Hepatitis C Community
end stage liver disease

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

end stage liver disease

My sister 40 yo w/congential fibrosis of liver, renal failure, hep c.  In the past 2 months has had increased hepatic encephalopathy.  She is on the tx list and we have been called many times but due to a portorenal shunt (at age 8), and her very small size (4'10"; 95 lbs.), size has been a major issue.  She has been in/out of the hospital every couple of weeks for last month or so due to low blood pressure or escalated ammonia levels.  Can you give me an idea of what we can expect from here and maybe best/worst case scenarios of life expectancy.
  • Shunts
    Posted by Don Lusk on June 29, 1999 at 16:26:56 Greet...[more]
  • Shunts
    Posted By Don Lusk on June 29, 1999 at 16:26:56 Greetin...[more]
first, you should know that this board is a patient to patient only with no physicians monitoring the questions.  
The questions you have are best answered by the specialists tending to her case, it seems to be a complicated situation and I am very sorry that you and your family are in such need of answers with  seemingly no place to go.
There is a GI in the gastroenterology section that might give you an overview of what to expect.
best to you and your family