Hepatitis C Community
fingernails splitting down the middle help w bloodwork

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Has anyone had fingernails split down middle? What does 9,430,000 iu - 6.975 log10 mean - my ast 48 and alt 55
I haven't had my fingernails split down the middle, but in the last few years they have become extremely dry, brittle and shabby looking. My toenails also break very easily. Not sure it has anything to do with the hep c, but it would kind of make sense, since one also gets dry skin and hair. Probably has something to do with the digestion of fat in the liver. I'm not that knowledgeable in any of these technicalities. Your viral load is high and so are your other levels. You need to see a hepatologist, if you aren't already. But please do not panic, we're all in the same boat... Get all the tests you need to get and inform yourself on the illness. There is a lot of information all over the net. Educate yourself, then you will know more about it and will also be able to ask your doctor the appropriate questions. Follow the many logs, ppl here are extremely friendly and helpful. I joined this forum ca 10 days ago and have only met loving ppl. Very supportive... I'm lucky to have accidentally found this forum, and feel fortunate to be part of it. Good luck...
i noticed lately mine have a line down the center,

I googled it andBrittle nails

Women often have frequent breaking, cracking and splitting of nails while on interferon.  Anemia, thyroid abnormalities, dehydration, weight loss and poor nutrition all of which can occur on interferon, should be eliminated as possible contributing factors, and corrected if discovered. Constant nail biting may be a sign of interferon –induced anxiety.  A SSRI may be in order under these circumstances. Gloves should be worn when doing dishes.  Nails should be cut short, and nail salons and nail polish remover should be avoided.  Petroleum jelly (Vaseline) or olive oil holds the moisture around the nails and decreases breakage. Biotin, zinc and/or glucosamine chondroitin may afford some decrease in breakage, but this has not been proven.

found this, I think hydration has a lot to do with, There we more articles on this and other womans topics and HCV.    Also Nutrtion,  

Before and during tx my nails were hard, I mean so hard that it was a pain to keep them a decent length.  2 weeks after tx they started tearing at the finger level.  Right now I have them cut short and have no idea if they will get hard again.  I did 24 weeks and am undectable at 5 weeks post tx.

Denise
thanks for the answer. I am happy you are undectable.Great news.
Thanks for the good advice about caring for nails. I guess once I get on tx, I won't have any left. :-) time will tell...  marcia