Hepatitis C Community
hepatitis c strains

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

hepatitis c strains

I have recently discover on leaflet that hepetitis (hepatitis) c have different strains and they respond differently at the terapy.Why my doctor don't have mentioned nothing about it? between 2 weeks I have to start interferon terapy and i would like to know wich strains am.somebody can tell me about your experience with interferon ,I scare about it a lot.(Sorry the errors but I'm not English).Thank you.Ziffy1
Hi Ziffy--

There are six major 'genotypes', or strains of HCV. There is a blood test available to determine this, it is somehwat similar to the confirmaion test for HCV you haved probably received already. As you mentioned, the duration of therapy is determined by genotype, and some of the new drugs are genotype specific. Ask your doctor for the 'HCV genotype' blood test.

Good luck-

--Bill
Hi Ziffy--

Good luck-

--Bill
Thank you for the answerand advice  to request the genotype test that probabily I have already done as look very important .I still concerned about way my doctor have'nt talk with me about it!!! Anyway I wait to see the nurse and ask to her as 4 see the doctor  is not as easy as should be!maybe because I see him in hospital is better "private doctor"??okay  big hug ,thanks