Hepatitis C Community
fatty infiltration

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

fatty infiltration

Six months ago I was told that I had a fatty liver, after a sonogram and a elevated liver function test. After elimination of a prescription drug I was taking and quitting all alcohol, which wasn't very much anyway,  my last bloodwork came back with liver enzymes back to normal.  I asked the gastroenteroligist if that meant that my liver was back to normal.  He said that my test were back to normal but fatty liver never goes away.  I couldn't get a good explaination what he really meant by this. I have seen different articles on the internet that said after a period of avoiding the thing that cause the fatty liver that it should return to normal.  Does anyone have any idea what he meant by a fatty liver never going away, even though my blood test returned to normal?  I didn't have a sonogram again so he wouldn't know this from a sonogram.  Thanks ahead of time for any help with this question.
I just recently discovered "fatty infiltration of liver". Some of the qustions I would love to be answered to are:
1. How is the term related to fatty liver
2. How normal is fatty infitration of liver
3. How to detect it on sonogram
4. does this mean I have to cut down on alcohol consumption which has dropped down to a pint of beer per 10 days.

Anyways Shelly I will try to ask around for your problem. Good Luck for ur efforts to solve the mystery of 'fatty liver'
Shelly, to answer a few of your questions,
1. fatty infiltration of liver is the same thing as fatty liver, fatty liver can go by a bunch of different names. Fatty infiltration, fatty liver, nafls (non-alcoholic fatty liver syndrome), afls, etc.
2. according to the american college of gastroentology, non-alcoholic fatty liver disease affects approx. 20% of adults and 5% children.Mostly obese people, but there are plenty of other factors of course.
3. i don't know how it is detected on a sonogram, when i had my ultrasound i didn't get to see anything the dr just called and said you have fatty liver.
4. like they say any alcohol can affect fatty liver but i wouldn't think a pint every 10 days would hurt much. i probably drink abuot the same. In fact my dr never asked about alcohol consumption or said do not drink. i suppose it's half way emplide but i wouldn't say i drink enough to have to stop completely either.

Hope this helps,
Anthony
I was diagnosed with a fatty liver a couple of weeks ago and have had upper right quadrant pain and i beleive it was because of all the alcohol i consumed over the  years. my doctor gave me a test and my liver enzymes were a little elevated but he did seem to be worried about it but wants me to repeat the blood work in 3 months should i be worried that i may have hepatitis?