Hepatitis C Community
hepatitis C relation to shingles

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

hepatitis C relation to shingles

once again i find myself in a medical mud bath.  is there any relation between 32 yrs of hep c and recurring shingles
No. Herpes (shingles and chicken pox) is another RNA virus in the same family as Hep C but they are no more related than that.  Don't affect the body in the same way or have the same activity in the cells.  Being 'run down' can activate shingles so may be some relationship there but I doubt it.  Did you know there is a vaccine now for shingles?  Not generally given before age 60 but I recall reading that it might lessen the length of shingles episodes in those who already get it.  I think any doctor can order the vaccine.
I agree that there’s no direct connection with HCV and shingles; at least to my knowledge. However, Newleaf touched on something; long term immune system surveillance is a little studied phenomena.  It could be that having an immune response in high gear for many years affects things like shingles activation? Good question for an immunologist…

Bill
thanks for the answer.  wish they were as easy to get from the sea of drs i seem to be floating in.  i think my lowered immune system is part of the reason for this brutal virus.  that and stress it's like the virus feeds itself.  i am waiting for the syptoms (symptoms) to subside and then i am definetly getting the vaccine.  i would advise anyone who ever had the chicken pox to do the same.  i had no idea the level of pain associated with the shingles.  i don't know if it varies according to where on your body they appear, but i'm here to tell you on your face and scalp it is excruciating.  thanks again for yours and everyones helpful comments..  ouch cece
The stats say that 93 out of 100 peeps that have hcv and shingles will die swiftly and relentlessly.  What do you have to say about that AND do you know how the peeps that have survived, survived?  I  have had hcv for 36 years now, genotype 2 and keep acyclovir on me at all times.  I clear my pee with 2 tblsp cherry juice concentrate with a glass of water.  I take SAMe, 600 mg./day with warm milk in the morning to assimilate vitamins and nutrients in foods and put a packet of Power Aid with 1,200 vit c, almost 500 Thiamine, calcium, magnesium, zinc and folate in my  bicycle water container.  Tried different diets but it appears that serious deficiencies develop by eliminating foods.  I just mix it up, taking care not to do eat too much of any thing.  I am 56 years old with g6pdd as well.  AnyLabTest, doctor on staff, $50.  G6pdd provides some protection for brain and heart.  Some people with Hep C just come up with it but mine may be hereditary.  This is probably too much info!
"The stats say that 93 out of 100 peeps that have hcv and shingles will die swiftly and relentlessly."
__________________________________

Please provide a link to where you obtained that information.

Here is an answer to the original post on this thread AND relationship between the two that are viruses.   Both can lay dormant for years. Both effect the immune system.  But having both at the same time doesn't mean you have a 93% change of a swift and relentless death.  

http://www.epidemic.org/theFacts/viruses/strategiesToBeatTheHost/
1 you have commented to a 6 years old post

2 your stament "The stats say that 93 out of 100 peeps that have hcv and shingles will die swiftly and relentlessly." is the most incorrect statement I have ever seem and entirely un necessary and frightning based on no evidence.

3 Go see a doctor and get treated with the new generation meds and get cured instead on goofing around wasting your time and money on stuff that has no effect on the virus

4 Hep c is not heriditary it is a viral infection like the measels or HIV some where in your life you contracted Hep c

5 Read a book