Hepatitis C Community
lab results

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

lab results

My four week blood test came back Hep C negative. Not sure why they didn't say undetectable, but I'll take a negative.
having problems with low wbc and hemoglobins. Now the procit approval starts.
I forgot to ask the nurse why my platelets were so low ( 25 ) and if the procrit will raise them.
Well I'm happy with my 4 week results. It was not expected, I thought I would have a harder time with my liver damage.
At least now I know why I've been so tired. Hoping I get the procrit before I get into dangerous levels. Very happy today........
congrats on you undetectable RVR status, that's wonderful news. What test did they use by the way? Do you know the sensitivity of the pcr.

To my knowledge procrit will only help with your HGB, not your platelets. It's good that you are UND because you will probably have to lower your interferon dose or take neumega or promacta to increase your platelet count and many doctors will not use those drugs during tx.   Worth discussing with your doc though.

This is wonderful news, congratulations!
-Dave
That's great news streamline...........I would have done anything for an RVR!  
Great news  on the RVR.. congrats!!
Procrit and Neupogen(if needed) will help..and lets hope your plats stabilize.
Will
Congratulations!!!! Awesome!!
They used heptimax (R) HCE RNA. Still waiting for the Hepatitis TMA test results. I have no idea want that is. I didn't get to talk to the doctor. The nurse said the only thing to be concerned about was getting procrit. I don't have another appt with him until after 12 week blood test. He didn't want to see me with this visit, just give results over the phone. Hope he knows what he's doing. i was thinking the same thing about Neupogern. Platelets are at 25 maybe not to worry yet?

ALT22  AST25 I haven't seen levels like that since, well I don't think I've ever seen level like that. Incivek is truly a miracle drug.....
Quest's Heptimax test is a two part test, RT-PCR first, then if negative, then do the TMA.

1.  Real-time polymerase chain reaction (PCR), for samples with <43 IU/mL followed by
2. Quantitative transcription-mediated amplification (TMA) <5 IU/mL HCV RNA

http://www.questdiagnostics.com/hcp/intguide/jsp/showintguidepage.jsp?fn=TS_Heptimax.htm

As of right now you are UND @ <43 IU/mL and if also negative for the TMA, then UND @ <5 IU/mL, the lower sensitivity level.

Looking great and congratulations to you.  This is wonderful to see!  Hope you see the same with the TMA.
great news....hope all goes well....billy
Thank you so much Billy. Hang in there things are going to work out for you too.
Its great to here that, makes me feel confident I go for my 4 week test tommorrow. Great news
Joe
Wonderful news.  I am very happy for you.  Wishing you continued success and a little procrit is sure to help you.  Congrats!!!
Happy to hear about your 4 week UND, but your platelets at 25,00 are concerning for me - especially since you don't have another appt. until the 12 week mark. Platelets tend to bounce around a bit on tx, but 25,000 is pushing the limits for many Dr.s. My Dr. was pretty aggressive and said she would let mine go as low as 24, 000 before she'd intervene, so maybe that's the cause of my concern for you.

Did they give you any precautions with the low platelets - like no driving to avoid accidents, watching for falls, nosebleeds, etc. ? I may be over reacting, but I think this warrants another call to the Dr. to discuss these levels, especially to see if they shouldn't be monitored more closely.

Wishing you well, Pam
Yay - you are on your way.  Congratulations!
CONGRATS !!!!  Great first test  and keep up the good work.
My doctor was busy today. It was just a phone conversation with an office person . I was calling to get my 4 week VL and was told It was negative and when I started asking question the person wasn't qualified to answer. She would only tell me that my hemoglobin's were low and procrit would be ordered for me. I then ran and picked up the blood work.

I'll call in a day or two when I know there is a qualified person to talk to and see if the procrit was ordered and I'll ask her questions. If I don't get the answers I'll just make an appt. to talk to the doctor. I'll be able to get an appt right away. There usually isn't a wait when need to see him. Don't worry I will keep up on this, it's to important to me. Atleast I know they're working on getting procrit approved. I'm very conscience of my platelets, they've been low for awhile, but not this low.I'm sure It will work out. I know he's  said he's treated people with platelets in the 20's and I know it's dangerous when they go this low.

Thanks again for the concern, I'll let you know how it all works out.
The one thing they said to me today that made me feel so good was that the virus was no longer attacking my liver. I wish this feeling on everyone. I've felt great all day.
Reading over what you wrote I'll ask if the doctor wants me to go for blood work sooner and if he has intention of intervening if they drop any lower. Thanks. didn't think to ask that.
re reading your post too. I'm hoping that's not the case about loweing the interferon. It's obviously working and I think way to early for that. I;ll definitely find out more this week or my next week the lastest.
That's awesome news on your results.  Procrit only helps with your hgb and neupogen only helps with your wbc (granulocytes, to be specific).  There has been speculation on the boards here that people with hcv may be able to withstand lower wbc's than people with, say, cancer (without resorting to neupogen), because we aren't as systemically ill as people with cancer when we go into tx.

At any rate, I had to take a lot of procrit on tx, and relatively less of the neupogen even though my wbc was also low a lot of the time.  (I also thought the neupogen had more undesirable side effects than the procrit).

The low platelet count, 25, is QUITE low.  Thrombocytopenia, at a count of 10, is treated with platelet transfusions, I think.  So...  I would probably ask for a referral to a hematologist at this point.  I'm slightly scared that they could try to reduce or pull your treatment if your platelet count stays down and that would be a shame with you doing so well.  Sometimes the support of a good hematologist can keep that from happening.  It's the only way I got through tx.

Immunoglobulin is also not a preferred treatment for those on tx for hcv, generally, because you don't want to give something that is going to lower your immune system while on treatment.  (Nevermind that they gave me both IV immunoglobulin AND steroids and I still SVR'd, I'm just trying to give you the info in advance, just in case).    
Singing "Congratulations!" to YOU. Oh girl. What wonderful news to hear!!I I read ur post fast... long day. Let us know about the other results. Good reading earlier today on low blood counts n Procrit w/ reduced Riba. I hope you get to talk to Dr. I'm gonna do whatever it takes to stay on tx. Ya with me? haha?  I go for my 4 week visit Thursday. I'm hoping since I have to travel, they'll give me results immediately. They always make me go in early n wait for STAT results. I just know you're having a great evening... Karen
Thanks all the info I can get is appreciated. This doctor never seemed to be worried about low platelets. I only know that because It's always a concern of mine. Having the most information I can is all I can do right now.
you bet I'm enjoying tonight. I'm RVR and still have 25 platelets LOL

Good luck. I want to hear good news from you too. We have to keep the momentum going....:)
Sorry folks looks like I gave you the wrong numbers. I mis read the report. All I have right now is I'm negative by the Doctor word of mouth. I just realized the report they gave me did not have any numbers on it. somehow I just assumed it was the <43 adequate.

'llI find out tomorrow what my numbers are. Sure hope he didn't make a mistake. Well If I'm not negative, someone is.

It's going to be a long night. A lesson for all, watch you reports closely and learn how to interpret them, we want to watch the doctors because they can make mistakes just like we cam.  Hope I still have good news to share tomorrow maybe with the right numbers.
i hope you have great news tomorrow.  please let us know.  our fingers are crossed for your success.  good luck.  belle