help with liver transplant
I am in need of a liver transplant I have hep c and cirrohsis the hospital where I go isn't doing much for me other than making it harder for me they will not put me on a list untill I complete a 6 month therapy  with a licensed therapist
because I drank even though it's been 10 years since I drank achohol and after that they do not guareentee they will put me on a list untill I do the tests I have already done stress test ect. to make sure I am strong enough to survive the surgery and to add insult to injury my medicare will not start untill april of 09 because when losing my job and waiting for dissability I lost my insurance and the nightmere goes on does anyone know of a state and hospital that is more patient friendly than the on I live in and if there is a multiple transplant list a person can get on?I am frustrated all
the time because of the lack of help I am getting from the doctors and hospital I go to it is almost like they are looking for reasons not to help me thankyou any suggestions would be appreciated
sorry you are going through this. It is a real shame that our medical care is like this. The reason they are so careful with liver transplants is it is a very expensive operation, and they don't want to waste a liver on someone that can not survive the oper or maybe continue drinking alcohol. I think you will find this is the case in any state. Hope it all works out for you.
If you have a history of drinking you will have to go through the alcohol process they want you to. That is common. I have the same problem you have. I can't afford the insurance needed to even get on the liver transplant list. I did ask and attorney and he said check out cover colorado. You may try typing your state in and see if you pull something up. They work with prexisting conditions. It will be expensive and make sure you read all the fine print.

I have a SSD advocate helping me. She is looking into insurance companies and doctors that help those without insurance. You may try to find a SSDor hep c advocate in your area and see what they can help with. My medicare won't start for two years. I worked to hard to keep the SSI and medicaid card I got for a supplement until SSD kicked in. I made a few hundred to much to keep the medicaid. I would have rather made less per month from SSI and have the medicaid that get the SSD and have to wait for medicare. Medicaid pays about everything but medicare only pays 80%. I understand a liver transplant now is close to $600,000.

You will need the insurance to get on the list anywhere. One thing is the list goes by your meld score not necessarily when you got on the list. Usually it can take years before your meld score qaulifies you and a liver match then has to be found that fits you. In the meantime do all you can to stay healthy.  If my SSD advocate comes up with something I will post it if I think it may be helpful. I wish you the best.
thanks for answering me the info was helpfull it just gets confussing when you got one doctor saying you need a transplant now another saying nothing another saying I've seen people with worse livers than yours another saying your at high risk for cancer as for trying to stay healthy I learn online as best I can especially about diet because the doctors don't tell me so if anyone knows about diet please pass it my way I know red meat is no good so I don't eat it I lost some weight because I was afraid to eat anything one doc said 64 grams of protein is o.k. poultry and vege's are o.k. eat organic as much as possible low sodium 2000 mg or less a day I take laculose 5 times a day two water pills high blood pressure pills and I take chinese medicine from a chinese doctor my wife is chinese and I lived in china for awhile and I did see some amazing things while there
I wish I was there now the chinese medicine has really helped get my numbers better than they were. I'm told my meld is 17 had an mri and ultr sound about 2 month's ago no cancer anyway any help or info is appreciated especially about diet and how to find multi list for transplants I do belong to the national foundation for transplants anyone else out there signed up with them to get fundraising help?anyway thanks again
iplaylead
There is a forum entitled "Transplants" and someone may be able to give you additional information on that forum as well.  Good Luck
Trinity