Hepatitis C Community
liver enzymes

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

liver enzymes

Is it normal for liver enzymes to still be high, even though i was "cured" through interferon etc a few years ago? And is it normal to still have fatty liver? Days before last test I had been taken pain pills due to back and thought that could have been why?? In your forum i read how taking steroids injectables wouldnt be a horrible thing as long as you were off thye interferon. Is that true? I work out daily and as i am getting older with less energy thought maybe a little steroids would help? a lot of questions for you all at once but thank you in advance for answering them.
Steroids in the blood stream: bad.  Oral steroids are a bad idea because they suppress the immune response (you hyped it up to cure HCV).  Steroids injected locally are fine, they will stay there in a joint and won't enter the bloodstream. Steroid cream on skin is okay.  I once read that cured HCV patients should wait a while before using oral steroids; I think I won't ever use them again and I tell my doctors that before they prescribe.

Your liver enzymes should be normal.  Look for a cause for them being high.  One of the 2 enzymes is also made (and released from) muscle, so may not mean liver problem but if both are elevated, there's probably something going on.  Fatty liver is a liver disease all on its own and may be the reason for the elevated enzymes.  Also google all of the medications and over the counter drugs that you take.  You will be surprised at how the most common things can cause liver damage.  There is a good list of potentially toxic medications at this site:
http://www.hepcnet.net/drugsandliverdamage.html

you want to avoid steroids like the plauge with LD. that should be a last resort not a first.

most all pain killers raise liver enzymes. None that I know of are truly liver friendly and some are downright mean and damaging.

You might want to try going on a liver friendly, NASH reversal diet. There are foods and supplements that can reduce your inflammation as well as help your NASH to reverse.

PM me if you want more info on this.