Hepatitis C Community
hep c

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

hep c

what test tells me the stage im in? I have hep c over 30 years,   never had treatment...but now having symptoms and need to know what test tell me the stage>
i had to have a liver biopsy to find out what stage my liver was in.  now sure about any tests?  belle
A liver biopsy will tell you what fibrosis stage you have. Liver fibrosis is the amount of liver damage that you have.

If you have had Hep C for 30 years and have never been treated, it would be wise to see a hepatologist (liver doctor) and have him/her manage your care, especially if you are having symptoms.

The hepatologist will run a number of labs on you (blood tests) to get a baseline of your lab and see if your lab is normal. He/she may also do an ultrasound or other tests. Then usually he/she will do a liver biopsy to determine the amount of liver damage you have.

If you are 62 and having symptoms, and if you are thinking about doing treatment, a hepatologist would be your best choice for managing your care and managing your treatment.

(For the record ..... Many of us are in our 60s and are doing treatment, have recently finished treatment, or are preparing for treatment.)
as others have said...first a liver biopsy and blood work to find out what stage/grade....what geno type....then after you get that info i would come back here and post with more info.....you may want to wait a little for the new oral drugs or you may chose to tx now as many of us have....don't drink alcohol......i wonder are you really tired? before tx i needed naps....now post tx and svr i don't....good luck......billy
thank you
thank you
i stoped alcohol completely ten years ago,   had bleeding esophogius 3 years ago , then stopped smoking,  not im not real tired.. but i am itchie, and have headaches,,,,    ear pain,   and joint pain.....  ....waiting for my geno type...  thank you
your cbc and geno type is a early step but also a biopsy soon...viral load doesn't seem to mean as much....its whats your liver damage if any....
If you had a bleeding esophagus, that "could" mean you have esophageal varices. If you do have esophageal varices then you definitely need to be seen by a hepatologist who is affiliated with a large medical center/transplant center.

I say "could" be esophageal varices because potentially the esophagus could bleed from other causes, but people with advanced liver disease can get esophageal varices and espohageal bleeding. Your liver biopsy will tell you your stage. But it would be a good idea to have a competent hepatologist as your doctor. If you do have advanced liver disease, you will need to be managed by a competent and knowledgeable hepatologist who is affiliated with a large medical center/liver transplant center.

Best of luck in the future.