Hepatitis C Community
is c-section a safer way?

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

is c-section a safer way?

I'M GETTING MIXED MESSAGES I JUST FOUND OUT I HAVE HEP C DURING THIS PREGNANCY I WOULD ASSUME NATURAL WITHOUT A FETAL MONITOR WAS SAFER THAN GETTING A C-SECTION WHERE YOU GET CUT ....AS I READ COMMENTS WOMEN ARE HAVING C-SECTIONS SAYING THEY ARE SAFER ALSO I DON'T KNOW WHAT ANYONE MEANS BY GENO TYPE I'M SO NEW AND IGNORANT TO THIS WHOLE THING ALL I KNOW IS I HAVE A VIRAL COUNT JUST BELOW 18 THOUSAND AND I HAVE TO GO BACK TO THE INFECTIOUS BLOOD SPECIALIST AFTER THE BABY IS BORN TO GET RETESTED AND I'LL NEED THE BABY TESTED AT BIRTH AS WELL AS AT 18 MONTHS  MY OBGYN SAID SHE HAS DELIVERED BABIES TO A HEP B CARRIERS AND JUST DIDNT USE A MONITOR AND THE BABY WAS FINE AS I READ I SEE THE MEDICATION REALLY TAKES A TOLL ON PEPLE LIKE HAIR FALLING OUT AND SICK THIS IS REALLY SCARING ME WOW
My wife specializes in Labor and Delivery at her hospital.

In most cases, the Dr makes it MANDATORY for patient to have C-section if they are a carrier. This is not only for HCV, but other diseases. During c-section they can control bleeding, and it greatly reduces the risk of infection.

I was a natural birth baby, and one of the lucky 2-5% they suspect catch it from their mother. She has same genotype I do.
If you really need info about this, I can have my wife post what she knows.
What I've read does say a c-section is safer, but I've never understood why because there is going to be blood. I even asked my GI and he couldn't tell me. When I had c-sections I didn't know I had hepC. I had the c-sections because that was the only way I could get the babies out. I'm fairly certain they used fetal monitors both times (I know they did the first time for sure) and neither of my children have hepC (they are 22 and 15 now).

One thing to be aware of: babies can carry the antibodies at birth but not have the virus later. I'm not sure if that is because they carry many maternal antibodies at that point, or whether they are exposed to the virus and then fight it off. But I do know there have been many women who have appeared here at Medhelp over the two or three years I've been around who have been wild with worry because their newborn tests positive for the antibodies.

I know pregnancy is a time to worry, but really, really, try not to. Pregnancy can be a real benefit for your liver. I read that the proliferation of estrogen, as well as the condition of pregnancy is GOOD for your liver (there was an article in the New York Times within the last year). Apparently they found fetal liver cells in the mother's liver so that helped it regenerate during pregnancy. If pregnancy does improve liver histology, it's a much more pleasant way to do it with the interferon treatment!

I nursed both of my babies (the first one five months, the second a year and a half). If I were you, I wouldn't even consider treatment until that was complete. Of course, you have your own decision to make, but you can take your time and plan to enjoy your child during their babyhood which turns out to be all too brief from my vantagepoint (but I do remember the lack of sleep which made it <i>seem</i> to last a long time then).

Take care.
The reason a c-section is safer, is when they cut you open, the baby is still protected in the sack. They can remove the fetus before the chance of infection.

During natural child birth, the protective sack usually is broken on the way out, thus the 5% chance of being infected with HCV..

I faced the same questions two years ago and my hepatologist & OB both agreed that a natural delivery was just as safe as a C-section for the baby, and safer for me.  One thing you have to consider with a c-section is a heightened risk to the mother.  There have been studies conducted in this area though & I'll try to do a quick search & let you know what I find either way.
My doctor told me that there wasn't much research to either support or debate the idea that C section was safer.  Hep C is been around forever but only lately we are hearing more and more about it.  Unfortunately this means that there isn't much research on it.  Every doctor you talk to will give you their opinion.  At one point I just decided to trust my doctor and I did whatever he told me to.  I hope everything goes well.  I know what you might be going through and my prays are with you.  

Gabbe
I actually work in a high risk L&D, and women with high viral loads (in the millions) are usually offered the option of an elective C/S, while those with lower loads are encouraged to deliver naturally, without the use of internal monitors.  

Unfortunately, this methodology is not based on any particular science--there simply isn't much to go on, as dedicated research hasn't been done in this area as it has been with HIV.  

Shanda--certainly, if you are adamant about having as little risk as possible, I don't believe any competent OB would refuse to do a C/S.  You certainly have a VERY low viral load, and if you are interested in a vaginal delivery, you are probably about as low risk as they come.  Bear in mind that EITHER way, the risk of transmission is not zero.

Bottom line--discuss your issues with a specialist in Maternal-Fetal Medicine.  These specialists have the greatest knowledge of current trends and recommendations for delivery than a community OB.  If you choose to seek out such an opinion, ask your OB for a referral.  No one should have a problem referring you.

Interesting what you say. In my case, I went through two full labors (with broken water and everything) before they did the c-sections... But they didn't know then that I had hepC either.
THANKS ALOT FOR ALL OF YOUR SUPPORT THERES SO MUCH IM YRYING TO UNDERSTAND AND LEARN ABOUT THIS ITS SO OVERWHELMING I JUST WANT EVERYTHING TO BE OK I WANT TO HAVE HER NATURAL AS WELL AS BREASTFEED HER THANKYOU AGAIN AND IF YOU COULD GIVE ME ALL THE INFO ON THIS THAT YOU CAN PLEASE POST IT I APPRECIATE IT
by all means, breastfeed as long as you can.
if 4 + yrs of breastfeeding did not infect my child,  I think you are safe to try your hand with your girl.
I have no studies to share on delivery safety. I was 11 hrs in labor, had vaginal delivery, some hemorraging, and after 4+ yrs of breastmilk. my girl is negative,  intelligent , gorgeous,  and other than allergies, no medical problems. If I had not breastfed, she might have had more severe allergies and asthma. Her asthma and allergies are milder than many and i give credit to the wonders of mother's milk, and  the emotional  bonding has no match.
I hope you find your answers soon

My first child was born via c-section and the second child via VBAC. Both are neg.  I was told by hep dr that the risk was the same.  Also read some study that indicated transmission b/w mother and child is greatest when vital load is very high or there is HIV present.
PS - breastfed both boys.  Once breastfed my child not realizing I had a cracked nipple.
Hope that helps.
PPS - I thought I heard that if a child is infected at birth, they have a greater chance of clearing the virus than had they been infected later in life.

I am new here and I am glad to read this because I am planning to have a baby this 2010 unfortunately I was tested positive HCV. I am in dilemma of having a child or not because of the risk of passing the vius to my child. I for myself do not know where did I get it. I suspect of mother-fetus but cannot prove it because my mother is already in our God's hand.
Let just hope that our future children will not get this from us and in the future researcher  will find a good better treatment for this kind of infection.