Hepatitis C Community
how does disease run?

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

how does disease run?

I hve autoimmune hepatitis. I am in stage 1. How fast does this progress before you need a transplant? I know it is different for everyone, but would like a general idea. I was diagnosed in april this year, and my enzymes were in the 1400's,it went down and as soon as I got down to 5mg of predinisone it shot right back up again to the 900's, 2 weeks ago. Thank you.
I don't know much about auto immune hepatitis, but I thought it was treated with a two year regiment of steroids .  If you decrease the steroids and symptoms come back, the dose needs to be increased. It needs to be treated.

If you are not being treated by a hepatologist, you need to.  Do not leave this to a GI or a GP.

My sister-in-law developed auto-immune hepatitis and it really threw her for a loop.  I know at one time they decreased the steroid and she was symptomatic again.  She hated the weight gain and the chipmonk cheeks that steroids give you, but I am happy to say that several years later, she is back to her good old self  - liver enzymes at bay, weight back to normal and no steroids.
frijole