Hepatitis C Community
hep c resuts after 11 weeks

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

hep c resuts after 11 weeks

I was wondering if anyone with personal or profesinal experience can tell me how accurate hep c results that came back non-reactive after 11 weeks???
thanks everyone in advance
An 11 week neg puts you in very safe territory.  Most people test pos after about 50 days.  The Cdc says the window period is 2 weeks to 26 weeks.  Antibody tests are always more accurate as the number of days increases.

if i were you, i would go in for a final antibody test at 26 weeks.  i know it seems like a long time but your 11 week neg is a very good sign.  i would be shocked if your 26 week test turned pos.

may i ask what your exposure was?  hep c is transmitted mainly through blood transfusion and intravenous drug use.  sexual transmission is possible but rarely happens.  Fyi.
i shared a needle while i was drunk out of my mind to shoot up up crystal meth never gonna make that mistake again in my life so please dont lecture me on my stupidness
i certainly was not lecturing you.  i asked very politely what your exposure was.  

Anyway, your 11 week neg is a very good start.  Get a final test @26 weeks, I hope and believe it will be neg.  Put this behind you and move on with life.

Your risk was very high.  Sharing needles for drug use is the most efficient way to transmit hep c.

you should also be tested for Hiv.  

Good luck with everything and let us know how this turns out.
Sorry Jakied i though you were gonna lecture me in the following message but it looks like ur a really cool guy anyway am having a test next week again at 13 weeks i was wondering how accurate those test would be and if it would different much from my 11 week??
don't waste your money with a hep test at 13 weeks.  Your 11 week neg is very reliable.

If you haven't been tested for hiv, do that at 13 weeks.  Hopefully, that will be neg and you can put any hiv fears to rest.

for hep c, get a final antibody test at 26 weeks.  In ALL probability, that will be neg.

i am suggesting that only for your 'peace of mind.'  Your 11 weeks neg puts you on third base and headed for home.

let us know how this turns out.

Do you have any symptoms of hepatitis?  light color stool/dark color urine/stomach or joint pain etc.  probably not.
I had my hiv test done at 12 weeks and it came back negative so thats behind me.Since i live in canada all the test are for free so i might as well take it at 13 weeks and try to steal home.Do you know in percentage how accurate the test are after 13 weeks as you say most test positive at 50 days.Also why is the window period all the way at 6 months if most if not all test at 3 months.Also what is your personal experience with hep c since you know much about it.
thanks for all ur help
as for symptoms nothing great appatite and great bowel movments
The vast majority, probably >90% will be pos at 3 months.  The outer limit of 6 months is for the VERY few who have a weak immune system and don't produce enough antibodies at 3 months.

Antibody tests are always more reliable as the number of days increase.

One thing you could do now is ask the person you shared the needle with to be tested for hep c.  If he is neg three months after and you have an eleven week neg, then the chance that you will test pos now are so remote it stretches the limits of mathematics.

Your 12 week neg for Hiv is VERY reliable.  Put that one to rest.

i am glad all your tests are neg.  Use this as a learning experience.

If you want to test before 6 months, go for a 125 day test.  That will surely be neg as well and then you can relax until 6 months.  I would be shocked if you tested pos now.
My personal experience with hepc is a friend who has it.  She had a WILD past and got it from IDU.  Sad.

I had a one night stand with a pros a few years ago and was worried sick I had Hiv or hep c but fortunately everything was neg.  i was scared though for a long time.  The worry is terrible.  Plus, i felt ashamed for what i did.

i did not know that Hep c is not considered a STD but is transmitted mainly by intravenous drug use and blood transfusion.
I just had a regular blood test and my liver enzymes are all in perfect range am still waiting on my hep c results.If i had hep c by now would my liver enzymes be off since i would be in the acute phase????
You are VERY close to becoming a 'worried well.'  And believe me, i know one when i see one because I was a 'worried well.'  It took me a long time to get past that.

The chance that you are pos for hep c or hiv are so remote that there probably are not enough zeroes on a calculator.  maybe 1 in several million.

PLEASE stop worrying and testing.  You will make yourself sick.
Thanks for the encouragement i wish i knew for sure so i could stop worrying.Is my test after 11 weeks that realible or my blood test that i just had now.What makes you say that odds of me having it are that slim.
thanks for all ur support
What makes you say that my odd are that small of having hep c by now is the 11 week test that reliable or my recent blood test that shows normal liver enzymes.I wouldnt say that my odds are that small but i am a worried well so if you can elaborate your explonation it would help out a lot
It is a combination of both.  'Normal' Alt/Ast (what was the reading, by the way, if i may ask) and an 11 week neg for antibody means you are in VERY safe territory.

If I may make a suggestion.  By now you are probably at the 100 day mark, right?

If you can get a free test, go in for an antibody test.  I have NO doubt it will be neg.  Then PLEASE stop worrying and get on with life.

If you cannot shake your doubt, talk to a therapist or psychiatrist.  You are close to becoming a 'worried well.'
Someone with acute hepatitis will have an Alt/Ast level in the 100's if not 1,000's.  Chronic hepatitis will show an Alt/Ast level in the 80's or 90's or low 100's.

Do you have jaundice (yellow skin and eyes)/joint pain/abdominal pain/dark urine/light color stool?  I am sure you can answer NO to all.

More proof you are neg.
am waiting on the results of the 100 day test for hep c. my only concern that i might have it are soars or spots that i have been appering on my legs and arms for some quite time i was wondering if this could be a symptom of hep c.
?
You are officially a 'worried well.'  You will probably get  your antibody test result today or tomorrow.  I'll bet you $50.  I say neg.

Is there any way you could ask your partner to be tested?  
No unfortuntly i dont have a chance for that person to be tested but am just worried about these spots i been having on my legs and arms for a while now is there any evidence that could be a symptom of hep c.They look like round small chances that bleed when scached.
Thanks for all ur help jakied
What is the result of your 100 day test?  I bet you $50 it is neg.

Let me know.
I should be getting my results this week.I was just wondering if theres any other blood bourn diseases i should be worried about when sharing needles?
These sores or chances really getting me worried i was wondering if thats a symptom of anything
Besides the hcv and hiv, you already tested for, there is also hbv (hep B). I don't think there are any others, but I might be wrong.

All the best,

Marcia
Sharing needles to inject drugs is 'russian roulette' by another name.

STOP sharing needles, or better yet, stop using illegal drugs.  You are

playing with fire and will get burned.
I just got back my 100 day test and they are negative i have decided to move on with this and learn a very important lesson. I figure if am negative at 100 days and all my other blood test are fine theres a very small chance of me having hep c.I would like to thank to Jakied for all the great support and knowlage.
Everyone makes mistakes.  The tragedy is not learning from them.  Please, please don't share needles any more.  Or better yet, stop using drugs.  Go into rehab if necessary.

The Cdc says most intravenous drug users will be Hiv + or Hcv + within

5 years.

There is not a small chance you have Hcv.  there is NO chance now.