Hepatitis C Community
joint pain

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

joint pain

It's been a really long time, four years since the treatment ended still clear.I'm having trouble concentrating and have a lot of joint pain doesn't seem to leave every doctor blames it on the other doctor one any one out have any idea if it ever goes away
I have to say that, going only by what I see on this forum since my SVR in April 2009, one of the most common complaints of residual effects after treatment is joint pain.  My physician's diagnosis is arthritis.  Maybe I would have gotten arthritis anyway but the fact remains I didn't have any arthritis prior to treatment and I have very noticeable arthritis now to the point where it hurts my knees quite a bit to lift myself out of a chair and hurts going down stairs.   I would say it's a coincidence if I didn't also see the same result from others who have undergone treatment.  

Since I also have thyroid issues that are permanent resulting from treatment and that is an autoimmune issue, I had the blood test done for rheumatoid arthritis as that's an autoimmune issue and having one makes you more susceptible to additional ones.  That came back negative so that helps me and my doctor know how to treat my arthritis appropriately.  

On the bright side .... while I experience pain going down stairs and getting up out of a chair or getting up from a kneeling position (considerable pain there), it doesn't stop me from playing squash or running and those activities don't cause me residual grief.  My doctor told me I can do whatever I can tolerate, so I would suggest that you stretch yourself and not assume that because you have joint pain, it would stop you from doing activities that involve using your joints heavily.  

Trish
Add me to the list of people with "post" tx joint pain which I attribute to treatment.  It has been 1.5 yrs since I finished tx.
I'm curious if you had any joint pain prior to treatment.  Just informally noting such details.  Thanks, copy.
I had some neck and shoulder problems but now it's ankle's knee's elbow's wrists finger joints still have problems with neck and shoulders I can just be sitting watching tv  and the pain just starts. I'm 56 and the 85 year old people who live behind me walk faster than me and yet when you talk to your doctors it's everything but the treatment and on top of that I get brain freeze my wife and kids will be talking to me and I go in to another zone I don't even realize they are talking to me, sometimes with my wife that's good that's what I deal with fours later
Once again see a Rheumy.  I had a brain MRI to rule out MS and many other tests and the diagnosis is fibromyalgia.  I had a few of the symptoms pre TX but almost 3 years later I have a lot more.

Denise
Trish, i had some joint pain before treating but it is a lot worse now.

GSD, is it true they blame fibromyalgia when they can't find anything else. Is there such a thing as fibromyalgia?
I had no problems pre-tx and very few during tx - and most of those seemed worse the less mobile I was towards the end. About 2-3 months post, my sx closely mimic Trish's, especially the knees and getting to a standing position from kneeling or sitting and going DOWN stairs. Mornings are the worst, but things get better once I start moving around. I have a desk job, so I need to walk for at least 5 minutes each hour to prevent stiffening up again.

I've been checked for RA, Lymes, bone density was normal. Fibro was tossed around, but haven't pursued that avenue yet because the symptoms just don't seem to jive with mine. Vit. D was very low and I have been taking 2000 per day per Dr. recommendation. Don't know if that is helping, but I'm not quite so gimpy as before.

It's kinda hard to get answers because my HCV Dr. says go to my PCP because this isn't their specialty - and the PCP doesn't really know what to think about it after being on tx meds for so long. I just want to make sure this isn't some inflammatory issue that will worsen down the line - and then someone will say that I should have come in earlier and done something about it. Frustrating!
In my case it was a pretty drawn out process for the diagnosis.  One doc told me all the pain was from depression, here is just one article but there are a whole lot more

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/06/070601182522.htm
I understand what you are going through. Im clear since 2005 and during the treatment I wasnt as bad as others have been painwise. It was more depression for the last 3 ths near done me in. But since then I have been having the worst joint pains..hips,back, shoulders, jaw, wrist, knee, ankle. Docs say I dont have arthritis or osteoporosis. Treating me like a hypochondriac. Its so bad the only thing that works for me is alcohol. Self medicating with wine as I cant stand being in this pain any more.

I had some slight stiffness when I had hep c but nothing like now. I am glad to be free of the virus but Im worried the interferon and ribovaron can cause serious damage to you long term
This thread is about six months old.  

For you - have you had your thyroid tested and have you been tested for rheumatoid arthritis?  

Self-medicating with wine?  Has to be a better way than that....trade off one type of liver disease for another?  Doesn't make sense.