Hepatitis C Community
hep c and anemia

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

hep c and anemia

does being anemic during hep c treatment cause brain cell damage due reduced oxygen to brain
No, but if you have a heart problem the anemia could be troublesome. In fact ribavirin is contraindicated in some people with heart disease.
No.

Hemolytic anemia is a common side effect of Ribavirin. (hemoglobin <10 g/dL)

Just like a car, your body needs fuel to run. Hemoglobin, or Hb, is important because it transports oxygen in your blood to all parts of your body. Think of the oxygen carried by hemoglobin as the fuel your body needs to stay alive and run efficiently. Hemoglobin is a substance found in your red blood cells that carries most of your oxygen. Although other substances in your body, such as water and plasma, also carry oxygen,
hemoglobin is unique because it can carry four times as much oxygen throughout the body.

Anemia is caused by low levels of red blood cells, or hemoglobin, in your blood. A severely anemic person’s blood cannot carry enough oxygen to meet the needs of the body tissues. As a result, over time the person becomes tired physically and mentally, and feels cold. When on interferon and ribavirin treatment for Hepatitis C, a
reduction in hemoglobin very commonly occurs and in most cases, it is maintained at levels below the normal laboratory ranges, returning to normal after treatment is completed or stopped. Anemia is an expected side effect of treatment with interferon and ribavirin.

Heart attacks are the most server side effect of Ribavirin due to anemia. Cardiac disease may be worsened by drug induced anemia, patients with a history of 274 significant or unstable cardiac disease should not use Ribavirin.

For safety information about Ribavirin and PegINF go to MedWatch: The FDA Safety Information and Adverse Event Reporting Program.

hectorsf
My understanding is that the brain gets the oxygen first, so it's the other parts of the body that tend to suffer most in cases of anemia.  Thank goodness tx anemia doesn't sacrifice brain cells -- otherwise, as anemic as my husband has been on treatment, he'd probably have forgotten his own name by now! ~eureka
Thanks for your answers that's good news I just thought that alcohol deprives brain of O2 and destroys brain cells so it crossed my mind that long term anemia might also do this I feel better now

I get results tomorrow foe the final check to see if type A has gone ........ After 48 weeks and a 6 month wait I think I am ready for any answer

Cheers