Aa
A
A
Close
high alt and ast
I recently had a blood test that deitermind my alt at 248 and my ast is 158. I was made aware thatthis is extremely high for my age, and was asked if I was a drinker. I have abused alchol for about 10 yrs, pretty evey zand wonder if they would ave tested for hep b and c as well. Do they automatically do that or will they when I go back in two wks to test again?
Cancel
7 Answers
Page 1 of 1
Why did your doctor test you to begin with?  If you are drinking every day, enzymes will be elevated.   If they tested for hep b and hep c they would have given you the results with your enzyme levels I would think.

Those numbers are high, and you can't continually have high numbers because that means your liver cells are dying and scarring or fibrosis does occur.  Inquire with you doctor exactly what he tested your for and if they didn't do a hep panel, have one done.

Trinity
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
thanks I dont think they did. But I was felling dizzy and fatigued and had hig blood preasure. I work in health care and had a full physical a yr ago and no mention of hep. I go ack in two weeks to see if the levels have went down and have stop the drinking.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
is atl at 248 and ast at 158 high enough to indicate hep?
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
87972 tn?1322664839
And request copies of past and future test results; someone here will be happy to help interpret if you like. Other drugs, including some oral diabetes meds can increase liver enzymes. As Trinity mentioned, yours are significantly elevated; you’ve hopped the up somehow…

It’s best to refrain from future alcohol use; at least until this has been resolved… viral hepatitis and booze aren’t good bedfellows.

Take care, and good luck—

Bill
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
87972 tn?1322664839
Yes; chronic Hep C typically presents with liver enzymes around 10 x normal; this is approximately your current range. However, while these are suggestive of viral hepatitis, they aren’t necessarily predictive of it.

Do you administer injections, or are you subject to other biohazards?

Good luck—

Bill

Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
no, niether. thanks for your help. I will be back to take the test again in two wks. Until then they suggest no drinking to see if it went down.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
87972 tn?1322664839
That sounds like a reasonable course of action. Again, if you like, ask for copies of test results, and we’ll try to help interpret.

Bill
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Do you know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Answer
Post Answer
A
A
Recent Activity
406584 tn?1399591666
Blank
10356 commented on Dee1956's status
4 hrs ago
317787 tn?1473362051
Blank