Hepatitis C Community
incivek and gout meds

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

incivek and gout meds

can I take Incivek and gout medication?
Good question, I'm not on tx yet but every so often I get a gout flare-up and need to take cholchicne (colcrys).
http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html
there is good accurate info at the link but as always you should consult with your doc about all meds being taken
As info, if you have Gout it may be exacerbated by the Incivek.

Uric Acid: During the INCIVEK combination treatment period, 73% of subjects had elevated uric acid levels compared to 29% for those treated with peginterferon alfa and ribavirin alone. Shifts to greater than or equal to 12.1 mg/dL from baseline in uric acid levels were also more frequent among subjects treated with INCIVEK (7%) compared to peg interferon alfa and ribavirin (1%). Less than 1% of subjects had clinical events of gout/gouty arthritis; none were serious and none resulted in treatment discontinuation.
susancowlishaw& Aquisi:

Colchicine is one of the meds that is shown to have an interaction effect with Incivek. It increases the the amount of concentration of this drug in the plasma that there is a warning to interrupt using it or taking at reduced doses while treating with Incivek.
Make sure you talk with a knowledgeable doctor about this beforehand

Will