Hepatitis C Community
fever and hep c

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

fever and hep c

Can hep c  cause you to run  a fever?    A family member has hep c, for about 15 years and has run fever about nine weeks now. Some doctors  say yes some no. Thanks
I ran off and on fevers that I really never understood. I would think I was getting sick then I wouldn't. Like you said most doctors are not in agreement with this.
I do believe because your immune system may kick into overdrive to fight the c virus, a person could run a fever.
If they have been checked out for other infections or causes for the fevers, I would say it may be a possibilty, clear enough lol.
Good Luck
Sorry for jumping in.
Hep C finally made headline news in the UK the other day!  What took them so long!  They basically said that anyone who has ever injected drugs, had a blood transfusion, a tattoo or a piercing should be tested for Hep c.  The government are apparently also running a public awareness campaign.
I noticed I get very low grade fevers too...however my normal body temp is 96.8 not 98.6 (funny how it is the reverse) so when I do get a fever, nobody believes me unless they look in my chart to see what my temp is when I'm not sick... And I know I am very very prone to infections even though I have basically no liver damage and very mild inflamation (inflammation)...so like I have said before, everyone is different! But I do believe fevers off and on are one of the symptoms of this disease...your body is fighting that virus and things heat up I guess...some serious battles going on in there...
Cin
Very interesting article - especially the part about the government running a "Look Back" program and sending letters to 300,000 people who may have been contaminated with hepatitis C blood in transfusions before the tests were available to find hepatitis C.   I am curious to know if anyone on this board received such a letter and thus found out they had hepatitis C.

I run a search on fevers and hepatitis C and Found many informational web sites that listed a low grade fever as a symptom of Hep-C..

Here is a link to one such site.

http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/1999/299_hepc.html

Blessing

TonyZ
I never received a letter reccomending I get tested for Hep C even though both hospitals (UK) where I had surgery had surgeons that possibly infected women & babies with Hep c.  One hosptial, there were possibly 3,500 people infected & the other had around 300.  These surgeons were working at the hospitals when I had surgery.....now, tell me that's just a coincidence!  I have never injected drugs but had 2 small tattoos in my teens & a body piercing.  The first doctor I saw said it was possible that I got Hep c from the tattoos etc but my sisters had tattoos etc at the same parlour, same day & tested negative.
The government are running a scheme to compensate people that were infected during surgery, however, it is left to the client to prove their case, which is practically impossible when you're told that hospitals destroyed medical records after 10 years & you have to go through a whole lot of red tape to actually get any of that information in the first place.
What you said is kind of what I was thinking.  Do they really still have samples of blood from all the donees back to the 70's so they can test now for hep C?

In your case, it certainly does not sound like coincidence that you have C and were treated at a hospital where 3500 others were infected.  How did the infections take place - from reusing needles or something?  That just sounds awful.  Are there cases pending against these doctors?

I had a low grade fever for 29 days in a row before I even knew I had hep c. I started seeing a doc to find out what was causing fevers but found hep c instead. At the time they didn't think it was from hep but I'm not so sure