Hepatitis C Community
hep c treatment

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

hep c treatment

Can a person who already has sirrohis take the tx for hep c? how long does it take? Can you get temperary disability while going through tx? Thank You
Can a person who already has cirrhosis take the tx for hep c?
- Most of the time yes. Although your odds of SVR are lower than others who don't have cirrhosis.
- Yes, unless your cirrhosis is decompensated that our doctor believes that your liver may not be able to handle the treatment.
Bottom line - Get known by a transplant center. Find a Hepatologist who treats patients with cirrhosis if possible, as you have special needs. Prepare and learn about transplants. If all goes bad and treatment doesn't work it is the only thing that will keep us alive if our liver fails.

How long does it take?
Depends on your genotype and your viral response to treatment.

Can you get temporary disability while going through tx?
Depending on where you work you maybe able to get F.M.L.A. or disability insurance. I would recommend learning about the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) in case you need it and disability as a backup. Many persons are able to continue functioning and working while on treatment. But should you need it FMLA is great because it allows you to take up to 90 days unpaid per year off of work for doctor visits, lab tests and sick days when you are too ill to work.

Go luck. I have cirrhosis too and treatment has not worked for me. Enjoy life every day as much as possible and try to stay hopeful and positive despite it all.

Remember, educate yourself so you can make the best choices for yourself and your future.

Hector
Hello. My name is mollyrae and I too have Hep C. I wanted you to know that you can now recieve Disability (SSDI) for Hep C. The Government is finally starting to realize that it is a dibilitating disease. PM me if you'd like. I can give you more info. if you need it.

Take care, Mollyrae
Yes, I know a person now on tx and he is cirrohotic.  He was actually on a transplant list and most likely still is however, his bloods have stabilized for the last two years so his doctor advised him to tx.  I think he may be txing for longer than 48 weeks because he didn't clear before week 12.  That's really all I know about it.  God Bless
Hi, I have cirrhosis and treated successfully with SOC. Although cirrhotics are harder to clear , it is possible.  First and foremost you should be followed closely by a good hepatologist.  I did extended tx, and have been svr for 2 yrs now. I do not have decompensated cirrhosis and only minimal varices. I have spoken with people who are decompensated and treated successfully . I do urge you to find a GOOD reputable hepatologist who will follow  u closely.   Good Luck.