Hepatitis C Community
light color stool

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

light color stool

I have hepatitis, and i have noticed the color of my stool to be a very light color. What does this mean? and does anyone else have this symtom?
what kind of hepatitis do you have?
The stool is colored by bile so a pale stool may indicate a blockage of the biliary ducts. You should talk to your doctor about this.  Mike
I read my post and thought I might have been to brief. I am not suggesting that I know this is the cause of your "light colored stool" but it is a possibility. My experience has been that I worried unnecessarily about this stuff and then I had a very pale colored stool almost white - and there was no doubt in my mind that I had a problem at that time. The previous concern I had was unwarranted and back then I was too anxious about all things liver related. But, if this is something that you are worried about I advise you to consult your doctor or find a GI or Hepatologist and get seen. Mike
Light stool + dark urine = classic hep signs. Jaundice may be next.

If it IS hep, its in the acute phase, which is the right time to find out which type you have. Hep A is highly contagious, so get some blood work done pronto.
Bile is formed in the liver and stored in the gall bladder...light stools could be from several things. It could also be from severe anemia.  But I definitely agree with APKhaos...get some bloodwork done!
so increased bile secretion make decreased stool color, and vice versa?
Do you have dark colored urine?  Normally, if you have 1, you have the other, meaning light colored stool and dark urine.  these are classic signs of hepatitis, confirmed by an elevated level of bilirubin and a decreased level of albumin.  When you have your blood work done, look in the 'hepatic' (liver)section for bilirubin, alt and ast.  The albumin level will be in the renal (kidney) section.

The alt and ast are two enzymes which are an indication of liver function.  the lower the number, the better.  Normal ast is <40 or so.  Normal alt is <55 or so.  Normal bilirubin is 2.5 or so.