Hepatitis C Community
itchy head/scalp

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

itchy head/scalp

I just started treatment 5wks ago and have noticed that my head has been really itchy lately and Im starting to get dry scalp, could this be a side effect of the treatment?  Im drinking about 100oz of water a day.
Yup, it's the treatment.  I really suffered from this, it drove me crazy!  You need to stop washing your hair often.  It won't really need it anyway.  I rinsed it with conditioner and washed it about once a week.  Before I could only go about 2 days between washing.
Use a good product that won't dry out your scalp.  When it got really bad I would rub olive oil in my scalp and leave it there then wash it out.
About a month later after finishing tx the oil is appearing, yeah!
The best product I found was Nioxin scalp therapy in the turquoise bottle.  I got in a kit at a beauty supply for about 20 bucks.  It helped. I recommend it.
Best of luck to you.
V
Definately the tx.  Expect your hair and scalp to be really dry for the duration.  Many of us have that.  I know it sounds awful, but you may want to cut way back on the frequency with which you shampoo your hair.  It won't get oily, that's for sure.

Keep drinking that water, it will help you a lot.  Good luck.

jd
Oh yeah.  My scalp is downright scaly.  I have always had oily skin and never even had dandruff before tx.  

I am down to washing my hair twice a week now.  I also use leave-in conditioner.  The itchy scalp got better for me over time, even though the dryness got worse.  I hope yours stops itching too :)

Jelise
if the itching gets intolerable ask your doctor for Atarax prescription
Try Neutrogena T Gel shampoo. It stinks but it helped me with the intolerable itching.
Its a side effect from the meds .I did what vic1967 did which is not to wash my hair as much and it pretty much went away.It was bad like I was seeing alot of dead dry skin but at the time i didn't know what it was so it freak me out.because I never even had dandruff.Also I  have dry patches  all over my body like my hands and arms  so it get so itchy that it drives me crazy. I itch until I bleed.I think the winter makes it worst.I live in ct were its cold so it drys out everything out even more.
This drove me nuts for months.  Next time, I'll definitely pursue a script for Atarax.  This last time, I got some relief from itchy scalp with a topical steroid (prednisone) preparation.

Get some Scalpicin!