Hepatitis C Community
incivek

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

incivek

what can i do about the anal PAIN during evacuation episodes? I used the cortizone crezm but can't anyone find an internal comforting agent like mint tea or something???
It brings me to tears and audible sobs.
I am sorry to hear that you are one of the people with the severe inner rectal pain. I had this problem so I know it well. I felt like I was passing shards of glass.

It took me a  bit to figure out a way to pretty much prevent it. When it first started I was afraid to take too much Loperimide for fear of getting constipated. However, what I eventually discovered was that I had to keep the stools firm, not hard like a rock, but quite firm, solid. If they got soft, even a little soft, they felt like passing shards of glass. And diarrhea, that was the worst.

So, as soon as I went in the morning, I made a decision from assessing the consistency of the stool, whether to take Loperimide or not. I took enough Loperimide to keep it firm (never more than recommended). I learned not to wait for the diarrhea to start or for very loose stools to start. Diarrhea is a recipe for 2-3 days of internal pain (shards of glass passing).  

If this is the same type of pain I had, I know it is internal. Nothing that one does to the external area will relieve this internal pain. The consistency of the stools has to be controlled. Also, Prep. H suppositiories will help the internal pain. I think it coats and heals the eroded areas.

For the hemorrhoids and the external itching and burning, I used Hemorrhoid suppositories (Prep. H), Prep H cream, and Hugglies with aloe baby wipes for keep the rectal area clean, very clean.

I hope you can get this under comtrol ASAP as I know it is extremely painful.
Gosh I'm sorry. That was a rough SE. I used balneol liquid n. Q Tips and a bland diet. Tucks seemed to make it worse. Mostly, I just endured. What week are you in? Maybe it will be better about week 7? Then the blood labs dumped for me. Sorry to hear it. This drug is a pain in the *%@#, but it works!
Good luck,
Karen
I didn't find anything over the counter that helped at all.
My NP prescribed me a nitroglyerin 0.2% ointment that helped.
so sorry you are having such a time of it. I am not on triple Thank God everyday! But what about sits baths? After I had my kids I had the dreded hemoriods omg! and that helped a ton.
What treatment are you on? Incivek?

I also got a prescription for some lidocaine with hydrocortizone cream from my doctor. This did not help the internal pain (I tried it) but it sure works well for anything external (pain and/or itching) because it numbs the area.
Sooooo sorry for them Incivek Blues.  Some people have taken their dose with olive oil, I don't know if it helps or not but anything is worth a try when it comes to a hurtin' brownie hole.lol Ouch, sorry!!  A poor man's treatment that seems to help others is to buy some witch hazel and dab a little bit on a cotton ball and dab it on up there.  Brings back a whole new image of "Brylcreem, a little dab'l do ya." :>)  good luck  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQBtw6nqFxY&feature=related
My husband has had that side effect from Week 2 to present (week 14). I think it's finally beginning to improve. It comes and goes, but it's been a difficult side effect, including anal bleeding:  hemorrhoid suppositories, hemorrhoid cream, lidocaine ointment, balneol, 1 imodium (immodium) a day, experimenting with diet, lots of water, keeping area clean and dry and protected with balneol...he didn't like tucks.  His NP believes that it is internal hemorrhoids caused by Incivek that develop fissures and don't have time to heal.
Advocate1955
I feel for you I really do, I think everyone who has been on incevik has had that problem, I had it so bad the a couple of times I would crush ice in a towel and then sit on it, I guess I thought if I froze it down there it would help.
I did use aloe vera baby wipes every single time I went to the bathroom, used prep h suppositories and prep h cream , sometimes it helped and a couple of times I ended up in the tub trying to stop the pain, I never had hemorrhoids before this. Anyway pooh5581 pretty much has listed everything, good luck...
i think you'll feel much better soon.....you are week 12 of incivek aren't you? i only had anal issues bad for a few weeks...if i ate a pear i felt burning worse..like karen said..a bland diet sounds right...good luck...billy
I soooooooooo know the feeling. All of the above are great suggestions. Even though I have finished treatment I can't seem to heal that part up. (You can bet I won't be eating any pears anytime soon!) It is really agony. I would add one more idea and if diarrhea and constipation are an issue, fiber really helped with that. But I still got the other stuff I just didn't need the imodium (immodium).. I keep seeing the witch hazel wipes but am afraid it would burn on raw inflamed skin! No?
  Thanks to you all for your commiserations !
- yeah pooh did cover it all. I believe the Imodium (immodium) will be my solution. last night I drank a 2 bag chamomile tea before bed and seemed to ease the pain. I have loose stool so I think that is the issue. It is all this dadgummed FAT they make me eat with the pills. Besides gaining weight I poop probably 6 times a day!
Yes I am on week 10 now. The real anal pain started 3 weeks ago and has intensified.
Did any of you find the telephone nurse from the incivek hot-line helpful?
I also need to drink more water.
It is nice to be able to express these personal 'pains' with someone who has been there done that  . .  Geaux Tigers 1/9 !!!!