Hepatitis C Community
geno type

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

geno type

going for geno type test soon... whats that about?   how many types are there?
It is perfectly fine to keep asking questions on this forum. It is a good place to get accurate information.

When I was first diagnosed I did do a lot of Googling and what I found was a lot of outdated information. Yes, there is some current information on the net, but there is a lot more outdated information on the net than there is current information. Reading outdated information can be very scary. I think it is extremely helpful for new people who are just learning about Hep C to ask questions and obtain information from people who have been dealing with Hep C for a long time.

As an example, in the above post, I copied and pasted the info about the Genotypes, but I left out the part about the treatment for the Genotypes because that treatment information in that article is older and misleading.

So keep asking questions. We are here to help and to support.
Hi Catello,there are 6 known genotype,the most common in North America is the Genotype 1 that make for 70% of people with Hep C,the Genotype 2 and 3 mostly make up for rest of the percentage,the 4,5 and 6 are extremely rare.

I noticed you posted a few threads with basic questions like this.I don't know if your aware that you can use google to get all this info,it would be easier and quicker to get answers for you.

Best wishes

Dannyboi7
This article is a little outdated on the treatment so I did not include that part of the article. It appears to have been written before Triple Med Treatment was being used.

Are There Different Types of Hepatitis C?

Hepatitis C is divided into six distinct genotypes throughout the world with multiple subtypes in each genotype class. A genotype is a classification of a virus based on the genetic material in the RNA (Ribonucleic acid) strands of the virus. Generally, patients are only infected with one genotype, but each genotype is actually a mixture of closely-related viruses called quasi-species. These quasi-species have the ability to mutate very quickly and become immune to current treatments, which explains why chronic Hepatitis C is so difficult to treat.

Following is a list of the different genotypes of chronic Hepatitis C:

Genotype 1a
Genotype 1b
Genotype 2a, 2b, 2c & 2d
Genotype 3a, 3b, 3c, 3d, 3e & 3f
Genotype 4a, 4b, 4c, 4d, 4e, 4f, 4g, 4h, 4i & 4j
Genotype 5a
Genotype 6a

Genotype 1 is the most common type of Hepatitis C genotype in the United States and the most difficult to treat. For physicians, knowing the genotype of Hepatitis C is helpful in making a therapeutic recommendation.

http://www.hepatitis-central.com/hepatitis-c/hepatitis-c-genotypes.html

(The Genotype will determine the type of treatment you need.)

Hi catello, I've been newly diagnosed with hcv as well.  The people on this forum are so helpful and very knowledgeable and kind answering all of your questions.  I also found the link below very helpful.  Best wishes to you

WWW.hepatitiscnewdrugresearch.com
Hi pooh,hope your having a good day.I don't know about google USA,but google Canada as all the current info about HCV.And yes I do concur with you on asking any questions for the sole purpose of getting support.
"I don't know about google USA,but google Canada as all the current info about HCV."
--------------------------

Yes, the current info is on the net. That is why, in my previous post, I stated that there is some current information on the net.

The problem for newer people is that there is also a lot of old and outdated information on the net, especially information concerning treatment and SVR rates. Yes, the current information is available if you know where to look for it and if you realize that the publication date of the article or information is very important. Even with a current date (reviewed 2012 or 2013), some information is out of date. They update the review date, but they don't update the information in the article or on the site. The really good sites are more difficult to find unless you know where to look.

I think we should encourage people to come to the forum and to ask questions. It is far better to ask questions and get accurate information than to try to muddle through not understanding what is going on, what the tests mean, what type of treatment is available, what their options are, and/or what type of help they need. Those of us who want to respond to people asking questions will respond.
thank you for your responce..  actually i am catellos wife..and im inquiring for him because he is not good on computer.. I am getting a lot of good answers... and i do appreciate  it... I tried google but got confused..  You are thouough in your answers and a very good teacher..  May God Bless you richly...    Thanks again
  It's all good my friend keep asking questions anytime you want in this forum,folks here are very supportive and willing to help in the best of their abilities and many are very knowledgeable.