Hepatitis C Community
liver ultrasound

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

liver ultrasound

does anyone know how sensitive liver ultrasound is for cirrhosis and/or fibrosis?  I had one done, and all it showed was mild fatty liver. Luckily, no ascites or obvious masses, etc.  
Also, I am going for a liver biopsy next week.  Any thoughts as to ultrasound guided vs CT guided.  I am a bit freaked out over the small but present risk of hemmorhage, perforation, pneumo, etc.
Ultrasound loo0ks for lesions or masses. It is not a sensitive test for cirrhosis. My last ultrasound showed fatty liver of normal size with no other problems. I have had cirrhosis for at least 20 years. There are markers in your lab work that would hint at cirrhosis. They would be low platelets, low red and white counts. Good luck with your biopsy. You will be fine.
Ultrasound has poor sensitivity when it comes to identifying cirrhosis.  It's not unusual for those with active hep c to also have fatty liver... but good that you were cleared for masses and ascites.  As most people who have had liver biopsies will tell you, the anticipation is worse than the even... my husband was anxious and sleepless before his procedure, and laughed afterwards at getting all worked up over "a piece of cake."  Even with low platelets and pre-existing bleeding risk, he did fine... try not to worry too much!  It will give you important information about the health of your liver that an ultrasound can't; best of luck with the procedure.  Btw, welcome to the forum. ~eureka
This may be more info than you care for, but US can't distinguish between fatty infiltration and cirrhosis.The echogenics are consistent between the two. The majoritty of cases will be fatty liver. Good luck.