Hepatitis C Community
donate organs

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

donate organs

if you have been diagnosed with dormant hepatitis c as a result of blood transfusions in early 1980's and no other signs of this can you still be an organ donor - thank you
This is a question that should be directed to either your doctor, or better yet, to a transplant center. From personal experience, I’ve been told that I could not donate being HCV antibody positive; however, I understand that TP centers might consider TP to an HCV positive recipient under certain conditions.

You might try to contact a transplant center and speak with them.

Best,

Bill
you may be able to donate your love making equipment....come on...you know damn well ya cant donate if you have any kind of contagious disease.
Hepc does not become "dormant".  If you test positive for the antibodies only and not the active virus, then you have spontaneously cleared on your own.  You will more than likely test positive for antibodies the rest of your life even though you do not have the active virus.  If you have chronic hepc and have chosen not pursue drug therapy for eradication of the virus the disease will continue to ravage your liver.  Either way, under normal circumstances you are not allowed to donate organs.
Trinity
Good question tho...but ask your self...would you accept and organ from someone who had hep c and it went dormant?...i know i wouldnt...not worth the chance
Yes you can.
____________________________________________________-
by Douglas Dieterich, MD

Add as Friend

Douglas Dieterich, MD  
Male
New York - NY
Member since May 2008  

, Jul 03, 2008 05:51AM
To: Steve2727
You cannot donate blood, but you can donate organs. Seems silly but that is the way it is done. Many people are offered HCV + livers if they have HCV already and there is no real issue with it.
Donate your organs! We should all be doing that and with the Holiday weekend coming up all of us who can should donate blood! DTD
Rocker.........Good question tho...but ask your self...would you accept and organ from someone who had hep c and it went dormant?...i know i wouldnt...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life or death??? Hell yes i would. Beggers can't be choosers:)

cando
So you can only donate to an already existing HCV patient?  Someone without HCV would not be able to receive an organ from someone who has test positive for the antibodies or has cleared the virus?  That is my understanding?
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/287389

Not only are HCV+ livers being used to save the lives of other HCV patients, the transplant recipient could end up changing genotype. Definitely something to keep in mind.
I was told that I couldn’t donate because of  advanced stage of fibrosis (stage 3/4); in addition to being HCV RNA/HCV antibody positive. My doctor said, “no one would want that liver due to existing damage”.

I heartily agree with some of the other comments and encourage ‘Abuelo’ to follow up with a call to a TP center for further advice.

Bill
Well it depends on the situation...if other "clean" organs are not available welll of course you take what ya can get...goes without saying...but i dont think i want your brain cando man....LOL