Hepatitis C Community
how common is hair Loss on the Interferon Traetment

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Hey I start my shots this friday and was reading alot of the post here.  I know that this may sound very weak but I am so scared of losing my hair.  How common is this side affect?
Tags: scared
Hi Sally,

Hair loss can vary from a change of texture and color only to a loss of maybe 30%? How long are you scheduled to treat for? It will also vary with duration of treatment as well. It doesn’t seem to fall out in clumps like cancer chemo; rather becomes brittle, breaks off, and becomes thin in that way. Some folks use things like Nioxin shampoo; the gals here will be much more help than me in this area; my hair was falling out on it’s own despite interferon :o).

Bill

Hi Sally:  I was also afraid of going bald!  I imagine everyone is different, I treated for 48 weeks.  My hair really thinned out, I kept it short it was so dry that I only needed to wash it every 3 - 4 days.  However, most of it stayed with me.  After I finished treatment almost immediately I noticed that my hair was getting oily, have to wash it almost everyday now, it's back to normal.  It's getting thicker and seems more healthy.  The only thing I notice is that it seems to be much lighter in colour, maybe I'm just going grey, and it's just one of those getting older things.

By the way:  Welcome to the Forum, lots of great info here!

Take care - Lynne
Better to lose your hair than your liver - think of it that way. Hair will grow back better than ever. I lost about 80% but now it's longer and healthier than it ever was.

You have to put things into perspective and think of them as to how important each is.  Your liver = your life.  None  of us wanted to lose our hair at all but once we were cured of the disease found out it was worth it in the end.

I bought loads of wigs off ebay and made it fun. ON the days I felt the worst and looked like a vampire the most I wore a big Farrah blond wig and totally distracted people from how i felt.  I'd match them to my outfits - different colors different styles.  

Yes I'm very glad to have my real hair back but you know once in a while I put a wig on to go out just for the fun of it.

Concentrate on beating the disease.......it's the most important thing of all - the rest will all resolve itself eventually.
I lost alot of hair during my 55 weeks of tx. Probably 70%. Even my physician said it was alot. However that was the least of my worries at the time...I knew it would grow back and it did..howver I have no more waves its straight as straight could be now.

I was too sick at the time to be thinking of my hair loss.
Hopefully you wont lose that much many people's hair just get thin...this tx effects everyone so differnetly. I had NO rashes and many people do.

Just take it one day at a time. best of luck.
Charm
I'm at 24 weeks and I'm just begining to see a little hair loss.  My friends don't seem to

notice. But, I have a lot of hair and I know it's thinner.

However, when you think about it what's a little hair over a life span?

Before treatment I purchased extra hair and falls, but I have not had to use them so far.

I think the hair is just a "girl thing." I don't know any women that aren't a little worried

about hair lost.  Don't get to excited you might not experience hair loss.

Before I started treatment I prepared  for lots of things that so far have not happened.

Try not to stress out.

Rosebud41
I am one of those people who lost a LOT of hair when on treatment.  My doctor seemed shocked at the amount of hair I lost because he originally told me it would be mild thinning at the most.  My hair loss started very early in treatment -- even within the first few weeks and continued all through treatment.  I estimate that I lost 80% of my hair -- to the point that I resorted to wearing a wig to work for the last 2 months of my 48 weeks of treatment.  

I am now 7 weeks post treatment and I am able to go without the wig now but I have a "Jamie Lee Curtis" type of style now.  The side peaks where my hair meets my forehead are still back further than usual and haven't filled in as much as I would like them to yet.  I have come to appreciate the short look because it's very easy to work with and I can spike it up so it's actually cute.

I fretted about my hair too but my best advice to you is to just let that worry go...let it go.  You just might be one of those who doesn't lose any hair but, if you do lose hair, there's nothing you can do about it but roll with it.  It WILL be okay.  
:) I'm over two years post treatment and my hair is half way down my back almost.  It grows pretty fast after treatment it seems (although hair usually grows about a half inch a month) I have had several hair cuts too.

My hair just became thin dry and frizzy during treatment, but I got some bald spots 2 weeks after I finished my 48 weeks. Now I'm 8 weeks post and I have allready gained  about 2 millimetres of hair. The spot covers just fine if I tie it in a knot, and that way I hide the frizzyness too =)
I've read that you may loose hair, but if you do it  grows back better than what you

originally had. Some woman doctor wrote an article about hair and tx.

NYgirl is living proof and I emphasis the word LIVING!!

You can buy new hair or wait until it really comes back twice as nice.

All the movie stars have extentions, clip on and weaves.

If your hair goes just pretend you're a movie star.

Look at Oprah her hair changes with the seasons.

Look at Britney Spears her hair sure grew back real, real fast after she shaved it all off.

You're A Star

Rosebud41

( think positive you might not loose your hair )
"I'm over two years post treatment and my hair is half way down my back almost."

Dude that's tough. You might consider waxing, but if you don't wear halter tops, maybe no one will notice anyway. Winters coming - avoid the back-to-front intimate moments and you should be OK until spring. Good luck.  
You are TOO funny! :)
  Lots of Ladies here with GREAT Attitudes...  have helped me to keep my focus on beating the virus and getting through treatment.  That IS the priority right now.   Lost alot of hair, but also had thyroid swings that I'm sure didn't help.  Shedding was really annoying.   Went to a wig shop  5 weeks ago week, got my hair cut real short, and left with one that put a Big Smile on my face....really.  Family and friends love it It's really helped to boost my spirits.  Wish I would have done it sooner!  Thyroid now stable and lots of little hairs coming in...I stay on Nioxen produsts, believe it helps.  Try not to worry...ONE DAY AT A TIME.  Lots of support here and even laughs...(thanks Goofy Dad!)  God Bless You ALL...

Hopeful587
week 33/72 and pressing on...

Out of all the suffering, and good days,  and good news, the hair thing drives me crazy. .
The more you think about it the more you notice it.  It freaks you out a bit when you see it, look for it, find it EVERYWHERE.  But you will also be amazed that you retain a lot.  
Really it will be fine.  You really will notice it the most.  Don't obsess over it.  I really am convinced that my weird moods and anxiety about my hair is also induced by the weird mental side effects of the meds.
For some reason I think a lot of us women can endure a lot without complaint, but mess with our hair and watch out!
You will be fine.  Don't stress about it.
V
P.S. I am agreement with everyone, it's worth it and a small price to pay for a healthy liver.
oh Lawd Goof........I can just see thanks to you how people picture me like a great big blond orangatan!  Well heck somedays that is definitely a major improvement ;) Taylor this is Zera, welcome to the planet of the apes.
--------------------

And yes the statement about celebritiets just about ALL wearing extensions is so true.  As often as they get their hair done a day for movies and stuff you have to know it's in horrible shape. Look at Jessica Simpson on her clip on hair - I never knew she didn't really have long flowing locks until it started getting advertised........all fake (well maybe not ALL but pretty darn close I'd say ;)

I had very thick and long hair when I started tx last November. It was all the way down my back to my butt. I'm 47/47 this week! I've lost some hair but no-one seems to notice it but me. Around 3 months ago I got it all cut off so it is shoulder length now. The shortest I've had it in 30 years. I got it cut to cheer myself up and to cover up what I thought was obvious thinning. Everyone loves the cut and when I'm asked why I got it cut I say "I Finally Decided to Grow Up". Much easier than going into the Hep C tx conversation. Works the same way with why I've lost so much weight. I tell them "Starvation Diet", when in reality its my "Hep C Tx Diet". Either way, the hair loss is a small sacrifice for a healthy liver. Try to stay upbeat!
Honey, you're gonna lose hair where you want it, and grow hair where you never grew it before.  It goes with the territory.  You just have to roll with it.  It comes back.

jd
and grow hair where you never grew it before.  

Sure. Sure. Blame it on the drugs... LOL
JD, Goof..............LOL  hahaha.  

I noticed my hair loss more than anyone else did.  I has grown back and all is well.  Now, the hairs on my face, I could do without.  Finally found a good pair of tweezers

Denise
I have natural curly hair. I usually wear it long and very curly. Then I started using a straighten iron. Before tx I got it cut in a short bob. you know longer in the front. The cut soooo many people have. I was told hair will look thicker shorter. I am 51, I guess its time.My hair is  I amit just looks it when curly. I am G2, I have 24 wks. I am now on wk 12. I have not noticed any hair loss----------yet. I wake up every day and look at my pilow! LOL I keep my hair highlighted, I hope that doesn't cause the hair loss.Since I have the new cut i use a straight iron.When there is not much humidity in winter it is very straight, without the iron. Another thing that happened to me , I had open heart surgery and I have never have to shave under my arms. It is smooth as a babys butt.Since I have been on tx the hair on my legs grows very little. I might shave every 2 wks just for stuble. One complaint I have is I haven't lost weight. I got down to 92 in the hosp. My average wt is 120 now it is 140. I am miserable Sx aren't that bad, things could be alot worse
Good Luck To all
I think there are stats that say a certain percentage lose hair on TX but I never heard of anyone who didn't.  It takes months to start falling out and then it is like running your fingers through your hair and finding 5-6 hairs in your fingers, or finding hair in the shower drain when you usually don't.  For the most part (unless you have an extended treatment period) your hair thins but it is most noticeable to you yourself,  It bugs us all but it stops falling out a few mos. after TX ends and it all grows back.  I worried about it a lot but now I wonder why I worried so much.  It's just one of the many things you get through.
My hair started falling out in chunks starting the 2nd month. Yuck!  My hair was thick, long, and curly so I probably had more to loose.  What remained was dry & frizzy but I managed to wear it up so you can't really tell.  It quit falling out in the last few months.  One good thing, no more shaving those legs and underarms!  
Funny thing, I thought I lost just a little hair thru tx, but now that it's growing back...omgosh...I have a little mohawk like thing going down the center of my head from the regrowth.

My point is....I didn't notice the hair loss until it came back. Hopefully you will be the same.  

I did color every 4 weeks (vanity) but other than that, really babied it.  That seemed to work for me.  

And like JD said about gaining hair where you dont want it....I now have this unicorn like waft of hair that sticks straight out from my forehead.....lovely.  Even my hairdresser is like...what's up with that???? It's only about 12 hairs thick, so we are watching to see what it will do....I'm thinking it needs a pluck.  But at least my eyebrows are no longer 3 inches long, lol!!!

Good luck to you

Isobella
You crack me up Isobella!!

My hairloss/thinning started about week 20 or so and it got worse over time. I finally cut it very short and it seems to help the breakage. Unfortunately, like Izzy, I'm having a spurt of hair growth, but only on the very top of my head. Who knows, I might start a new trend! I thought it would bother me more, but it's the least of my worries and I'm kinda liking the short "do".
I posted a really horrible picture of me from last night but it's the only picture taken recently - of course I wasn't aware it was being taken (or I would have turned totally away) and i look dreadful but.......................for anybody worried that this hair loss will be permanent or that their hair won't grow faster than it ever has in your life - that pic is less than 3 years post treatment.

3 years sounds like a long long time but let me tell you it went FAST  and I can hardly beleive it.

Hair grows an average of a half inch a month - so you can tell mine has grown faster than that and I have had several hair cuts in between.

Hope it helps you to hang in there and have faith. It DOES grow.
Now see just how much support you have here.

Even if you loose a little hair you'll have friends here to say you look great.

It's funny how, when you're sick, people alway say "you look wonderful."

When you're well they don't even notice you!!

So, get ready for lots of compliments.

Roebud41

20-30th week period was my worst, i lost a lot, it would clog up the drain almost everyday.  but i figured, the more you stress about it, the more you lose, by wk 40, i stopped caring about the hair and baby hair actually started sprouting up from my split before i finished treatment!
I'm 17 weeks post TX and have new, uninvited bangs from regrowth.  Someone told me they liked my new 'do and I almost said this is the post-chemo look.  Other body hair has returned but not underarm hair.  I feel like Cher, who had all of hers removed by electrolysis and secretly hope it never returns.
The underarm hair probally won't grow back. I had heart surgery almost 3 yrs ago it never grew back. It is very smoth, I like that. the hair on my legs has been very thin since the same surgery. I just took my 11th shot and so far no hair loss or any change in texture. It just itches alot
i have blond hair and have always bleached the roots,we'll my hairdresser has i just assumed he would add bleach,reading these blogs it doesn't sound like its a option.has any body bleached there hair or been able to keep it blond and if so what product.i'm also wondering what tx means.my program is pegasys rbv.
Hi there,

The term ‘Tx’ as used in here refers to treatment; your Pegasys and ribavirin are considered combination treatment for HCV. I can’t help much with hair issues, as you can probably tell from my profile pic :o).

You might want to start a new thread with your questions by clicking on the ‘post question’ button near the top of the page; this is an old thread, and you’ll be missed in here.

Good luck-

Bill
You are very right in what u are saying .. My hair started thinning way before treatment and I have been in a downer since then but it's a luck that I had some much hair in the first place and thick now it itches and by the end of the week I will shave it off .. But u have to look at it like u just explained but sometimes it's so upsetting and between everything is going on !! Hair is the first thing I think in the morning !! Take care
not many guys answering this ,
i will start treatment next year , i am already applying rogain as i have some thining , male pattern and i was taking propecia for 6 years but I have decided to stop recently as my liver is at stage 2 when it was stage 1  , 6 years ago , I think most people worry about hair loss
i had the same concern.  i have fantastic hair and I hate to see it go, I know that sounds vain.  I've read, and it appears to be true, that it's temporary just during treatment for it to thin out, not fall out, just got thinner.  I talked to a few friends that said after a couple months it went back to normal.  mine thinned a little. wil let you know in a few months.
Agree with NYgirl first reply.  Liver >>>>Hair.  I'm at week 23/48, noticeable thinning, but a minor price to pay.  Dr. said it'll come back after tx.  Grew a beard to end 2011 on a net positive hair gain.

Think big picture here.  Hair will do you no good w/o a functioning liver.

Robo
Oh, it falls out.  It definitely falls out.  That's how it thins!

But pros/cons, who cares?  I have long hair and it pains me to see it falling out...  But what's the alternative?  
I started with a thick head (no pun intended) of very wavy hair that went straight and much thinner now.  In some ways it a nice change and more time between haircuts.  

I've experienced some recent hair growth in other regions however: :-) http://www.medhelp.org/user_photos/show/242574?personal_page_id=2143363
Im 44 and I have to start soon.  Im more scared of the depression and feeling sick and lathargic all the time.  Im scared really bad
It can be very common. It is a scarey thaught to have your hair falling out and is very off putting when it actualy does but It's such a good trade off when trying to get to the goal of SVR! This is all a taugh process but at least it grows back : )  
Good luck you will be in my prayers!
my hair is thinning alot, do  my shot on fri nite and on monday-tues-wed i have alot of hair coming out in the shower, no bald spots or anything but ya losing alot of hair
Hi while I was told by my first Hep Doc that it was rare, I think it is much more common.  Everyone is different, some have a little thinning, some have a lot of thinning and like Gracie-Lue, some have bald spots, (so sorry Gracie-Lue).  If anyone has found a "trick" for it would love to hear.  Most people can not tell I am losing my hair, however my hair is all over our apt clogging showers and sinks, all over clothing, yeah, great idea that I mainly wear black.
I wear it up so I don't have to watch it fall as I can get obsessed with it.  Of course there are some days I have to leave it down due to head aches
Welcome to the forum, there are some awesome people here with lots of knowledge who give their time here even though they are not on tx and/or have SVR'd.  They are wonderful, I hope to do the same when I am SVR
Dee.  
Well, I just looked at this post and it started in 2009, just goes to show you
Keep one thing in your mind ,You are on treatment ,like me i am on a 3 drug regimen witch mean lots more posion in the  body i am at week 19 and have not noticed any hair lost from my head but when cooking be careful not to get hair in food the posion could hurt  kids or babies,I have  no hair under my arms since week 8 ,And i only shave my lower legs maybe once every month because a very tiny stubbes.I have no more hair on the top part of my legs Love that ,Even tho i have noticed not any of my  hair on my head falling out but it is so very itchy.Weather it will fall out or not i have not noticed  .Does not matter to me at all.I love the shave less area's and less body part not being hairy .Just pray to god after treatment i dont turn in to a hairy monster with hair growing every where,Oh i have lost most of my eyebrow since 8 week but no a sole has notice.I have very light colored hair and was not that hairy to start with .But bottom line is I will take door number 2 the good liver you can keep my hair if you like .I dont need it.I need a liver more.Best wishes to all .Hope you all  make it to SVR am on my way there.I will meet ya there.
My story is the same as all of you. It started falling out a few months into it and Im off TX's now, 3 weeks, and yes, its still coming out alittle. I trimmed my dead ends and it seemed to help. Someone up there said it best: your LIVER.......or your HAIR ?????   Its a very easy choice. BUT, I know how you all feel, I am a gospel singer (not that it matters) (vanity) and I have always had THICK THICK stay however you put it hair, and I have  NEVER been able to see through my hair to my scalp before, until now. I can feel the little hairs coming in.
But do or did any of  you have a very itchy scalp ? I keep making my daughter check my head for lice LOL and she says "MOM, THERE IS NOTHING THERE ! ! ! !" ........I get so irratated.
Anyway, Im glad to have found this board and Im happy everyone is ok. Im clear also and very grateful to God.
:-)
Irritation is a major side effect of hep c treatment as is hair loss.
Its three months since I stopped treatment. It took about 8 weeks for my hair to stop falling out. It just slowly fell out out less and less. I got a short cut which looks good and makes me feel like my hair is thick again. You can see little hairs about 2-3 inches long, growing back in.

It does take some time for the meds to clear out of our system. Three weeks is nothing. The best thing to do is eat well, continue to drink lots of water and be patient.
And BTW: lice don't make your hair fall out !
LOL i was just trippin because my head NEVER itches !   Thank you. Why are you orphaned?
Treatment does weird things to our skin including our scalp. Itching can be part of it being super dry. Try some coconut or olive oil.

When I joined this forum, I was caring for an orphaned hawk, hence the name.
She is pictured in my avatar.
I know exactly what you mean about the scalp itching!  I've had my daughter check my head for lice, too!!  I find that if I end my shower with cool water on my head it gives a little relief.  My hair is thinning a little but I'm only on shot #12/28.  I sure hope the itching goes away in a timely manner once treatment is over.  It's like watching an episode of Infested every day!  Hang in there.
robbijo
My scalp itched and burned like crazy on incivek.  I took a large scoop of coconut oil (found at your grocer near the shortening), microwaved it for 10 seconds, let it cool to the touch but stay liquid, wrapped a towel around my shoulders and poured this over my scalp and throughout my hair.  I would put a towel on my pillow and sleep with it or try to leave it on for at least an hour.  This eliminated the itching for me for 3 days at a time.  Guess it moisturizes my scalp.

When incivek was over the burning stopped and the itch reduced to a nuisance so I switched to olive oil.  I put this on half an hour before I showered.  I had to continue this for a couple months post tx.

I did not lose too much hair. Others could not notice, although I did.  Think keeping my scalp moist and itch free helped.  It certainly helped my sanity because it itched and burned like crazy on incivek.  You may wish to try the olive oil, it's simple to do and may help.
wow that is the 1st time ive heard that hair grew in straighter than before.10 10 10 i was admitted to a hospital..my stay was four months long..when i was released..my hair had been falling out for these 4 months..i was too hopped up onthe morphine to notice..when the hair grew back....well it was not straingt any longer...now i have kinky hair....lol...i start my treatment in dec 2012...imaybe when my hair falls out again...it will be straight again....wouldnt that be some thing....lol good luck to every one.....smile
iv
recently found out i hav hep c and will be recieving treatment in 4
weeks, im worried about hair loss, (i no it sounds shallow) and was
wondering if there was anything i can do to prevent it, i no i have
along way to go and i need to prioritise, i just have so much going
through my mind, losing my hair aswell just seems like and added stress,
I think most people have thinning hair.  Mine thinned out but didn't all
fall out.  I had that happen in cancer chemotherapy.  It thickens back up
not long after finishing treatment.  A hair piece would help with hiding the
thinning hair.  I hate stuff like that so didn't bother.  Remember that not everyone's hair thins out.  Bottom line is its just a bit of a hairdo challenge.
You can do it.
Welcome!! Try to start a new thread with anymore questions. The older ones have the little hour glass. You will get more responses with a new thread. I don't think everyone's hair falls out. But that said I don't think you can prevent it. There are some suggestion, like not washing it so often. But mine didn't start falling out until the 4th month of treatment. Its thick enough (I guess) that I probably won't loose all. I'm also only treating for 24 weeks, that helps. But don't worry about it. Yes get other things in order!! Best of luck to you!!:):).      
I  didnt wait, my head itched so much by week four I shaved it. LOL...I dont know if it would of thinned, changed colors, gotten brittle or fallen out. But I was so uncomfortable with the itch I had to break out the Bic, razor that is.
I lost 100% of my hair... Head, eyebrows, eyelashes, eyebrows, legs... The works. I have been off for 3 months now and I have a little stubble in just a few places. Anyone else have this problem. It seems like I lost way more than is normal and it should definitely be coming back by now. My doctors are a bit stumped and say to just wait it out, but I'm freaking out an little. Maybe I'm not the only one???
People don't use lorazap.  And many meds that might induce hair loss. I was on hep c due treatment shot a week and þpills a day for a year my hair started falling a bit before me starting those medications and I do think I took lorzapam at that time and I also took it through the whole year of hep treatment been of hep treatment for around 6months if not more. And did quit lorzapam around a couple of months ago. Hair hasnot grown back yet not even baby hair. I feel so sad lost my confidence.  It is visbile to me and everyone who really knew my hair and who didn't will notice I have thing hair and it is dry brittle and fragile easy to break or hurt as u play with your hair. Anyone used lorzapam for a year and had hair loss? Anyone who did that have hair regrowth success stories? Please help. All I can help with is donot take lorzapam it actually makes ue spirit and body feel worse dont ket the few hours it reliefs you trick you into thinking it would help. It doesnot! Try not to take any anti anxiety or anti depressants through hep treatment. Just go healthy eat excersize abd have fun. Please if anyone has anything to help me with. I started taking minoxidil less than a month ago. And I did take hair vitamins through the last 6months of treatment and after it till recently.