Hepatitis C Community
hepc and pregnancy

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

hepc and pregnancy

Hello, I just found out I'm preggers. And debating weather or not I should even tell my gyno that I'm hepc positive. ..beings this is my fourth pregnancy and went threw my other three blissfully unaware. .that I even had hepc.my last baby was born in 2007 and I was diagnosed in 2010!  I'm sure I've had this disease form birth and don't want to be judged by my gyno or looked at like a druggie. .no offense to anyone that might have gotten hepc that way , its. Just not me ! And there is a stereotype that comes with the disease....My three children are healthy and. I get the baby tested after. It's born to make sure. It's healthy too but I will be having a c-section which is. Virtually no risk of the baby getting hepc this way! I just don't see the significe of sayin anything about it to my gyno? I have yet to take treatment for hepc. So there's no risk there's as far as side effects from those toxic drugs! Am I wrong here?
You can't take interferon while pregnant, so your therapy options while pregnant are probably limited to clinical trials, not advisable even if they would take you.

You share your blood with your fetus, hep c is transmitted thru blood.

Hiding info from your doctor has no benefit and could be a fatal mistake.
Sorry to disagree CoffeeLvr -  but mothers and their unborn children don't share the same blood system. They are completely separate. That's why mother's rarely transmit HepC to their babies. I had two healthy, HepC-free babies - and one was through a C-section.

All the same sklyer411, I would tell my doctor.  

If for no other reason than your medical team should know so they can take the proper precautions. I mean I know they are all supposed to glove up, etc., but I've had public health nurses take some chances I was very uncomfortable with even when they knew I had HepC.

rk
In my opinion I believe you should tell your doctor so they can take all precautions for you and your baby.  It really doesn't matter what they think of you, the goal is that have a healthy baby, no matter what.  Oh, and Skyler?  CONGRATULATIONS!
   My Doctor told me that the risk is the same for the baby, wether it is a normal birth, or a C-section.
   But ten yrs ago my High Risk O.B. also thought a C-section would be safer. I had already had 3 other children, thru natural child-birth, and the C-section really put a stress on my body.

Yes I suppose I will have to tell my gyno and come to think of it...probably is in my records now anyway:-/..we have to play the hand we're delt in life. ..my only goal is to have a healthy baby right now! Thank you all for your responses. I don't post on here that much anymore but I do check in from time to time. Thank you stormy for the congrats :-).wishing you all Svr <3