Hepatitis C Community
hep c questions

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

hep c questions

my mother in law was a drug user for over 30 years. i recently found out she has hep c. she didnt tell us and that  hurt my husband very bad. i know she has had it for over 20 years. she was very sick with it and now says she is in treatment and has cleared it. it scared me because she has had very close contact with my children. once i noticed she had a hang nail that looked like it had been bleeding earlier and she stuck her fingers in my babies mouth to feel the new teeth coming in. that was before i knew about the hep c but still grossed me out. i had both kids tested and they dont have it. my question is can she clear it and be completely not contagious? should i worry? if she cleared it can it come back? can it ever be a problem for my family? my daughter gets every virus she is exposed to. gets sick very easy. is that a problem?
You mother-in-law has stated she is treating for hepc and is currently undetected for the hepc virus.  She can't infect anyone if no virus is present in her blood and your family is in no danger.  The hepc virus is not passed from person to person like other viruses.  It is a blood borne disease and blood must enter the bloodstream of the other person in order for infection to occur so regardless of how susceptible your daughter is to viruses your mother-in-law poses no threat at this time.  Many of us have had hepc for years and no other family members are infected so everyday interaction doesn't put family members at risk.  You shouldn't share personal items such as toothbrushes, nail clippers, etc as to ensure there is no blood contact, however, the odds of transmitting the virus in that way is very low.  If your mother-in-law achieves a sustained virological response which mean no virus in her blood 6 months after completion of treatment she is cured.

Trinity
Trinity explained it perfectly. I just wanted to add that I would ask your mother in law to share test results with you and your husband to make sure she is cured. Since she hid it all this time I would want to make sure she really did treat it or treating it.