Hepatitis C Community
hep c and liver enzymes

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

hep c and liver enzymes

Hello, my boyfriend was just diagnosed with hep c last week. He has an active infection. So I've had an antibody test and a liver enzyme. Both were normal. Neg antibody. If I was infected how long does it take your liver enzymes to elevate? Also should I get a Nat test done in 8 weeks to be sure. I used his toothbrush and we had long sex sessions (hours) with no protection *(never anal). thanks
Annie,
You tested negative for antibodies so if you're not satisfied with the results and feel you want additional testing you can always have a HCV RNA test by PCR.  This will show whether you have the virus in your bloodstream.  Or you can wait another 3-6 months and test for antibodies again.

Don't worry about the liver enzymes.  Your antibody test is negative and your liver enzymes are normal so thus far there is no virus to elevate the enzymes.

Monogamous couples are advised not to change their sexual practices with the presence of hepatitis c.  
Shouldn't swap toothbrushes anymore and be careful not to use his nail clippers.  I didn't know I had the virus until 38 years had passed and no one in my family has it except me.  Lot's of cuts, scrapes, toothbrush and nail clipper swapping so it's not as easy to contract this virus as people think but it better to be safe than sorry.

Good Luck to you and your boyfriend,
Trinity
I got my hep c from my boyfriend....I came in contact with hs blood in june 2009 and oct 2009 i became very ill... I would get checked every few months for the next couple months just to be sure... This is no fun :(
It took about 26 years for my liver enzymes to elevate... so I wouldn't go that route if I were you. Do like Trinity says if you feel uncomfortable, and avoid his blood.

Good Luck!