Hepatitis C Community
fibrosure result

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

fibrosure result

Just wanted to say I got my fibrosure test back today finally after 22 days  I got a  result of 0/1.  I have to go back on the 21st for my 2nd round of hep a/b vac.  We will  then discuss the plan.  With those results would you still feel like I would  need the biopsy?  All my other blood work from the liver institute has come back good.  Is this any indicator of how long I could have had it.  If I contacted it 30 years ago and you all say its either there or not, wouldnt I have some more damage?  I did drink up until about 3 years ago pretty regular.  It just seems like I would have more damage.  Any comments.  I sure feel better today than I have in a while.  I feel like I can let out a little  air.  
I'm not familiar with that test so I cannot make an educated comment on it....sorry.    
Get the biopsy.  I have fibrosure results, stage 1; verbal from 1st hepatologist, stage 2; biopsy report, stage 3; and verbal from 2nd hepatologist, stage 4.  I'm on my way to hepatologist number 3 for his opinion, soon.

I have read here that fibrosure is only accurate at very low or very high stages.  Not sure about that.  But my doctor, who knows this disease very well, did not even want to share the result of fibrosure with me.  In my case, I'm quite certain it is false hope.

Get the biopsy.  It's not that bad for most.
My fibrosure results were 0/0. My Biopsy (30 days later) results were 1/2 (Stage/grade). Infected 22+ years.  Not to far off, but not pinpoint accuate either.

I trust the biopsy result over the Fibrosure. However I have not seen many reports of the Fibrosure being off by more then a grade. It does happen though.

I to kicked around the idea of not getting a biopsy. But now I'm glad I did. I think it's a good idea to get a accurate baseline.
It could be that your blood counts were much higher when you were still drinking as the hep would have been severely aggravated and thus the liver damage progressing more rapidly.  Having good counts now doesn't mean that they were always good in the past.

As far as the fibrosure - if you believe you've had this disease for 30 years and were drinking I definitely would go for the biopsy. I have read that there are huge fluctuations between the fibro and biopsy so it's best to be SURE you stand if you are not sure you are going to do treatment.  If you are going to do treatment regardless then it's probably not as crucial but I'd still say go for it.

I had no idea that I had this disease and partied for 20 years anyway - turned out I was already stage 3...........glad i got the biopsy!
i had all three tests within 2 months of each other, FibroSURE F0, FibroSCAN Stage 1-2, Biopsy stage 1.  All results very close to each other. FibroSURE & FibroSCAN is only good to rule out cirrhosis. Liver biopsy is best to give staging but still is not 100% if only a single sample is taken. The best biopsy would be a core wedge done laparoscopically or needle biopsy taking 3 samples from different parts of the liver. Best of luck
Thank you for your thought and response.  I will carefully weigh these into my decision and discuss these possible situations with my liver specialist on next visit.  You all give me great answers and things to think on.  Thats what being pro-active is all about!