Hepatitis C Community
high absolute neutrophils?

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

high absolute neutrophils?

Hey everyone- I noticed a post about neutropenia (Iprobably misspelled it) and didn't wanna hijack that thread, but I'm wondering... what does a high (5.7 with normal range being 2.2-4.8) absolute neutrophil count mean? Is it the opposite of neutropenia? And does it have to do with the body fighting infection? My hubby has normal WBC but some out of range things in his differential and the high neutrophils in his absolute count. I'm curious about this because he has had some kind of respitory infection (nothing to do w/ hep c I know), and one his last blood work his platelets were actually normal- up to 165 from 99 a few months ago!! I hate to look a gift horse in the mouth, but I'm wondering if his body is struggling with an infection- or if the hep c is somehow under attack and it's throwing his blood counts off a bit. Any thoughts? You guys (and ladies!) all know so much about everything else, I figured I'd throw this out there. Thanks! -Dee- Ps- he's not on tx.
I'm not a  doctor, but I experienced both low and then elevated ANC's (neutrophils) during my treatment. The IFN normally depresses the ANC's, as it did with me (and continues to in my 30th week of treatment). But at one point I had a bad drug allergy, and it caused my low ANC's to shoot way up. This same thing happened to PDS here too, and she experienced the same drug rash that I did. According to my doctor, immune responses to allergies and infections can result in increased ANC's. So to my layman's knowledge, if your husband's ANCs are slightly above normal range and he has an infection of some sort (and is not taking IFN), then to my knowledge that wouldn't be unusual or remarkable in a bad way.

But, obviously his doctor should be the one to make the call. Just relating my patient experiences - take care
See:

http://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/differential/test.html
Neutrophils are the main infection fighting white blood cell so there would be an increase when you are fighting infection.

"Neutrophil: A type of white blood cell, specifically a form of granulocyte, filled with neutrally-staining granules, tiny sacs of enzymes that help the cell to kill and digest microorganisms it has engulfed by phagocytosis. The mature neutrophil has a segmented nucleus (it is called a seg or poly) while the immature neutrophil has band-shape nucleus (it is called a band). The neutrophil has a lifespan of about 3 days.

Neutrophilia, an increased proportion of neutrophils in the blood, is a common finding with acute bacterial infections."

Is he under the care of a doctor for the respitory infection? I would think that is why his wbc is high.

Hep C patients can be prone to infections, I'd get him checked out if you haven't already, he might need some antibiotics.
Hi- Yes my husband is going to see a pulmonary specialist tomorrow, and his gastro for his hep c in April. I just found out recently that having hep c does mean that our immune systems are compromised- that could be why my husband ended up with pleurisy instead of just a cold. He also goes to visit his mom in a nursing home frequently, and it seems that everything we know that goes there has come down with bronchitis or pneumonia. Scary! Thank you for your concern- it's strange, I was SO stressed over finding out what shape his liver is in, and now with all this frightening respiratory stuff I'm actually pretty calm about his liver! Life works in mysterious ways. I'll keep ya posted. -Dee
Thank you for that link- I'm gonna check it out right after I write these posts. I really appreciate your help! -Dee
Thanks to both of you for the info- it certainly makes sense! I've suspected all along that the elevated neutrophils had to due w/ infection, it's good to know for sure. My hubby's PCP is such an idiot, I feel like I'm always trying to diagnose everything myself. He claims if there is no obvious fever, there can be no infection, and thus is acting like my husband has some mysterious hidden illness when what he really has/had is pleurisy with a plueral effusion. Sorry, I'm just off topic and raving now.
  But anyway, that is good to know. i've never paid much attention to the different white blood cells before. I'm so grateful that I have all of you to turn to!!! -Dee
You might want to look into some immune system supplements and nutrients to add his daily routine. Our livers get overworked with Hep C and it can fall down on the job when it comes to a zillion different functions in our bodies. It can't absorb and process like it should, it can use some support!
Diet is important, no processed or refined foods, no saturated fats, fast food, you know the drill. I take a daily dose of "green defense" along with a variety of immune support supplements that seem to have helped a noticeable amount.
Since it will be awhile before he sees the liver doc and makes a decision about treatment, maybe you can try some of the supplements out there, see if it helps.I feel the nurtitional support of green defense and protein powder really helped me. I also take a whole handful of other things, but those daily nutrient boosters I saw the most results from. I haven't had an infection since.

I hope he feels better soon! He's lucky to have you
Hi- I haven't been on here in days- justnoticed your reply. Thank you for saying my hubby is lucky to have me- sometimes all my worrying drives him crazy so I should remind him of that- lol. I have actually become much more conscious of our diet, esp eating lotsa fruits & veggies and cutting back on fat/animal protiens- thanks to this site and reading your posts on the importance of eating right! I also take milk thistle, alpha lapoic acid and selenium daily- when I remember. I finally got my husband to take some yesterday but he's worried that he shouldn't start any new supplement until he's all better from the pleurisy. I think he's right- with our luck he'll have some bizarre reaction and it'll be all my fault! The poor thing has one more test to go- a CT scan- and finally the guessing game should be over, His pulmonary specialist says it seems like a benign pleural effusion- thank GOD!!- but I won't really relax til we get the tests all back. Thanks for your reply- hope all is going well with you!-Dee