Hepatitis C Community
heptis c

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

heptis c

I have a very sweet boyfriend but he has heptis C,he does some work for me and gets cuts on his hands he puts band aids on but looks kinda like it bleeds threw them..is my family at risk touching sinks door knobs and commod handels and this of sort..
Tags: Work
Hepatitis C is only transmitted blood to blood, so this isn't a serious risk. Seeing a slight stain through the bandaid isn't likely to leave blood on other surfaces, and even if you did directly touch his blood it would only be a risk if you had an open sore and it could get in contact with your blood. To err on the side of caution is a good idea so he should be careful about keeping any bleeding contained, but its really very rare for Hepatitis C to be passed from one family member to another if they aren't sharing needles. I had Hepatitis C for 29 years (and was unaware of it for 12 of those years, so I wasn't even trying to be careful then) and my husband never caught it from me. Enjoy the kindness of your boyfriend!
Hello Ceanothus, had given you excellent advice. I just wanted to chime in and say that I had Hep C for 30 years and no one in my family got it.  I am married and have two sons. My Mom took care of me after an operation and she did not catch the HCV from me.
We were not careful either, we did not know I had it.
As Cean said, enjoy your boyfriend.
Yes it is possible especially if cutting himself often. If someone with HVC isn't going to take extra precaution so they don't "bleed threw" band aides, ect then you need to tell him.
I agree with the others about not speading to family members after 20-30 years. But if someone with HCV is bleeding regularly it will increase the chances some. Probably still low risk but with the severity of this disease better safe then sorry.