getting pregnant
I finished interferon/ribaviron treatment about 8 months ago.  I would like to get pregnant, but I am concerned about the risks.  Everything I read says wait at least 6 months.  When can I be confident that I can safely get pregnant?  Ever?  Has anyone gotten pregnant after treatment and had a healthy baby?
Wow...

Are you UND? SVR?

6 months is clearance rate ---  but me... personally - if it were me - I'd wait for 1 and a half years...

Just to let your body heal first and get rid of all the toxins.

Much luck to you!
The warning on riba is to make sure all traces are out of you.  There is a person who posts here 'Amommy', who successfully (geno 2 or 3) and had the intention to have more kid(s).  If I'm estimating right, I think she's about 7 months pregnant now.  Maybe she'll stop by and give you her experiences.  I think she waited little more than 6 months.
From what I understand, the six month waiting period is a very conservative time frame to prevent any possibility of problems. I wouldn't give it a thought at 8-months post treatment unless your doctor tells you too, or you otherwise were presented with evidence.

All the best,

-- Jim
i definitely don't know the lingo here....what is UND and SVR?  

I really didn't want to wait much longer...either do it now or be done with "the plan".  I am almost 39years old and I have 3 children.  My husband and I just always thought we'd have 4.  Then I was diagnosed with HepC and treated (after #3 was born) and my perfect little plan sort of flew out the window.  Maybe that's just life and I need to get over it.  I certainly don't want to chance any health risks for a 4th child--that seems pretty irresponsible on my part.  If I were a few years younger I would definitely wait, but under the circumstances I feel like I have to decice now.  
Hi- I treated when my son was about 1 1/2 years old. I got pregnant again within a few months of finishing tx- compltetely unaware that I should not have. I had a miscarriage- the egg was abnormal and couldn't grow. I'm not sure if this was related to the interferon or not. BUT the good news is- about 8-9 months after that I got pregnant yet again and had a beautiful baby girl. So maybe you might wanna wait a bit longer than 6 months...? Better safe than sorry- I know how devastating a miscarriage can be, so it's best to let your body rest up, IMO. I wanted more kids originally, but finances and other stuff got in the way. I decided two was a blessing and got my tubes tied- no regrets. Best of luck whatever you decide!
If you have confidence in your doctor and they say you can conceive now, then go ahead and don't let your past with Hepatitis C still control your life needlessly. If you don't have confidence in your doctor, then find one you do have confidence in and ask him. As far as I know, the opinions expressed here about waiting more than six months post treatment to conceive have no scientific or medical backing. It would be a real shame if based on the opinions stated, you decided not to have any more children. None of us are doctors here.

-- Jim

UND = Undetectable - viral load.

SVR = Sustained Virologic Response (cured by any other name... but no one really knows... I have yet to see someone return from 1 year of SVR.)

Good luck either way - OK?

Hugs,

Meki
that helps---thanks!
I am UND  and I guess it's cured.  Everyone I am reading knows a lot more that I do about their numbers--viral load..stages...I had genotype 2 and was on 24 week treatment.  My viral load was never very high (so I was told--don't know a number) and they never did a liver biopsy---dr. said it wasn't neccesary unless treatment didn't work.  Should I have had one?  Is that an opinion thing?
I was UND by 12 weeks into the treatment and have been ever since(almost a year).  Do you live in a constant state of fear that it will return, or does that go away over time? after 1 year can I stop worrying?
Apparently I had it about 26 years--since I was about 11 and found out at a routine physical.  I had a few symptoms, but nothing to make me think there was anything major wrong.  Really freaked me out---wish I had found this website then!  You have all been very helpful.  It is nice to know someone is listening and has been there----or is going through the same thing I had to go through.  Very comforting--Makes you feel a little less like a leper!  This is the 1st time I have felt that since I was diagnosed.  :)  Thanks again.  B
Don't worry - join the club...

There is such a stigma on HCV --- so we all need to speak up on the issue --- so that people realize that we can all have it.

That anyone --- you, me --- the guy next door - the priest --- the police officer - the president... the mayor --- everyone can get this disease... If they have had any surgeries, dental work, piercings, innoculations, transfusions, etc... etc...

Don't feel like a leper... I think the last average was that one in 10 have some form of HEP.

(Or something like that)

But --- welcome to the board... You'll learn a lot here --- and some great links.

Meki