Hepatitis C Community
high MCV with low MCHC
About This Community:

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

high MCV with low MCHC

guys this one particular blood lab keeps increasing my MCV over time, and decreasing my MCHC.  It started even before i started combo treatment.

last recorded values last week were MCV at 101 femoliters(or whatever the scale is), and MCHC at 30.2%

does anybody have any experience with high MCVs and low MCHCs?

i have read that high MCV can occur with people in cirrhosis.
Related Discussions
5 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
sorry that was MCV 100.1
Blank
sorry that was MCV 100.1

normal is maximum 96 i think.
Blank
96938_tn?1189803458
Where did you 'read that high MCV can occur with people in cirrhosis'
Looking at cbc reports I see that they fluctuate a bit but generally reach a fairly consistent level with some rising and falling.  It's the riba at work and it's affecting your red blood celss - which it's supposed to do.  I thought you said your doc ruled out cirrhosis?
Blank
flguy thats not the point.  i think i dont have cirrhosis, but just that i read this MCV and cirrhosis, or hepatic link.

i had this MCV and MCHC trend a month before starting treatment.  interestingly, it coincides with the time i took those herbs, including Chicorium intybus and solanum nigrum.

but it seems to be continuing after stopping the herbs.

in another study on the web, atheletes were found to have high MCV and low MCHC.  intersetingly, i did regular jogging during that time too. (that is, 1-2 months before starting combo treatment).  

high MCV with low MCHC is a pretty rare condition to have though, because ususally you have high MCV with normal MCHC with B12 deficiency, and low MCHC and low MCV with iron deficiency.

or maybe its just a lab error? another lab doesnt show this.
Blank
My mcv fluctuates slightly.  a month before i knew i had hep, the holistic doc said take more of the b12. if i remeber correctly she said that the high mcv meant my cells were large. But i hve noticed that when people would post their labs on forum their numbers would be abnormal also. i too believe it is hep c connected, but doesn't necessarily mean cirohsis. i don't have cirrohis and last lab my mcv was a point high.

how has the tx been lately? fatigue and such? hope you're feeling well.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Hepatitis C Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...