Hepatitis C Community
hep c and meds you can or cant take

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

hep c and meds you can or cant take

I found out I had hep c a few months ago I started pain management they but me on 7.5/500 loratabs  and they new I was hep c positive now my GI dr  doesn't wanting me taking any thing with Tylenol or motrion in it what else can they give me for my chronic back pain  I feel so scared and alone  I don't no what to do
any information would be grateful  thanks

TH
There are many medications you can take.  I have had hep c since 1987.  I also have RA and degenerative disc disease with 3 herniations in l-spine and 7 herniations in thoracic area.  I take methadone for pain.  I have tried all the others oxycodone without Tylenol and fentanyl patches etc... All of which I was allowed to take with hep c bit the methadone works best and doesn't mess with my mind.  You pain mgmt drs should know what you can take or check with your GI doctor.
Check out www.drugs.com.  Enter a search word and find the "drug interactions" section.  When you look up "pegasys or ribavirin" for example, I found that one of my sleeping pills was on the list, so I switched to another brand.
Welcome to the forum! Patients with liver disease are advised to avoid all NSAIDs like ibuprofen but Tylenol is okay as long as your total daily dose is never more than 2000 mg. you have to read labels carefully because Tylenol is added to many drugs and you have to add up all the sources.

Beyond Tylenol if you have severe pain you can take narcotics without Tylenol added. There is some indication that they might help the HCV to replicate more rapidly so its really best to limit them as much as you can, but some people can't. I've also got a chronic painful spinal condition and have required narcotics for years now, including while on triple tx with Incivek, and yet I did achieve SVR. I currently take Opana ER, but many other narcotics are available without Tylenol added. Good luck!
my GI dr  doesn't wanting me taking any thing with Tylenol or motrion in it
----------------------------------
Given the research and many studies done this advice may be too broad and general .

First off..these two drugs you mentioned are two completely different types of medication.
Tylenol is the brand name for the drug that contains the pain management medication "acetaminophen and Motrin is from the "Nsaid" family.

As you can see from the thread copied(below) below  drugs from either one of these families can be tolerated by most, even those dealing with HCV,however the Nasaids are of a concern to most with"advanced liver fibrosis" (chirrosis (cirrhosis)) due to possible bleeding problems.

Like any medication taken,especially by people dealing with any "liver" problems.advice should be sought out by a physician knowledgeable  with "liver disease"

Good luck...

Will

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Hepatitis-C/Article-on-pain-meds/show/1552015?personal_page_id=1837989