Hepatitis C Community
how contagious is it

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

how contagious is it

I recently used a diabetic ***** that had been used by someone who has hepititis (hepatitis) C. What are my chances of getting infected?
Do you mean a lancet.....a glucometer....a syringe?
If you used any of the above-mentioned, I would have myself tested now and then on a follow-up scheduled determined by a liver specialist (hepatologist). Since diabetics don't inject IV, hopefully you will be OK but do see a liver specialist and get tested.
I don't think testing is necessary if it was a glucometer which requires you to insert a strip so that the meter can read the glucose level.  Same syringe, lancet, yes.  I know there are more sophisticated glucometers out there now that just require 1 step which may have a higher risk.  I am not familiar with those, but I am very familiar with the Freesytle and inserting a strip into that meter would not pose any problem.
Trinity
If their blood could get into your blood stream (because we can't read what the starred out word is --- try spelling it with spaces in between the l e t t e r s   like that --- so we can understand your exact question).

I think it's needle n e e d l e...

But - I am not sure.

If you used a need le that they injected with already --- a syringe set up - then there is the possibility of contamination with HEP C.

If it is anything else - that does not allow their blood to get into your blood stream - then you are probably alright.

It was a lancet that I used. How quickly should I see a doctor?
The incubation period, from the time of exposure to the virus until the onset of the disease, is one to six months.
Antibodies to the virus can start to be detectable in the blood between 3-12 weeks after infection. Different peoples immune systems take different lengths of time to create antibodies, depending on the amount of time it takes for the virus to take hold in the body. This is called the window period. Because it can take 3 months or more for the antibodies to show up in a blood test, it is important to wait this long before having an antibody test if you suspect you have recently been infected.

According the U.S. CDC, “After a needlestick or sharps exposure to HCV-positive blood, the risk of HCV infection is approximately 1.8% (range: 0%–10%).”

http://www.cdc.gov/hepatitis/HCV/HCVfaq.htm#section3

These represent statistical odds, so they don’t help you much if you’re one of those that fall between the cracks. It’s probably worth a trip to the doc, and see if he believes antibody testing is in order.

It’s thought that the Hepatitis C virus has a ‘shelf life’ of ~72 hours on environmental surfaces. If the needle/sharp was used after that period, the risk of transmission might be considerably less.

Jeez, be careful with that stuff; HIV/HCV is no fun to manage—

Bill
Lancet
Ahh, maybe the word “diabetic p-r-i-c-k” was used in the original post. Medhelp uses a rather archaic profanity filter :o).
Should have added this as well:
A polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test may be given if infection is a strong possibility for instance in the case of a health care worker getting a needlestick injury. A PCR test becomes positive sooner than the antibody test but is not usually the first test given as it is more expensive.  So if you know you have been exposed to a high level of risk then ask for a PCR test.