hepatitis c & oral sex
First, let me apologize in advance as I am sure this question has been asked over & over & over again.  I have found this website to be a wonderful resource, and am excited to have finally created an account and have the opportunity to be a part of this.

I am currently in a relationship, that has recently become quite serious.  He is positive for Hepatitis C and I am not.  I do however, have HSV type 2.  Now, I am well aware of the risks that are associated with engaging in unprotected sex, especially when I am undergoing an outbreak.  I also realize the risk we both purpose to each other.  The question I have is in regards to oral sex.  Me performing oral sex to him.  This is something I want to do quite badly, and I would very much prefer NOT to utilize protection.  I have read many things regarding the trace of HCV (viral load) in semen.  And how all findings have been inconclusive regarding the transmission of HCV via oral sex and the ingesting of semen.

I was just hoping that someone could possibly share their experiences, perhaps in a long term monogamous relationship and/or marriage.  My partner is in no way pressuring me, this is just something that I have wanted to do for a while, but because I am a single mother; I have been too scared even if the possibility of transmission is extremely low.

Thank you so very much for taking the time in reading my post, and I TRULY look forward to any and all responses.
I am sorry; I believe I posted this in the wrong forum.  I am sooo very sorry!!!!
my best friend has been married for over 30 yrs. he has hep c, she does not, but she ALWAYS uses a condom. thats all i know. the scientists can't give us a definite answer
Put the words oral sex in the search feature and you'll be able to read for hours and hours.
Since its blood to blood i wouldn't think there would be any risk so why worry about it.

Though i would like to here from the women here on their thoughts and how they handle this, plus their thoughts on ingesting semen, would it be of concern?.......... Nygirl? Others?
"Put the words oral sex in the search feature and you'll be able to read for hours and hours."

A long hoilday weekend Deb???         :)
>This is something I want to do quite badly

if the  job  is worth doing it's worth doing well... nevertheless it's heartwarming to see such devotion to an upstanding goal.  

No need to apologize, as nygirl points out this forum is likely the world's premier source of information on the subject. In fact one of our members recently completed an in-depth historical analysis of spitting vs swallowing. He's likely busy with his research at the moment  but hopefully will stop along shortly to offer advice.

BTW published accounts identifying trace amounts of HCV RNA in semen, blood, sweat, and tears are relatively common. Notwithstanding these results bodily fluids as a means of HCV transmission remain speculative (unlike HBV)  

The  CDC does not advise use of condoms in  a long term monogamous relationship and many here (myself included) have had unprotected sex with a partner for decades with no transmission.
got carried away there - in  "blood sweat and tears" blood should *not* be on the list of innocuous bodily fluids. Blood will easily transmit the virus and the amount of virus it carries is significant - not trace.
You said a mouthful.  But, I'm reminded of a few thoughts.  The first is that a bad day of golf is better than a good day of work.  The other is Bacalls line to Bogie in "To Have And Have Not"  (might take a bit of research)
Give this crowd a microphone and they're going to use it. You can count on that.  

"...share their experiences, perhaps in a long term monogamous relationship and/or marriage."  

I'm have trouble processing that portion of the question.  Why do we see references to oral sex and marriage in the same paragraph?  Warning Will Smith! That does not compute.
I have a friend who tried to do oral sex on her guy and he was wearing a condom.  She said the condom made a real bad squeaking noise against the back of her throat that made them both laugh so much it ruined the moment.

It sure made me laugh when she told me.

LOL ...  made me laugh when you told us
Not having the best day here, but you definitely made me laugh out loud on that one!
Is my question nonsense?  It seems that everyone is pretty straight forward & open, so I feel comfortable in being so.  I LOVE to give oral men pleasures, and I prefer to swallow.  But this poses a serious concern for me.  Am I being childish about this?  I have tried to do research, I have even spoken to my PCP, and it seems that there is a risk, low but a risk nonetheless.  Thats why I was hoping there would be someone that has been in this exact predicament.

I really am not trying to be funny, or naive.  I am just torn.  Oral sex with a condom just seems weird, and that may be a childish statement; I don’t know.  Its just I have been sexually active with this guy for quite awhile, and although I REALLY want to “go down” (which I have; just haven’t finished the ‘job’; no pun intended) its getting a little old…not to mentioned disappointing for both of us.  
Thanks for a much needed LOL!
Being that this is a sensative issue, I can honestly say that I've never been a fan of latex.
Thanks all, still LOL here!
"...how all findings have been inconclusive regarding the transmission of HCV via oral sex and the ingesting of semen..."

Translation:  can't make conclusions if you can't find any evidence.

"... I am just torn..."
Your guy's got a dangerous tool there, eh?

ellen1960:
Too funny. Thanks for the laugh.
my wifes been getting torn for 15 years before i found out i had it,and she doesnt.for what thats worth
its definitely worth something. Thanks.

to eureka254:

"... I am just torn..."

Bad choice of words on my part; sorry.

Couldn't resist :).
Seriously, though, my husband and I have 'done it all' and then some in 25 years together, and he was almost surely hcv positive the whole time, and I'm still hcv negative.  
Not a silly question at all.  That's just the only person I know who ever tried that and you asked what other people experienced.  They started to hear a rythmic squeeka squeeka sound and she paused to see what it was.  Silence.  She began again and there it was.  Squeeka squeeka squeeka.  Then she got the giggles.  Then he got the giggles.  I think everyone she told this to also got the giggles.

I don't want you to think I'm laughing at you.  That's not what I intended.
“This is something I want to do quite badly”
Get married, that should kill the urge. It seems to be the first thing to go.
My advice to him is put it in the pre-nup.

Ricky...once married I think it"s the squeak that they can"t stand
I took a human sexuality class in college and they suggested using plastic wrap, or saran wrap for safe oral sex instead of condoms.  It is more flexible, lighter weight, and can be used on male or female comfortably. The experience is said to be much more sensual.  Just a tip
The experience is said to be much more sensual.

No doubt. Even better than foil, possibly.
----------------------------------------------------------------

Good one R G,lass.
Thank you for your responses.  I appreciate everyone’s posts; especially the saran wrap one ;)  And by the way, as far as the marriage thing; I was married for 12 years, and nope...never lost the urge to perform. Well at least up until year 11.

Thanks again, I feel a little better about things be able to converse with individuals and not just reading a bunch of inconclusive research studies.  I truly appreciate everyone’s insight & humor.  :)

I will be seeing him this weekend; I'll let you know how it goes ;)
Hope you both have a wonderful weekend.  Remember, be careful, no biting and no blood :)
Were expecting a full report.
Don't choke.
Yes...I'd like to hear how that clingwrap thing works out.  Seems either it's going to come off or you're not doing it right.  However, if it works, might give a whole new market for Glad Wrap and a whole new meaning to "the man from Glad".
I can't help but wonder if it could be dangerous if you wrapped it too tight. Don't see the 'sensuous' appeal myself, but maybe some like the wrap because it has the see-thru thing going.  All the same, in my mind's ear I'm still hearing the 'squeaka, squeaka' ...
I'd be concerned that all the effort to wrap it up well enough would be a bit....deflating.  
Now I am worried because we haven’t heard from her all weekend. What if the Saran Wrap came off and got lodged in her throat? I imagine her face turning Purple would ruin the mood.
I'm anxiously awaiting the full update.  ya know, the bl*w by bl*w.   Hope everything came out ok.
Sorry for the delay; my life is a bit crazy, and I am a bit all over the place these days.  Well, the weekend "came" & went; no pun intended. ;) I did what I set out to do! When I have a mission; I focus & follow it through upon completion!! We both got caught up in the day, and not only did I give him one of the best BJs of his life, we also had one round of unprotected sex (out of 4 rounds).  Now I am fine with this; I have crazy feelings for this guy, which is scaring the crap out of me.  I feel like a little kid, but I also feel like I am not making the most sound decisions either.  There is an element to this story that makes it a little less romantic and little more dysfunctional.  We met each other in a rehab center back in January.  He has been struggling with his heroin addiction for almost a decade, and I was there to detox off of morphine; due to chronic back pain; that I have been dealing with for 5 years.  After having this amazing weekend together; I took a step back, pulled my head out of the clouds and tried to look at the reality of this situation.  I don’t regret what I have done; I can’t change it so why torture myself with regret; I am just trying to weigh everything out.  I have a 5 yrs. old son, who is my world; my everything.  I only see this guy on the weekends where I am not with my son, but I am feeling that maybe getting all wrapped up in someone with so many uncertainties is not putting my son’s best interests first.  I mean; I have no intentions of introducing the two of them for years down the road, if ever, but am I jeopardizing my own wellbeing, and making unhealthy choices when I need to be a good & healthy mother for my son?  This probably doesn’t even make sense; since I am at work and trying to do 20 different things all at the same time.

I am SOOOOOO sorry.  All you gals & guys were waiting for the “juicy” details of my lust filled weekend, and also waiting to confirm the choking hazards of Reynolds wrap, and here I am treating this forum like my own person therapy session.  This is the other reason why I hadn’t posted, because I am so flipping confused right now...

Well...glad you were able to focus on the task at hand and that everything came out ok  :)

I won"t comment on your situation ,as this IS  an HCV forum.other than to say I hope you continue to make your son the first and most important priority in your life.

Best to you....

Will
This may also be a ridiculous question to ask; but by the end of the day, approaching the 4th round (unprotected) I noticed that we both seemed to develop a heat rash of sorts; around our groin areas.  There was no blood, it almost appeared to look like prickly heat.  Is this something I should even be giving a second thought?

Quick disclaimer: through all my surgeries, pain management & struggles with addiction (it was 3 yrs, not 5) ; I have been gainfully employed on a fulltime basis & have ALWAYS financially & emotionally provided for my son; he has & always will be my first & only priority...sorry I just needed to state that.

But back to my question; should I be concerned with sweaty rash on rash friction?  

And after giving it some thought; I really cannot imagine maintaining the mood while in the midst of sexual behavior attempting to sensually wrap a penis up in plastic wrap.  You know how clingy that stuff can be!! I think I might try it just for demonstration purposes.  I can return & give you a full report on that as well if you would like??!!
LOL boy Lisami you are generous to dedicate yourself to this project for us! Kudos to you :D

And dont worry I was quite a successful addict (boy if only they would pay you for that how great life would be ha!) and took care of my kids as well - nobody in here would even think any different, we might be very silly but as much as I can tell everyone in here is a good person and doesn't do any judging.  hell if they do we get rid of them  ;)

4 rounds huh boy I remember those days - vaguely very faintly but I remember. The good old times, the golden ages.

Well keep us updated we are obviuosly enjoying living vicariously through you (some of us like me anyways ;)
We joke around a lot in here but as was said by someone else, this IS  Hep C support forum and amidst all the joking we do, the information you came for was given.  Beyond that, your relationship and parenting issues are for another place other than here and not a whole lot to do with HCV - and if some want the "blow by blow" so to speak of your sexual adventures, they can send you a PM and ask and you're free to share all you want.

" I hope you continue to make your son the first and most important priority in your life. "

I can't really improve on that so the only thing I have to say is "ditto".

Best of luck sorting out your thoughts and emotions and good on you to be thinking of it from the perspective of what is best for your son.  Hold that thought.

Trish
I just wanted to say thank you, for all of your responses, your time, and insight.  I TRULY am grateful. Thank you again.
i struggled with heroin addiction for 12 years. I was on & off the street, in and out of jails, hospitals, & institutions. Heroin is a different type of animal. Even more so than morphine believe it or not. Now, for the first time in my adult life I have a year clean & sober. I commend you if you truly cared for your child & put him first all the time. I have a beautiful 6 yr. old daughter and I cannot say that I did right by her ALL the time. The nature of addiction makes this impossible as far as i'm concerned. I know this is a hep C forum, but I read your recent post about your heroin addict friend and I had to try to talk some sense into you. Bottom line: If he has used recently and/or doesn't have some type of strong 12 step recovery program which includes a sponsor, he will continue to use or relapse and you will be in for a world of hurt. Most addicts put one thing before all else in their worlds - before family, lovers, friends, and children - their addiction. I'm sorry to say that I think you are being very naive for being an addict yourself, or else you are too caught up in puppy love and lust to think clearly, because you seem like someone who normally conducts themselves with some measure of intelligence. You say your son never paid the price for your addiction in the past, well, if you continue this relationship with a heroin addict who has a nice penis but no recovery, you'll have to cross that off your "never did that" list. I know I may sound like a b%tch, or a pessimist, or anti "true love" or whatever, but the truth is, I am a realist. And I have the life experience to back it up. Do yourself a favor and go find yourself a nice boy from your church with a real job, some stability, and with a track record that proves he could someday be a positive male figure in your son's life. At least think about it. And if you don't, just remember that anonymous chic from the hep forum who tried to stop you from walking off the edge of a cliff, when everything crashes and burns around you and him. Hopefully your son has a play date that day.
Very well said leah. ;)
Excellent point Leah.  I might have cared for my kids but certainly - there was another thing that I did indeed put first. Yes indeed excellent point.

Dont forget the updates lisami ;)
it is possible to transmit via oral specially if theres an esophageal ulceration  

also heroin converts to morphine in the body

leah is right about your "relationship" if he is using he will drag you down long before you could pull him up

successful or functional addict is an oxymoron
Haven't checked in on the forum for some time now. Nice to see things haven't changed. Oral sex questions always make for the longest, and most interesting, threads. Still can't get of=ver the "squeeka, squeeka" comment - LOL! Thanks for the laughs. :-)
My Dr. Who has been treating HCV for 15 years told me she has NEVER seen a case of HCV being transmitted from sex in a monogamous relationship.  Also, the acids in your stomach would kill HCV.  So this makes me think u could probably swallow.
Okay, being the Debbie Downer here (waaah-waaah), my PCP told me that it can be transmitted via oral sex, & speculates that this must be how I was infected.  I had had 4 partners in 4 yrs (I'm gay) & only had had oral sex with these 4 peeps...had been tested for all the Heps 1.5 yrs before this (on account of getting A & B vaccination at the time).  I'm now almost 41 & have had no STD's in my life, & still don't think that I caught this from performing oral sex...but there you go.  It could just be I have a misinformed PCP (who's told me you need a biopsy for genotype, that clearing the virus will also clear antibodies, etc. etc.)  I know all the studies give statistics for heterosex sex (hehe) but I don't think there's much difference between hetero & homo when it comes to this specific type!?!?