet typically recommended for anyone with chronic Hepatitis C.
5 weeks into triple,sick of 20 grams  of  fat...feel full all the time forcinig food down at crazy times...help
I have 20 more days left of the telaprevir im sick of eating,my stomach feels full,bloated,swollen, or inflamed 24-7 and still have to eat all that fat 3x a day...has anyone gone through this and ended tel. And now only on interferon and rib.  ... do u loose the weight, the horrible stomach issues and bathroom burns?
i'm glad i found you!! on my forth week of the triple therapy and holy cow....i hate food!!!! force feeding myself fatty foods is one of the hardest things i've ever done!! find food completely disgusting...but i'm doing it!!! ugh!!! trying to take it a day at a time and praying for the second week of february so i can be off this.....think the ribo and shot, i'll be able to handle much better alone!! know that my goal is to heal my body but....HOLY COW!!!!!
I could not find a reason as to why 20 grams of fat.Because of un-coated pills you should eat food so it doesn't harm your stomach.20 grams of bull***,come on,give me a break.I am taking the Incivek and I eat it with food with fat but I am not going to add all this fat it says to eat.I have ice cream floats.pudding,doughnuts,hot dogs,cream cheese with pineapple,etc.Thats it for fat for me.I will continue to eat regular food and I'm sure at the end of the day it may add up to 20 grams of fat.But to eat just heavy fatty foods would be painful to me trying to digest that,especially before bed.I wouldn't be able to sleep from the digestive pain.
I could not find a reason as to why 20 grams of fat.Because of un-coated pills you should eat food so it doesn't harm your stomach.20 grams of bull***,come on,give me a break.I am taking the Incivek and I eat it with food with fat but I am not going to add all this fat it says to eat.I have ice cream floats.pudding,doughnuts,hot dogs,cream cheese with pineapple,etc.Thats it for fat for me.I will continue to eat regular food and I'm sure at the end of the day it may add up to 60 grams of fat.But to eat just heavy fatty foods would be painful to me trying to digest that,especially before bed.I wouldn't be able to sleep from the digestive pain.
Effects of Food on Oral Absorption
The systemic exposure (AUC) to telaprevir was increased by 237% when telaprevir was administered with a standard fat meal (containing 533 kcal and 21 g
fat) compared to when telaprevir was administered under fasting conditions. In addition, the type of meal significantly affects exposure to telaprevir.
Relative to fasting, when telaprevir was administered with a low-fat meal (249 kcal, 3.6 g fat) and a high-fat meal (928 kcal, 56 g fat), the systemic exposure
(AUC) to telaprevir was increased by approximately 117% and 330%, respectively. Doses of INCIVEK were administered within 30 minutes of completing
a meal or snack containing approximately 20 grams of fat in the Phase 3 trials. Therefore, INCIVEK should always be taken with food (not low fat).

http://pi.vrtx.com/files/uspi_telaprevir.pdf
Micheall,

A regular size 2 oz hot dog = 15 grams of fat
1 cup of zice cream = 38 grams of fat
2 oz glazed doughnut = 12 grams of fat
1 oz cream cheese = 10 grams of fat

I'm gussing your more then ok with what you are eating, ha....
" Iwill continue to eat regular food and I'm sure at the end of the day it may add up to 60 grams of fat"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is not  60 grams of fat in "a day" that is important, it is the 20 grams of fat  within 30 min of  each dose to optimize absorption,as hrsep has put up per the "Incivek dosing" label.
Will
"I could not find a reason as to why 20 grams of fat.Because of un-coated pills you should eat food so it doesn't harm your stomach.20 grams of bull***,"

Wow, somebody that knows more then all the doctors and researchers in these trials...........Way cool
Hey cando ..where ya been..?
Hi will, guess i've been missing out. In just 5 minutes i have learned all kinds of new stuff, from eating 20 grams is bull to condoms, eyes and mouth pieces.

Hope all is well
Yeah...It"s all the new scientific stuff thats just been approved..

Hope as is good in your corner......
Michaell, I am surprised you could not find a reason.  I did not save the references but very early trails with incivek were not effective.  They almost tossed incivek from what I remember until they figured out that fat allowed proper absorption.  Without the fat you have what looked to me to the same odds as SOC.  Why spend the $50,000 for incivek?  Seems like a pretty big waste of effort and money.
Just started treatment and for now am loving the 20 g of fat! Sounds like that will probably change down the road but at this point the Brie cheese avocados and dark chocolate are awesome. Dr told me to just think of the fat as part of the drug. Not too worried about gaining weight because last time I lost a ton of weight on interferon/riba.
my wife is in her second week of taking Incivek and we are working on her diet.  Her main concern just now is about weight loss.  This was mentioned at a class  that we attended and it is a concern of hers.  No one has mentioned anything about weight loss here and She is wondering why.  All the conversation seems to be about weight gain.  Has anyone experienced any type of weight loss?
@ halbev...my wife is on a 24 wk treatment of incivek and she is wondering if you went the full term for you treatment or did you stop your treatment at 12 wks.  She also wants to know it your hep C was gone after the treatment.
A couple people on the forum have mentioned nausea and vomiting and weight loss but most comments about weight have been about the weight gain while taking Incivek.

I am in my 17th week of triple med treatment with Incivek (for 12 weeks), Riba, and Inf. I will be on Riba and Inf. for a total of 48 weeks.

I gained weight (about 20 pounds) while I was taking Incivek because I was eating 20 grams  (at least) of fat 4 times a day. I was not eating a lot of food, but that 20 gams of fat 4 times a day put the weight on. Now that I have been off Incivek for 4 1/2 weeks, I am losing some of that weight. So far I think I have lost about 10 pounds of the 20 pounds I gained (which is good as I am overweight).I still eat some fat with my Riba, but my fat intake is down quite a bit from when I was taking the Incivek.

The meds can make a person nauseated (sometimes vomiting) and also the appetite is really decreased. I always had an underlying nausea. The nausea can creep up on a person gradually. I think your wife should keep tabs on how she feels and if she gets nauseated then ask the doc for an anti-nausea med. (I am on Zofran.) I think people sometimes lose weight on Riba and Inf. due to the poor appetite and nausea.

I hope your wife does well on the meds. Keep us informed of her progress.

Most gain wt on incivek due to the 20 gm's of fat needed with each dose of incivek which is very important.

Effects of Food on Oral Absorption
The systemic exposure (AUC) to telaprevir was increased by 237% when telaprevir was administered with a standard fat meal (containing 533 kcal and 21 g fat) compared to when telaprevir was administered under fasting conditions. In addition, the type of meal significantly affects exposure to telaprevir.
Relative to fasting, when telaprevir was administered with a low-fat meal (249 kcal, 3.6 g fat) and a high-fat meal (928 kcal, 56 g fat), the systemic exposure (AUC) to telaprevir was increased by approximately 117% and 330%, respectively. Doses of INCIVEK were administered within 30 minutes of completing a meal or snack containing approximately 20 grams of fat in the Phase 3 trials. Therefore, INCIVEK should always be taken with food (not low fat).

I  just want to say i just got my incivek this am. I did 3 mths last year on the ribo and inter. I am so overwhelmed that i held off starting today, I am very glad i found this websight and everyones recommendations and experiances..I was really freaking myself out little...No, lets be honest here Alot, Thanks guys....
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on starting treatment.

I think we were all freaked out when we started not knowing what to expect so you are in good company.

Be sure you eat 20 grams of fat with each Incivek dose.

Get on top of side effects immediately if you get any. Hopefully you will be one of the lucky ones with few side effects.

Post any questions for side effect solutions/remedies. We have a lot of experience in the side effect department and I think we have figured out some good solutions/remedies.

The three months on Inc. goes by pretty fast. Once you are off Inc.,it gets a lot better, at least for most of us.

Best of luck with your treatment.
Yes, I lost around 10 or more lb. first 4 weeks I stayed the same. Then I lost 5 lb within short period of time and then couple of weeks later another 5. Since then my weight didn't change. I am done with incivek as of 3pm today.
When I did Pegasus/ co Pegasus several years ago, I gained 10 lb. we'll see where my weight goes in the next 3 month.

It' s funny, that some one mentioned that the love all that fat - ice cream, dark chocolate... The funny part is that my wife still eats all my ice creem "supplies" that I purchased before starting incivek. And it wasn't a lot. My ice creem love diminished in the first week.:)
Good luck to him!! I also, did not respond to the tx 5 years ago. I started this new treatment 12/7/11, and at my 4 week mark my viral load was """407""""!!!

Get his Dr. to prescribe Phenagren for the nausea. I don't take it but once a day,if at all. It helps get that food down when you would struggle because of nausea without it. When I struggle with what to eat at med time cause my taste buds are whacked out, I normally do ice cream. Oh, and drink lots of Ginger Ale! Listen to your body and get lots of rest. I have slept through a lot of my side effects.

Well, gotta run. My friend the timer just went off for my 4pm dose!!!

Good luck to you all!!!!!!!!!

Joyce

Here are a few healthy choices for achieving the fat goal...

Walnuts - 1 oz = 15 to 20 g fat

Almond butter - 1 tbsp = 10 g fat   (see note below about peanuts)*

sunflower-seed butter - 1 tbsp = 10 g fat

Macadamia Nuts - 1 oz = 20 g fat

Sesame Butter (tahini) - 1 tbsp = 10 g fat

Coconut meat - 1 oz. = 20 g fat

Avocado - 1 fruit = 30 g fat

*(NOTE: peanut butter...  there is some conflicting information regarding their benefit to the liver. This is primarily because of peanuts’ potential for being contaminated with aflatoxins)

Wish you all the best in your healing journey!  
I start treatment today!!! A bit apprehensive but hopeful and ready.
I, m diabetic too. I drink 1/4 cup heavy cream with some sugar free choc syrup for my am fat, goes down easy and is a small amount at 4:30am. Lunch is 1/4 c mixed nuts or 1/2c cashews, or 1 avacado stuffed w/shrimp cheese and italian dressing.Evening is usually 1 1/2 Tbl olive oil, goes down easy.
My warrior wife is now in the midst of Her fourth week of this hep C treatment and I am so glad to say that after the initial side effects(itching,burning, rashes, dizziness)She has  settled into a reasonably side effect free situation.  I inquire each morning about her condition and She is well.  I only pray that the duration of this treatment is as uneventful.  
I am truly grateful to the community for the diet suggestions because we have been able to amass a group of foods that has allowed her to not become bored with foods that she normally loves.
I would strongly recommend to anyone that is just starting any type of Hep C treatment to pay close attention to the postings here in the community.  I can almost guarantee your road to wellness  will be bumpless.(did I say 'bumpless?')  
Anyway, THANX again, you guys.
The fat is not a matter of choice, but a requirement for good absorption of your medication.  

Reva
Have you read the Incivik literture.
The fat increases the absorption of the medication.

20 grams with each meal!!!

Reva
Hello to all, what a plethera of information I have gathered here. My husband will be starting the Incivik RX in the next few days. He has been on RX 5 times in the past and this is his first go round with the triple drug therapy. We were told yesterday that Zofran is not the recommended drug of choice of nausea and that they would be switching him to Phenegran. Because he has no appetite and vomits quite frequently and isn't even on the RX yet I am very concerned. I have read thru a lot of the posts and appreciate all the hints as to what foods to try and get him to eat. Good luck to all of you and I will be checking back frequently.......Gail
I should be starting in  a couple of weeks, I am already over my desired weight, I just don't want to gain weight.  Thank you so much for the list of foods.
I'm excited about starting & getting it over with.  I have the right gene IL28b that should cut the treatment in 1/2 for me!
How is everyone doing?  I'm getting ready to start treatment.  
Give me advice ;)
Give me advice ;)
Can anyone tell me what 1a means?
Go to the top of this page and use the orange post a question and it will start a new thread, you will get more responses that way. 1a is your genotype.
I am in week 5 of incivek 3 times a day, and riba 2 times a day, and pegysus once a week.  I have a hard time with the incivek and riba but have a few tips:  

half cup of cottage cheese with 4 tsps of Safflower Oil mixed in well, then top with one of those half cups of fruit salad for kids lunches - quick, not too heavy, and works well for me.  

I found it's important to take care of your bum as soon as you get runs, or burning.  Imodium and Prep H.  The more fat, the easier the stomach seems to handle the incivek.

I take incivek and riba night dose with an anti-nausea pill - works well.
olives w/ garlic = 1 gram of fat

1/4 cup of walnuts = 20 grams  
Hello to all: So glad to find this site! I completed the Peg-Riba treatment 4yrs ago.Did reach 0 svr but after 6 months it was back.I hv followed the Incevik trials.And made sure my doctor did as well.Should be starting my Triple Treatment next week.This is a Great Forum ,keep it updated I think it will help alot of people who don t know where to turn for help and encouragement to work through HEP-C treatment.THANK YOU ONE AND ALL FOR BEING THERE...
Help
Thanks for the info. On fattys food. I'm starting the incivek,  RIBA & pega. Next week
haha, I eat a klondike bar almost every night.  It's so easy to get down.
Starting treatment on May 7. I am pretty worried about weight gain, depression and ability to continue working as my job involves physical work. Would appreicate anything that will help me get through this. Thanks so much.

Prepy
Tried the healthy route, got old real quick. I still try to be somewhat healthy but its just easier to grab whatever. Plus my tastes have changed. Also, I find something I can get down, and soon I just can't tolerate it anymore. Can't even stomache the thougth of peanut butter anymore. I figure it is only 12 weeks, I'm going to get down whatever I can to get that 20 grams in. I have become very creative. Still get avacodo in, Cooked Spinach with some butter or olive oil, garlic bread with real butter and Italian cheese blend. mini cream puffs; small light and airy, and only 6 of them to get 22 grams. alot of things that only equal partial fat, I will follow up with Udo's chocolate truffles (so good for you and 1 little square has 7.7 grams of fat). mini BLT with lots of mayo. Just a few ideas.
Welcome to the forum.

This is an older thread although people do post in it at times. You may get a better response if you start your own thread by going towards the top of the page, and clicking on the orange bar, and posting a question.

We were all very scared and anxious before and when we started. We all expected the worst, I think.

Everyone is different and the body responds differently in different people. Some have few side effects, others have more. Some have mild side effects, others have more serious side effects. You will not know how you willl respond until you are on the meds. The other thing is the side effects, most of them, come and go and change around. You may have one side effect for a week or two and then it disappears. On the other hand, a few tend to hang around.

You did not state which drugs you will be on, Incivek or Victrelis. Some side effects are peculiar to one or the other.

That said, most people do experience some flu like symptoms from the interferon, some fatigue, some malaise, and a few other things. You may want to start your treatment regimen on a Friday eve so you have the weekend to recuperate (that is, if you have weekends off).
I find taking a couple of tylenol near the time I take the injection does help the achiness feeling.

If you are going to be on Incivek you probably will gain weight (due to the fat intake). I did. But I lost it all after going off Incivek. In fact, now I am losing weight (still on Inf. and Riba.).

If you have a history of depression then you should talk with your doc about that. The doc may want to start you on antidepressants prophylactically. They take about 3 weeks to kick in and about 6 weeks to reach full effect. Many of us are on ADs. Otherwise, if you have no history of depression, and if you start feeling depressed during treatment, let the doc know right away so you can get started on meds.

Work is another story. You do not say what type of work you do other than it is physical. The type of work does matter or may matter. Also the number of hours may matter. Many people do continue working while on treatment. Others work part time, work shorter hours, do a desk job, take sick days as needed, etc.

If you are doing presision work or dangerous work (electrical) or climbing ladders or balancing on roofs or beams, or lifting heavy objects, work may be a problem. While not everyone gets these side effects, the following side effects, if you get them, may interfere with work: brain fog or inability to think clearly (and doing things incorrectly that you normally can do correctly, like putting a postage stamp on the wrong side of the envelop or driving past your exit several time and having to turn around and go back several times or wondering why your TV remote won't open the garage door), problems concentrating, memory problems, balance problems, weakness, dizziness, extreme fatigue, anemia (thus extreme fatigue and shortness of breath), nausea and vomiting, diarrhea, etc. You can see why if you are on a pole repairing electricity, you may have a problem. Besides the weakness and dizziness, you may connect the wire to the wrong place and electrocute yourself. Or you could fall off of high places.

If Plan A is to work, then I would have a Plan B and a Plan C waiting in the wings in case you need them. Plan B and Plan C could be sick time, vacation time, holiday time, comp. time,  short term disability leave, longer term disability leave, family medical leave, flex time, part time, shorter hours, temporary desk job, etc. You should talk with your boss and see what is available if you need it. I think eveyone is entitled to family medical leave if they need it.

You may be fine and have only mild side efects, but you cannot count on that. You need to be prepared for any scenario.

If you are on Incivek, you must take at least 20 grams of fat every 8 hours and you must take the Incivek within 30 minutes after eating that fat (every 8 hours). The fat and the med timing are crucial to treatment success.

To do this I would recommend getting a watch with an alarm that is capable of being programmed to go off when your meds are due. At home, use the watch, use alarm clocks, use portable times that you can carry with you. Anything to make sure you remember to take your meds. Most of us would never remember to take our meds without those alarm reminders.

Also, get a pill organizer if you need one (depends on how your pills come). Mine came in blister packs and I just wrote the days and the times on the blisterm packs. Do not rely on your memory to remember if you took a dose or not. You have to have a system because more than likely, you will not remember if you took it 10 minutes ago let alone a few hours ago. So you really have to figure out a system that works for you so you take all of the pills on time and so you do not miss doses or take too many doses.

If you are on Incivek, here is a thread that gives you many food with high fat content:

Scroll down to 80mecheng's very long post with many, many foods to choose from.

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Hepatitis-C/Are-these-fats-okay/show/1694773

A few thing you may want to have on hand when you start:
Benadryl caps.
Loperimide tabs
Hydrocortizone cream
Huggies baby wipes (if on Incivek)(to keep the butt very clean)
Preparation H supp. and cream (if on Incivek)
Ice pack
Tylenol
(I know there are more but I am blanking on them.)

If I think of anything else I will post it.

You may be fine but you have to be prepared that you may get problematic side effects.

Also, the three things that really need to be controlled as soon as possible are nausea and/or vomiting, rash/itching, and diarrhea. You can get prescriptions for the first two if you need them. For the stools, just keep them firm, quite firm. I found if they get loose or even soft, the anal problems really kicked in.

Also, be sure your blood counts are monitored at least every two weeks, preferably every week. The hemoglobin can drop fast.

Get hard copies of  all labs that you have done and keep your own file.

Hope you have few side effects but post any that you get and we will offer suggestions and remedies.

Best of luck.

I started the hep - c treatment yesterday . And so far just feeling a little tired but not unbearable . I did sweat throught the night though . I took a nice shower after my a.m. pills and 20 grams of fat ( bagel and cream cheese) . I am drinking plenty of water . I believe so far that I will be on this treat ment for 6months and the incivek for 3 months. I was diagnosed in 1994 . I am a true baby boomer at age 60 . I believe I always had it in my blood since the late 60's . But as stress brought it to the surface when I did not feel good at all in '94 . My genotype is 1a so the Dr. who did a liver biopsy in 2003 said that I had 0-1 inflammation and that they would just watch me every 6 months . So they did and I myself went back to a new Dr. to question the new treatment for my genotype and we put the wheels in motion and here I am . I pray it works for me .
I started the hep - c treatment yesterday . And so far just feeling a little tired but not unbearable . I did sweat throught the night though . I took a nice shower after my a.m. pills and 20 grams of fat ( bagel and cream cheese) . I am drinking plenty of water . I believe so far that I will be on this treat ment for 6months and the incivek for 3 months. I was diagnosed in 1994 . I am a true baby boomer at age 60 . I believe I always had it in my blood since the late 60's . But as stress brought it to the surface when I did not feel good at all in '94 . My genotype is 1a so the Dr. who did a liver biopsy in 2003 said that I had 0-1 inflammation and that they would just watch me every 6 months . So they did and I myself went back to a new to question the new treatment for my genotype and we put the wheels in motion and here I am . I pray it works for me .
I am a realtor and could barely function first 3 months anemia had a blood transfusion. I am on it for 12 months 4 more to go I am still working I am a walker and had lots of energy have my days but overall not too bad
I started treatment almost 3 weeks ago.  Your information was most helpful in preparing for the treatment....purchasing the items you recommended.  Thank you.  
i'm getting ready to start the incivek on 7/13/12,( yeah i know friday the 13th).  i'm scared to death!  anyone with any helpfull hints would be appreciated.
thanks, pam
Hello,great to see so many posts on this treatment im starting on the 11th sept so not long now.Going back to barts hospital london on that date to have base line blood samples and some scans mri etc.Starting the triple then as far as i know ive also been told to have 20gms of fat in my meals 12wks and then 36wks more.Im hoping that im going to be able get through the full treatment only because on my first lot treatment which was just rib/interferon they halted tx because of low platelets/white cell count.Just good to read all the info on this illness so im off now wish all the best to all of you.Col.
I started triple treatment last nite, so far no side effects what so ever so far, nothing, nada. That may not be a good thing, any comments.