donating blood with HCV
Hi every one,

As i posted on the forum a couple months ago, i was infected with HCV. However, when i came to the clinic to have my liver and blood checked, the doctor there told me that i was okay because my immune system did their work well. That means i don't need to worry at all. Just in case i am still worried about HCV, i can consider a retest 6 months later just for peace of mind. In my city, the source of donated blood is very rare and i really wanna help them though i am very worried if i can transmit HCV to the healthy persons. Please, i need help from any one up here.
How would you feel if you got infected by blood of someone who donated their blood knowing there is a possibility they might be infected with hepatitis C?

I realize that there are many blood drives going on in Vietnam trying to ease the nation's blood shortage but you should NOT be one to donate blood with your history of possible infection.

Vietnam's blood supply is not safe. All blood is not properly screened for infectious viruses. It is known that people who are hospitalized multiple times in Vietnam have a high risk of viral infection through blood products.

You shouldn't be willing to risk infecting many people in a poor developing country country where infectious diseases are still major health problem. Hepatitis C is a disease that is largely unknown even by doctors and that most people can't afford to treat. Treatment can cost as high as VND200 million ($9,500). When many people only make VND4-5 million (US$190-240) a month.

You say "i'm living in a small city in Vietnam so there are not real experts of HCV here". Who knows if you are infected with hepatitis C or not if you can't find knowledgeable doctors? It is known the the best health care is in the big cities even though most of the people live in the country.

"i can consider a retest 6 months later just for peace of mind.", You aren't even sure if you are infected or not, so that means you shouldn't donate.

Do NOT donate your blood to anyone.

Get a viral load test (HCV RNA test) to learn if you are chronically infected or not. As you where told before the hepatitis C antibody test does not indicate if you are infected or not. Only that you were exposed to the virus.

Good luck.
Hector
the source of donated blood is very rare and i really wanna help them though i am very worried if i can transmit HCV to the healthy persons. Please, i need help from any one up here
----------------
Anyone who has tested positive for antibodies will never be able to donate blood (whether there is now UND. viral load or not)

However if you want to help in some way make sure you become an organ donor .Interestingly enough this is accepted as it is up to the transplant surgeons at the end of the day(so to speak) to make desicions oin what and what can not be used..

Best....
Will
Maybe you can encourage others who are not infected to donate. It is nice that you would want to help but you dont want to be a part of the problem.