Hepatitis C Community
hepatitis C relation to shingles

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

hepatitis C relation to shingles

once again i find myself in a medical mud bath.  is there any relation between 32 yrs of hep c and recurring shingles
No. Herpes (shingles and chicken pox) is another RNA virus in the same family as Hep C but they are no more related than that.  Don't affect the body in the same way or have the same activity in the cells.  Being 'run down' can activate shingles so may be some relationship there but I doubt it.  Did you know there is a vaccine now for shingles?  Not generally given before age 60 but I recall reading that it might lessen the length of shingles episodes in those who already get it.  I think any doctor can order the vaccine.
I agree that there’s no direct connection with HCV and shingles; at least to my knowledge. However, Newleaf touched on something; long term immune system surveillance is a little studied phenomena.  It could be that having an immune response in high gear for many years affects things like shingles activation? Good question for an immunologist…

Bill
thanks for the answer.  wish they were as easy to get from the sea of drs i seem to be floating in.  i think my lowered immune system is part of the reason for this brutal virus.  that and stress it's like the virus feeds itself.  i am waiting for the syptoms (symptoms) to subside and then i am definetly getting the vaccine.  i would advise anyone who ever had the chicken pox to do the same.  i had no idea the level of pain associated with the shingles.  i don't know if it varies according to where on your body they appear, but i'm here to tell you on your face and scalp it is excruciating.  thanks again for yours and everyones helpful comments..  ouch cece