Hepatitis C Community
first real result

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

first real result

First result of my HCV RNA 587,000. They say that's not bad I guess it's not for some people. But now my deciding factor for treatment will be my biopsy results. Hoping I can wait a little bit longer. Should I wait or go ahead with it is the? ????
Viral load doesn't really reflect how much damage is done to the liver or what stage of fibrosis a person is. As far as having a biopsy ~ some people want all the deciding info so they can plan. Even if the plan is to wait. ...if that's what you mean.  I was curious about what stage I would be. Plus I wanted to know so I could plan and not have to work full-time while I treated. Ultimately you should move at a pace you feel comfortable with. :)   :)
As Idyllic says, your viral load has no bearing on the stage of your liver damage.  If it were me, I would definitely proceed with the liver biopsy so that you can make an informed decision.
Advocate1955
If it were me, I would get an idea about the shape of my liver b4 getting a biopsy. If there is any chance that it is damaged badly then do it. But if not; wait for the next line of tx. I just don't agree with everyone that says biopsies are always necessary. Mri and other scans can give a lot of good info to the doc. And they aren't invasive.
I had the biopsy,  just waiting on the results. That was my first initial viral load and the only reason im debating treatment is due to work. I work full time 8-5. In microbiology, single parent, no help with that ect .... can I handle the treatment and still work?? That's the deciding factor I guess. Regardless of the liver damage if any,  I'm praying there isn't any at all. Wouldn't that be great. I go back on the 28th for my biopsy results and all my labs. Being I work in the lab it's nice to not have to wait on labs to get back :)
Good luck w your biopsy results. If you ar f-1 or f-0, you can probably wait.  If you are f-2, f-3, or f-4, you shouldn't wait. My husband worked full time through three treatments, so it's do-able, not easy, but do-able. Better than the alternative of waiting and developing end stage liver disease or liver cancer.
Advocate1955
  Well,  I am hoping you will be stage 0 or 1, and can wait for the Interferon Free regimen, coming down the pipe-lines, as they say.
   That being said, I see by your profile, that you are a genotype 2, and you are still fairly young. So if you are at a stage 3, I definitely think you should go ahead with the Treatment. But if you are at a stage 2...that would be a hard call, and I would then ask you if any of your labs are out of range.
     Interferon can cause permanent health problems, like thyroid problems, and increased joint pain (arthritis type symptoms), so it is really a question of weighing the risks with the benefits~
   I do think you could do the Treatment for genotype 2's. Remember, alot of the probs you read on here are from us geno 1,s who have had to do the Triple Treatment, yours would just be the Interferon shot, and the Ribavirin pills. You could take your shot friday night and be good to go, monday morning~