Hepatitis C Community
does liver biopsy hurt

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

does liver biopsy hurt

iam scared shed a good light.. hope
My partner recently had a liver biopsy and had no pain whatsoever. It was a positive medical experience. My father had a liver biopsy done by a trainee and had no pain either. Some people do have some pain, and perhaps someone will be able to write about that. My understanding is that it's more likely to be some shoulder pain afterward, for example.
like this disease hits everyone differently, these tend to also, but if you just look at boards it seems that *most* people really don't think they are that big of deal, in terms of hurting...when you think about it, a root canal process lasts a lot longer...make sure you get some meds...which is my problem, I'm allergic to all the good types of pain meds, the opiates, percocet, vicodin, etc...most people aren't allergic though, I'd guess....and then I hear they are now giving you versed and things to help you with the process, probably other people can tell you about more about the newer process...best of luck...
I had pain... wheee --- I'm such a big baby. LOL!

I have the lowest threshold for pain ever. Call me the OWIE queen. LOL!

But it did go away. So will yours.

It's more of a sting - kinda pinch - then "poof" all done - kick back forever and a day... and la la la la la... and then go home.
I had a biopsy way back in 1996. It didnt hurt.
I am a little different to many here (actually I am just a little different) in that I don’t believe biopsies are all that necessary. Comes from being a G3 I guess. Biopsies are only useful if you are going to use them as a decision tool in whether to treat or not.

The stats below are not meant to scare you, just an indication that biopsies carry small but measurable risk to them.
If you are going to treat anyway why have one.
http://www.hcvadvocate.org/hcsp/articles/Keeffe-1.html

The Biopsy procedure is associated with
pain in 30%,
severe complications in 3 per 1000,
and death in 3 per 10,000 of patients.

CS
the procedure itself I didnt feel a thing. About an hour later had severe shoulder pain whuch I read could happen. It lasten 1 day..and went away. I just had slight pressure like a sensation of throbbing in the liver for awhile.

My experience: NO BIG DEAL just an inconvience layng around in the hospital for 5 hours after.

You''ll be fine.
good luck
Only problem I had was got real sick from the narcotics they used to relax me, I was told there is a patch they can use to stop opiate sickness like seasickness.