Hepatitis C Community
hip c

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

hip c

when the docter tells  you that you are in stage 3 what does that really mean
Here is some info that might get you started.

METAVIR fibrosis grading scale:

Finding Score 0-4
No fibrosis 0
Portal fibrosis 1
Bridging fibrosis, slight 2
* Bridging fibrosis, marked 3
Cirrhosis 4

Please check out these links to info on liver staging and grading.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/410846_2
Fibrosis Stages and Necroinflammatory Activity Grades

http://janis7hepc.com/learning_about_liver_fibrosis2.htm#progression
FIBROSIS AND DISEASE PROGRESSION

http://www.pkids.org/pdf/phr/06-01liver.pdf

Hope this helps!
Hector
Hello fellow hep c'ers.  I am a 2 year post op liver transplant recipient, who just received news today that I have been offered to participate in the 3 drug therapy.  I will be the 3rd patient at my transplant facility.  The FDA hasn't approved it for post op liver transplants, but my doctor is going ahead with it pending on insurance and/or financial assistance.  Approx. 4 years ago I was on pegylated interferon/ribavirin therapy and lasted for 8 weeks before I thew in the towel.  I am excited for the opportunity, but as I am sure everyone is, dreading 9 months of hell.  I am in stage 2 fibrosis.  My heart is with all of you who are going through with this and look forward to hearing good news.  Being realistic, hope you share your positive/negative news.  
Hey welcome to the forum. This is fascinating news. .
I am posting to bump this along since there really is some great advice and support here.

When you say you threw in the towel when you treated those 8 weeks four years ago do you mean you stopped because you only responded partially? Or did you have no response to the meds whatsoever? There are lots of us on the Triple Therapy & treating 48 weeks (including me) so be sure to check in!

Hope this all works out with the insurance & other assistance!!
I'd like to encourage you to cut and paste this onto a new post so as not to have two different topics going on in one place.

Welcome to the forum. We've had a few other members who are post transplant, genotype 1 and beginning the new triple treatment.

Good luck~
I to am 2 years post liver tranx. too.  I was denied by my insurance for tx one year ago at stage 2 fibrosis . Now at stage 3/4 fibrosis i had a very difficult battle with insurance. I finally got approval for my triple therapy treatment.  I am the 8th at my tranx. hospital post liver tranx on triple tx. I can't tell you how important it is to start tx now,at a stage 2 fibrosis, if possible. Not many post tranx patients much further along than me, but all post tranx patients seem to be doing well. Immune supressents play a role in post tranx. Vic is the only meds used by my tranx team, per immunesupressents issues. Easier to regulate than telipivar. Good luck......