Hepatitis C Community
does hep c cause false positive lupus

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

does hep c cause false positive lupus

has anyone lese been diagnosed with both? and have you had issues with doctors telling you it's the other disease, not the one your seeing him for? i'm at my wits end. does anyone have suggestions as to how to deal. my symptoms are real. is it because i'm a female?
I'm sorry I don't have an answer to your question.  If you post on the Hep C forum you may get a response.
Sorry!  You are in the right forum! Clearly I'm not recovered from the "fog".  Oh well, you got a bump up! : >
Finally!! Someone who is like me. I have lupus. I know this b/c I had a skin biopsy come back positive. Positive ANA and sun sensitivity rash.
However, I also tested positive for smooth muscle antibody 1:80 titer.
I have also tested positive for Hep C antibody. I am awaiting test results for HCV RNA to determine if I have the actual virus (viral load).
My Rheumy is NOT concerned about the smooth muscle antibody. He says sometimes in autoimmune we just develop antibodies.
Seems kind of wierd to me that I have as many antibodies for Autoimmune Hep as I do for Lupus.
My liver panels are normal.
I hate waiting for test results.....
If I have Hep C and Lupus...I'm screwed. My lupus medicine is meant to slow down my antibodies but if I have Hep C, I need to make antibodies......

I believe you misunderstand this. You do not need to make antibodies. You already have them. The problem with lupus and hep C is that many of the meds for lupus are dangerous for people with hepatitis. The lupus drugs suppress the immune system and you do not want that to happen with hep C. Let's hope your RNA test comes back undetected.
I do not have hep C!!!! I was positive for the antibody but my Rheumy thinks it was only b/c out my lupus. The HCV RNA test was negative!!
Congratulations!! That's wonderful news.
Be well,
Mike