Hepatitis C Community
hepatitis from using Cymbalta

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

hepatitis from using Cymbalta

I just had a blood test and the Dr. said it might be from the cymbalta that it is showing hep in the blood.  Is there any one out there that would know what kind I would get from that and then would it be contagious.   Thanks.....
Hepatitis  by definition means "inflammation  " and yes the use of the above drug was flagged for possible problems.(below). This is a Hepatitis C forum however and taking this drug and/or any other drug will not cause you to have the HCV as it is a blood transmitted virus..
Best..
Will

The FDA and Eli Lilly and Co. have broadened a warning about possible liver problems with Cymbalta, a drug used to treat depression and pain associated with diabetic peripheral neuropathy.

"Postmarketing reports of liver injury (including hepatitis and cholestatic jaundice) suggest that patients with pre-existing liver disease who take [Cymbalta] may have an increased risk for further liver damage," says the FDA.

Cymbalta's labeling previously noted possible liver problems. The label had warned that "Cymbalta should ordinarily not be prescribed to patients with substantial alcohol use." Now, that warning will read, "Cymbalta should ordinarily not be prescribed to patients with substantial alcohol use or evidence of chronic liver disease," according to a letter to doctors sent by Lilly, Cymbalta's maker.

"It is recommended that Cymbalta not be administered to patients with any [liver] insufficiency," says the FDA.
To add to what Will has told you, "itis" on the end of a word means "inflammation". So some drugs can cause hepatitis which just means inflammation of the liver. Hepatitis A, B, C, etc., are also hepatitis but are caused by a viral infection. Your kind of hepatitis is not contagious. Cymbalta should not be used by patients with any kind of hepatitis.
thank you so so much you both make me feel so much better... Thanks for your information.
thank you so much for making me feel better
I was wondering about using Lyrica. Does any one know if that is easier on the liver?
The ever present problem is most meds are filtered through the liver.
You could try asking your doctor about ones filtered through the kidneys but that's hard on your kidneys.

I'm a big believer in medicinal cannabis being less harmful than most of these synthetic drugs. It doesn't work for everyone or for everything.