Hepatitis C Community
earrings

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

earrings

My mom recently died with hepatitis c.  I'm going through her jewelry and was wondering if I could wear her earrings and, if so, how should I sterilize them?
Welcome to the forum.

I am very sorry that your mom recently died. I know it must be very difficult.

As far as your question about wearing the earrings.... You should be able to wear the earrings. Hepatitis C is spread from blood to blood contact. Your mother's blood would have to get into your bloodstream in order for you to get it. According to the CDC, the Hep C virus can survive outside of the body at room temperature for from 16 hours up to 4 days.

Although there is miniscule (if any) risk from getting Hep C from the earrings, if you want to clean the earrings, you could follow the CDC guidelines below.

From the CDC:
*How long does the Hepatitis C virus survive outside the body?
*The Hepatitis C virus can survive outside the body at room temperature, on environmental surfaces, for at least 16 hours but no longer than 4 days.

From the CDC:
*How should blood spills be cleaned from surfaces to make sure that Hepatitis C virus is gone?
*Any blood spills — including dried blood, which can still be infectious — should be cleaned using a dilution of one part household bleach to 10 parts water. Gloves should be worn when cleaning up blood spills.

http://www.cdc.gov/hepatitis/c/cfaq.htm
Hi I am so sorry to hear that your Mom died.
Pooh is right, she has given you great advice.
Take care
Dee