hep c and pregnancy
if i were to get pregnant, would i be able to give birth to this child without passing the disease on to my child? will i be able to deliver naturally or will it have to be c-section?  and does anyone know of any web sites were i can read up on this kind of info??? thank you.....
I had two babies while I had HepC.  Both turned out to be C-sections (not because of the HepC).  Neither has HepC (now 9 and 11).

It is unlikely but possible to pass the virus along.  Do a google on hepc and pregnancy and you'll find plenty of info.

When I was diagnosed, my second child was 9 months old and they told me to stop breastfeeding.  My understanding is that that is no longer the recommendation--I'm not a doctor and I'm not 100% certain, but I think that breastfeeding is no risk.

Good luck to you.
Hi there!

The chances of passing hep c to your baby via vertical transmission are very very low (under 5%).  However, it IS possible.  I passed it to my 2.5 year old. Knowing that I had hep c, I opted for a C section and not to bf because they are pretty unsure about when it is transmitted to the baby.  Some of the articles I read suggested that the transmission rate is lessed with a c section.  I will try to dig those articles up.  However, that being said, I opted for those things so that in my mind I knew I did everything possible to minimize the risk of passing hep c on to my child.  Unfortunately, it wasn't enough in my case.  If I had to do it again, knowing what I know now, I would probably go ahead with the natural delivery and bf'ing that I so desired.  Of course, hindsight is 20/20.

I asked many questions of my doc, including whether bf'ing might actually help my daughter if she was infected because of course she is going to get my antibodies in the breastmilk.  Of course, no research has been done on this, and no one could answer my questions, but that is for another day.
Anyway, more than likely your child will be just perfectly fine!  In the very event that your child is infected with hep c, please don't despair.  Children who are infected typically handle the virus very very well.  My daughter is proof of that!  She is a very healthy active 2.5 year old.

I opted to treat after she was born, and will be coming up on 6 months post treatment in about a month.  We are anxious and excited to try for another blessing!  

Best of luck to you.  If I can dig up the articles that I used in making my decision, I will post them.  Of course, they might just be outdated by now, I haven't researched this topic in quite some time!

Stick around here, it is a great place! :)
Hi there!

there was a recent study that showed no difference in hep c transmission via either delivery method, so c section should not be suggested because of hep c. I agree with the breastfeeding. not one single documented case of transmission that way.
do type "hep c and labor/delivery", so that you can read the latest studies.  The instances of vertical infection have occured mostly in women with very high viral load.  Avoid any invasive procedures like ammnio and internal fetal monitoring, etc. nothing that can 'inject' your blood into the baby fluids.  I did not know I was hep c positive, but I insisted on no episiotomy, fetal monitor, and ammnio, of course no c section either. breastfed that baby many years.  she tests negative for hep c antibodies each time.  There is a risk, no matter what you do, but it is very low, even with high VL.  Is there a possibility you can treat before?  someone here treated because she wanted to become pregnant hep c free.  I know she finished tx, but can't recall if she is now SVR.
Yes, I was neg at 3 months post.  Will do my 6 month at the end of the month.

About the childbirth studies, I believe the one you posted is more recent than the one I referenced.  I'll have to dig.  I was gone for the morning, but plan on rotting my brain online in the afternoon.  HAHA.  
How are you doing?
amommy makes a good point for when you do a bit more research, check how recent the studies are, and how many subjects were included.  Many of them are small and might present a slight benefit in elective c section over vaginal delivery, but the larger studies are more representative of the possible outcome, here is one from 2001, with over 15 thou women
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=retrieve&db=pubmed&list_uids=10706568&dopt=Abstract

if, in your research, you find a study, recent and large enough to be representative, and shows a significant advantage of one over the other, I think we all know what we would do.  some say no to ammnio and others say there is no evidence.  I think that anything that invades the baby's body or her surroundings can be a risk.
research!  I used 'hep c and delivery and childbirth' and got good results

amom; didn't you have an earlier pCR that was negative?  
good luck on this one!
You are such a sweetie!  Good to see you hanging around here. :)  How is your son doing?  Is he feeling better than he was a couple of weeks ago.  I keep him and you in my prayers!  Hope to report back here with good news in a few weeks.  Told hubby to get ready for baby time. HAHA.  How are you holding up?
doing ok, thanks for asking.

Please let us know when the newbie is on his/her way.  I don't remember a post tx baby mentioned here since I have been reading.  this could be a first.  looking forward to a baby shower!
One thing you should be more concerned about is becoming pregnant if you've gone, or are going, through tx.  Ribavirin does carry a very strong disclaimer and warning on the ramifications it can have with respect to birth defects.