Hepatitis C Community
gum problems or lepar

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

gum problems or lepar

Hello Everyone, well went to the dentist to have my teeth cleaned, and was told my bone had deteriorated to much for that,
but still have all my teeth, but a couple that were pulled in the back a couple of years ago and had complete periodonoc cleaning costing several thousand dollar's, have alway's taken
good care of my teeth, especially after the periodonoc treatment,
since have done all the flosing, and gotten special electric brush, and thought thing's were going to be great, my question is
does the C have any affect on the teeth? and what is going thru my mind, is that I was honest, and wrote on the pre-exam question's that I had hep c, just wondering If that is the underlying reason they didn't want to clean my teeth, am I becoming a leppar? I am trying to do the moral thing,but maybe I should just keep my mouth shut.. any comments?
I would not say anything, if you did not know you had hep c they would have to take the same precautions, I have cleaning next week gonna keep my mouth shut.
I agree.  Don't bring up the subject.  They should follow the professional practice of assuming that all patients are infected with something.  Anyway who knows  - improper procedures at the dentist's office might have spread the disease to you.  Would they tell you about that?  I think not.   Let them earn the big bucks and don't assume uneccessary guilt.  

Kit
You know, the only doctor's visit I ever felt I got that pariah-kind of treatment was the dentist!  I hate the dentist and when I change (as I do every two years or so), I won't be telling them about my HVC.  Why don't you try to find another dentist?

V.
It's worked out for me. It's kept a lot of people away from me that I tried for years and years to keep away. In fact, I don't think I'll tell people I am SVR. Instead, I'm going to tell them that I'm 'highly contagious' therefor, I won't be able to make that 'Thanksgiving Dinner'.

:)

But seriously. I think I've gotten a little bit of 'the leper syndrome' but that may just be my perception. People are so ignorant about HCV many people don't even know what it is. But it's hard to hide from people when you're treating when something is very clearly 'wrong'.

I'm too old to care at this point. Besides, I've been a pariah for so long I'm used to it.
Ypu are SO funny. Thanks for the big laugh. I need the endorphins.
I told my dentist. I always tell them. They need to not get it. I don't want anyone to get it.  But I'm undetectable now anyway. I have some gum problems but I wouldn't blame it on tx. I would say it is my age and lack of hygiene when I was a child. Two different dentists haven't treated me like a leper at all. I'm just another patient.

We are not supposed to have surgery while on tx. We are supposed to get our teeth cleaned and caps and fillings can be done. Sounds like you are taking really good care of your teeth. Bone loss is another problem. Do you do weight bearing exercise? Do you take calcium?  

I-Horn- HA HA HA HA!

Colhandluke: what we have here is a failure to communicate, course, you've heard that one...I told my dentist and he was completely okay about it, maybe people who live in bigger cities have dentists who are mostly used to it by now, who knows? More people with this in bigger cities....Or maybe that he's just a nice guy, I purposely made it my duty to find a nice, caring dentist, I actually went to a lot of trouble meeting prospective dentists and asking around...I knew I needed to do a lot of work and the last thing I want is some angry, frustrated dentist all up in my mouth with a jack-hammer...that's a lot of intimacy of the wrong kind...

I do think maybe a chronic infection infects the teeth, but age and not the greatest upkeep (and diet) can too, so six of one, half dozen of the other...I take great care of my teeth, but I had to do these things, or I knew I'd end up looking like the CryptKeeper....

I got everything done and it was a long, hard haul and VERY costly...I wonder how people without means even deal with their teeth?, yet they are so important to our overall health...I did things like ask to see the inner sanctum where the chairs were, etc...and not just the outer office....I figured if I saw dust bunnies in the corner and scuff marks on the machines, they didn't care that much and I'd pass...I also watched the way they spoke to their assistants, if they sounded like Coronel Klink, I'd figure I'd pass as well, I wanted NICE...

I just wish you the best luck with this, and if you can, find the RIGHT one, clean, efficient and highly capable.... and kind...the one I ended up with was even a bit cheaper then some I interviewed, but he was a foreign guy in this country, building up his practice here and I heard a lot of good things about him....best one I've ever been to, and I've been to a lot....BE WELL...
Luke... the best to you!

I-horn... once again, you've got me "laughing out loud"... and that's REALLY good!!!!! You know... I didn't know a thing about HCV when dx... and was like huh?  Now if the paper would have said HIV... we know that.. everyone would... it has/had more publicity.... when you're busy with life, you don't hear about HCV... it isn't stupid, it is just uninformed...

I dunno...
... don't think I'll say anything.. and whomever above said they should tx all dental patient as if they had a blood borne disease... I agree... As a dentist, he/she should treat every patient that walks in that room as HIV or HCV positive.!!! If they don't... and have to be told... well, in my humble opinion they should be closed down and not worth going to.. (and I don't wanna be there and you wouldn't wanna be there either, yeah?) 'cause what about when we SVR??? Do we wanna say, Hey... did the the woman/man before me have hcv/hiv... and were they given special attention??? Anyone that walks in there should get 'special' attention..  Hey, we all had this several years before we EVEN knew... I had it possible 15 yrs before being aware I had it... you know?  I betcha if anyone of us were dentist... we'd treat each person the same... as if he/she had a blood borne disease...'cause, one never knows, do one?  Libby
I screwed comment up  big time  !  I thought that last was from pro..  k . I will  regroup.        Thxs all .      Thought pro was callin me out . but i stand by original statement ,  tell your heathcare people and others that may come in contact with your blood . thxs  .    
                   Alohas    R.  - continue wekend fun on other side c ya.-
"I agree. Don't bring up the subject. They should follow the professional practice of assuming that all patients are infected with something. Anyway who knows - improper procedures at the dentist's office might have spread the disease to you. Would they tell you about that? I think not. Let them earn the big bucks and don't assume uneccessary guilt. "

What a skumbag attitude, I'll refrain from really expressing my opinion of you.
^pro

So... you just going to keep spreading this on to the people that u come in contact with ... sorry that sucks . not proactive . !  I work with patients blood and fluids 7 days a week .    Lets do what we can to slow this mother down!   We all got it from someone else when you think about it .
              Quit name calling and think !!
                                all cool here ,
                                                   Aloha,   R.
     One of those trick questions !      The proper answer is you should tell everyone, healthcare personnel / lover/ one nite stands, etc. which may come in contact with your blood.  It is correct that they all should use universal precautions ,but chit happens.  Morally, anything we can do to stop the spread of this blood borne desease to others is the proper route.
     As with a intimate partner, If  Drs./ nurses /dental techs.  have a problem with this... dump "em !!
                    Aloha.  R.
I agree with you... and have re-thought my comments... I do feel that dentist should treat all patients as potentially having a blood borne disease, because a lot of people are unaware they have hcv.  With further consideration, I agree with you full-heartedly to advise your dentist.   How are you?  Hope you're feeling okay with these meds... and getting a bit of enjoyable time.  Libby
email: ***@****
I am unsure reading if you have an email address or not. If not I will send you an address.
Putting it that way, makes your point crystal clear and I agree...
Now... what about a ride in that convertible?  Came on yesterday after a few days break from here... didn't see you, and when you're gone, I'm imagining you enjoying a ride (and hoping you're able to)... take real good care of yourself
Proactive:  I agree my attitude about it isn't very nice, and won't win me any karma points.    Infortuately we don't live in a perfect world.  I have reason to believe that I have received less-than-adequate care in several medical situations because is the caregiver knew I had  hep c.  Why do you suppose so much attention is given to the matter of privacy and health care records, especially where dangerous infectious diseases are involved?  We have the right not to release such information and theoretically may receive better and possibly live-saving care if we withhold it.   Interestingly, when the nurse first informed that I was hvc positive, she hinted in a rather direct way that I should not release the information casually  and stated bluntly that they do not release the information when they refer patients outside their clinic.   We didn't discuss the reason why, but one can guess.   Doctors are well aware of the hazards they face and get  paid handsomely for the risks they take.

Cheers
Kit
I really believe that both HCV and the tx have a tremendously powerful, negative effect on the teeth, gums, and bone structure supporting the teeth.  I have been plagued with tooth decay, bone loss, and gum recession problems over the decades, and some of the tooth 'decay' turns out to really be tooth and bone 'resorption'.  Which is a syndrome where the teeth start eroding away within, or at the root, due to 'unknown' autoimmune processes.  Read the dental literature on resorption, then consider that HCV probably triggers localized autoimmune reactions in the teeth and gums, causing this 'erosion'.  

Most of the people that I have met over the last ten years, who have had HCV for many years, seem to have very similar dental histories.  Lots of tooth problems, decay, bone loss, and frequently gum recession.  I have also heard 'war stories' of people after their tx being really bombarded by new dental problems, calling for root canals, implants, gum surgery, etc.

I would like to get some forum comments from everyone out there regarding their own dental experiences and HCV, as well as problems developing after tx.  Probably similar mechanisms for the HCV and tx as far as impact on the teeth.

Comments????     Personal experiences????

DoubleDose
Double Dose,
Glad to see you post this question. I have had dental from time to time over the last 10 years just as most but since being on treatment I have noticed that my gum line has receded quite a bit to the point there are, what I consider, little gapes between the teeth at the base and the gum line is sensitive all the time. Have a heck of a time after eating food and getting caught between the teeth and have caulked this up to the on going sx problems of the meds.
jasper
sorry for being so thick, yes, I certainly do have an email address, I work from my computer at home (can you tell? ha ha)...but my hotmail address is not working, and I don't want to put my good email address on a public forum...but I'll definately contact you on this...thanks so much, much obliged!
You need to be honest with your dentist. The meds can cause you to have less saliva and that affects the mouth.
You need to be brushing with Arm and Hammer dental paste [Complete Care], that formula has 65% baking soda and peroxide ans it kills the bacteria. If you are really interested in saving your teeth you also need to irrigate with baking soda and water mixture. This gets down into the pocket areas and kills the bacteria.The drugs we are on are hard on the entire body.
If your dentist is a jerk because you have Hep C then either report him or find another. They are to use the same precautions for everyone.
Yeah I am in the field and have been for over 30+ years.
I also have bone loss but I have avascular neucrosis along with Hep C that was contracted from prescription drugs. What a mess. I am awaiting my meds to start this week. Mail order is soooooo slow.
Good Luck and if you'd like more info let me know.
I want to thank all of you on here- you have been a life saver for me.
hi, thanks for your post...can you elaborate on this irrigation? I want to be up on all the lastest things for teeth, I've got all crowns and caps now, ha ha! But they sure are white and purrty, they should be, I bought em! Is there special things that I should be doing with so many crowns and porcelain caps? I've heard that gingival inflammation can be worse with these things....many thanks! I have a little bit of receding gums, not much...guess most people would by my age anyway (53) and Ive thought of doing a gum replacement procedure...once again, thanks!
Hey, did babies even come with teeth 53 years ago? I thought that was a relatively recent evolutionary development ;-)

I had to do that gum replacement on a doll not long ago. Not as bad as it sounds - a tube of advesive caulk (red if you can find it) from your local building center plus a couple flaps of innertube rubber and you're good to go.

Better to let it cure overnight, I've learned.

Hey you can keep all those white caps forever! I have had all mine crowned also- it helps when you work in the field. Where do you live? I am sending you a link to a great site. We have used this mans procedures in our office for over 20 years and the majority of patients[ those who want to save thier teeth] do not have gum disease and they keep their teeth.
go to http://www.drpaulhkeyes.com and read this info.
I am in Jax Fla and can send you info if you are interested. I 55 and have been with this doc for 26 years and have no gum problems and since starting treatment next week am going to have my teeth cleaned every 2-3 months. I have been told every 3 months is really important.
Hope this helps. If you need some more data I will be glad to help.
youre so very kind...yeah, chicklet mouth! it's funny, I have one lone tooth that hasn't been messed with, (on top) why are the bottom teeth usually stronger? probably a reason....anyway, my left incisor(?) up top, and i'm so spoiled with this bright shiny whiteness, that I thought of having that bleached, then I thought, woman, check your vanity PLEASE! ha ha ha!

Is there a way that I can contact you? an easy way, my junk email that I'd post isn't working for awhile, dont know what i did...This site has been saying that they would find a way for private emailing here, but guess it hasn't happened yet, to my dissapointment...

yes, definitely, after all those procedures, I really want to keep every one of these little suckers...it's so expensive now, I think people have to pick "car for transportation"... or.... dental work? geeeez....and dental insurance is a joke most times, at least for me...cause most of this stuff is considered cosmetic...yeah right, you don't want to look like a jack-o-lantern and the insurance co's say that's cosmetic...don't get me started, ha ha! anyway, so grateful for this, I will go to that site...I've been doing cleanings every 6 months, I guess I better start every 3 huh? though the insurance will pay for every 6...guess I'll just pay for the one extra...as you can see, I really want to help matters with my teeth all I can...youre a dear...
Nice to hear from you. Doing fine here, in fact today is one absolutely beautiful New England day, that Nor'eastern in March is a fading memory (lol)..
As to the comments on not informing your health professionals of hcv infection, imo it is the morally correct thing to do....
Let's see, so Kit believes he (or she) has the right to not inform the healthcare professional of his infection ( I won't comment on the vindictive undertones), potentially exposing them to the virus...interesting...So if Kit was laying in the middle of the road near death, bleeding profusely and paramedics showed up to assist him, then he informed them of his hcv, following Kit's thinking, don't the paramedics have a right to refuse him care? They are simply looking out for what they believe are their best interests.
Seems like the pot calling the kettle black to me..
you never mentioned if all your teeth stayed in after treatment? I almost don't wanna know....(hands over ears in crouching position)
....(hands over ears in crouching position)
Absolutely not sure where to go with this one--- so I show all-too-rare restraint. .

I've had me some teeth issues for forever. British blood and all that. So I try to keep up. I get a crown a year or so - I don't know - maybe I got six or eight so far. Had some bone loss on the bottom front due to chronic below gum inflamation (inflammation) and they harvested one tooth to make more room and shuffled the rest with braces. I actually had just gotten the braces when I received the cirrhosis dx and started treating. So that rather sucked.

All that - and things ain't all that great still -  down in the bottom front. I figured if I loose one down there I could use the hole for spitting sunflower seeds. Then came the colonoscopy and they told me no more seeds. I have a plan B, but I'll leave it at that.    
I'd rather be a lep than a liar - and morally responsible for someone getting my disease.

I'd rather MY chain of HepC ended with ME.

That I'm not a Pariah passing it on to others.

I tell everyone ---- and I inform people of possible routes of transmission.

I inform others of the ways they can catch HepC... And I tell everyone I work with, live with, etc. that I have HEPC.

And I'm NOT ashamed of it.

I'm saddened sometimes by people's reactions to that which they don't know. But I am a part of the education.

I'm sorry you feel that you cannot tell someone ---- someone who WILL have contact with YOUR bodily fluids --- that you have HEPC.

That's like sleeping with a lover - and not telling them you have a contagious STD - and not using protection.

It's irresponsible - unfair and immoral.

If your doctor treats you innappropriately after you advise them that you have HEPC - file a grievance.

Find another doctor.

But better to be scorned than to transmit this disease further.

Meki