Hepatitis C Community
hepatitis

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

hepatitis

I have just got some routine blood work back

MY AST {SGOT} 30

MY ALT {SGPT} 77

Should I be very concerned about hep a, b ,c plz e-mail at ***@****
only you would know that, alt looks like to many last calls to me
genedog I dont drink just a nick name
I had routine blood work done..

MY AST {SGOT} 30

MY ALT {SGPT} 77

I do not share needles or do drugs I have no tatooes? I do not drink. Is a ALT of 77 a sign of something major wrong with my liver? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
77 is not considered real high but its elevated for some reason and you definitely need to check it out.  Have you been on any medications lately that could make it rise?  More then likely its not hep c,,,have you ever had a blood transfusion before 92,,,I'm sure your dr will do another test in a few weeks and then you do need to go through the check list of all things that could possibly make it elevate,,,Best of Luck,,
honey thanx I feel a little better he is still going to do a hepatitis panel a,,b,,c and ultra sound. But you personally do not think 77 alt is high enough for hep c?
Last year,,,my husbands enzymes were way up and he was tested positive and of course they said,,,chances of your wife having is nil but she needs to be tested...Well,,,lol  Here I am with nil chances,,Just finished tx 10 days ago of 1 year and hoping for total clearance of it!
see back one
how did you find out? then if alt was normal

Hello & Welcome here,

If I were in your shoes I would make an appt to a gastro doc for additional testings. You certainly need further evaluations on your liver status & no one here can provide you with conclusive answers since this is a patient-to-patient forum only.
Only a positive result to a specific assay called HCV by PCR test would be conclude your HCV status. I'm sure other assay are available for HAV & HBV testings.
Good luck & Pls get tested,

Ben
No,,,I didn't say it was not high enough to have hep c,,,my alt has always been totally normal and I have it.  I was just saying that 77 is not real high and I have seen alot higher,,For peace of mind,,,,I'm glad your dr is running all the hep panels and doing the ultra sound...
I am slowly learning that the ALT / AST scores can't be used to determine the seriousness of illness or degree of liver damage.  In my opinion, ALT and AST levels are mostly "caution flags" that you need to be checked out, which sounds like you are doing so you are good so far.  

I've seen folks on here (like above) with perfectly normal enzyme levels that have severe liver damage.  Then on the other hand ... As far as 77 being high ... I myself have been over 2500 once and over 1000 many times ... AND ... I do NOT have Hep C !  So ... Don't panic.  
(Yes, I do have a liver disease so I do have liver problems, but it's not always Hep C.  (Thank the good Lord!)).  

Good luck on your testing and God Bless.  Be sure and let us know your results.

Pattie