Hepatitis C Community
insurance

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

insurance

good morning everyone!
hoping everyone had a good weekend.
quick question, pls use for other posts.
im about to loose my job. i have not started tx yet, plan to do so june of next yr, thinking about working at home, my finace has a home building buisness and he needs some major help taking care of the finance part.
will insurance co's not cover me with this pre-existing conditon?
or will my premium be outstanding. how can i get insurance or how can i establish insurance once my cobra is exhausted.
thanks!
meshell
Hi ~ I had the same insurance situation.  It is my understanding that as long as you keep continuous coverage, whether it be COBRA or an individual policy, they will not deny coverage due to a pre-existing condition.  Definitely check this out with the company you are dealing with!!  We paid HUGE premiums through COBRA after my hubby lost his job, just to keep insured knowing that tx was coming soon.  Then, when our COBRA ended (I was a few months into tx) we had to purchase an individual policy (even more money) through the same company.  Very scary......but it did work out OK.  Then, hubby got a job and we switched companies all together (very very scary) and spent many hours on the phone and working with employer, doctor's office, pharmacy, etc. to make it all happen.  Three insurance changes in three months ~ I don't recommend.  It will be a great advantage if the office help is on your side :)  Meds need to be pre-approved by a new company and that can take time as the doctor's office needs to forward medical records, etc.  I don't think they can charge you any different than the going rate due to your condition, either.  I believe that once your COBRA is exhausted, you can simply sign up for an individual policy with the providing company.  Another good phone call to make now, so you know.
As another thought........be sure any life insurance you may have stays current because with HCV, they would never reinstate the policy.  Good Luck !!!  ambush :)
I also got caught up in this dilemma earlier this year and found federal insurance reform laws on the net that helped my situation. Try this link for a place to start looking for coverage info.

http://cms.hhs.gov/hipaa/hipaa1/content/cons.asp

Tosser

My husband changed jobs and after I looked into the new insurance I saw that if I went 6mos. w/out seeing a Dr. or filling a script or being recommended to see a Dr. about a condition, it was no longer pre-existing. If I would have had to see a Dr. in the meantime, it would have been a year before they would pay. It was kind of scary, but I discussed it w/ my G.I. and we prepared and now I am only waiting to see if they are going to try to make me wait a year or if 6 mos. w/out anything but lasix is good enough. I had to take the lasix to prevent edema after liver failure. Best of luck to you and you'll be in my prayers.  Joni
thanks everyone, somethings to think about.
layla, that was funny, i had to think twice about what you were talkding about, then figured it out, took some time tho, even tho im not on tx i have major BF!

take care!
me
It's not preexisting if you have continuous coverage. If you have continued coverage with no lapses being covered(including cobra) preexisting is excluded. BUT if the new insurance company your switching to does not cover HCV then you won't be covered for that condition. It has to be included in the new coverage policy. If this was the case you can elect to keep cobra along with the new coverage up to 18 months so you can take advantage of that coverage if needed. When talking to a insurance company I was informed this is the law. I have recently just done all this and found it to be true. Good luck. LL
Sorry , that was to you not to myself. I declare brain fog. LL
Sorry forgot to add, that there is good ins., financial aid info on janis7hepc.com Joni
Health