high ast(sgot)
HUH
I just recently had some blood work done for a life insurance policy. It showed my AST(SGOT) was high at 39. Everything else was normal besides my ALBUMIN which was 5.1. I was wondering if this means anything and if I should get this checked out.  The last time I had blood work done was about 4 years ago and it was normal. I lift heavy weights at the gym and take about 5 grams of creatine a day and protein drinks. The only medicine I take is Tylenol about once a week and Duratuss for my sinuses.  I also had the 3 hepatitis vaccine shots about 8 years ago. Thanks for any help.
39 is not high!!!not enough to worry about:  NAME AST/SGOT (Aspartate Aminotransferase)
NORMAL RANGE 5-35 U/L
DEFINITION This is an enzyme made in liver cells, similar to the ALT. It is also made in muscles, and can be released from damaged muscle, heart, kidney, and brain tissue. Therefore, the AST level can be affected by many conditions other than liver disease.
EXPLANATION
OF TEST
RESULT Elevated levels can mean liver damage. Often the AST and ALT levels will elevate at the same time.

It's probly from lifting weights, I dunno.  Ask your doctor if you are really concerned but I think its no biggie.
Hi - sorry it's hitting you hard. If you haven't tried Zyrtec to control the itching it might be worth a try. I started taking it months ago on Indiana's enthusiastic recommendation and it's enabled me to keep my sanity (I think..). It's an antihistamine, like benadryl, so you do pay a price in increased sluggishness but I found if I took it by 5-6pm the next morning isn't too hard (and it helps with insomnia)  The combination of  Arizona heat and tx-induced fatigue must be a real-challenge - can't last much longer now - maybe Timbo can send you some of that snow...Yesterday it was in the 90s again here (central CA) and I just gave up   and went wading in the ocean. Smiled for the first time in a while. Even minimal family demands can seem like beng asked to move a mountain - I found it really helps to make it clear to others that you can manage (a,b,c..) and no more - and then, on the hard days, try to get (a,b,c..) done early on. It's the unexpected, spur-of-the moment requests, reasonable as they may be, that can drive me over the edge when I'm close to it. Keep on   trucking..
Thanks for your note!  Yup, we had a little family talk yesterday and I hope it helps.  I do have the Zyrtec but didnt think it helped much.  Maybe I will have to try it again, since I am out of the benadryl.  Thanks for caring, it helps a lot!  OHC
I received results from my blood work today.  The AST(SGOT AND ALT (SGPT) were both high.  Any suggestions as to what I should do next?
I recently had a blood test for Insulin Resistant and a myriad of other ailments.  As an individual with an auto immune disorder, when my levels are flaged LOW, it is of great concern to me.

My AST (SGOT) level   8       LOW      ref. range    15  -   37

I'm still unfamiliar with the liver function.  My insulin resistant number has dropped from a 3.5 to a 2.7 (not a good sign)...I may be diabetic; I'll find out that very soon.

Thanks for your help.

I just had some blood work done last wk. Went to see my doc today and had informed me that my AST level are usually high 153 - that's four times higher than the normal range of 40.  Got some more blood work done today, perhaps it was a mistake.  but if it isn't. what would it mean: hepatitis??? transaminitis???
Hi ~ I don't have any answers for you, but your questions are going to drop off the bottom of the forum.  You may want to ask them again on a newer string so folks will see them.  Often we don't read this far down.
ambush :)
<br><hr><P><marquee direction="right"><Font face="Brush Script MT"size=+3<b>testing</b></font></marquee><br> <BR>
Rick is that you?
MY BROTHER RECENTLY GET TEST & FIND ASPARTATE AMINOTRANSFERASE(SGOT) I S39, AGE 25 ,IS IT ANY DANGER , HOW TO IMPROVE REGARDS

ARUN